Bad Cut On The Ear

Maggie-Mae had to go to the e-vet yesterday for a badly cut ear :( we think she cut it on a rose bush...it bled so bad that it looked like someone was murdered in our driveway and she was covered in blood :omg

She has 2 sutures to hold it together and skin glue for the rest that couldn't be sewn together.

Problem is that she keeps shaking her head and it starts bleeding again :( we put clot stop on it to help stop the bleeding but we having been trying to keep her ear wrapped to her head and the wrap just won't stay, she shakes and the wrap falls backwards off her head exposing her ear....any suggestions on what we should do? E-vet wasn't very helpful in that regard.

Thanks!

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

We went through the same exact problem with Angel LaceyLaine. Even though she had 4 sutures it continued to bleed with head shaking. The head wrap would not stay on...she got that off in the matter of seconds. ER ended up bandaging her whole ear and it bothered her because she was always an ears up gal. The weight of the bandage held her ear down...and she did paw at it and shake her head but she finally gave up and let it be. One thing I will say however...when they took her sutures out...the ear started bleeding again. :blush

100_0257.jpg

Sending hugs! :grouphug

Edited by patricia

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest KateWantsaGrey
We went through the same exact problem with Angel LaceyLaine. Even though she had 4 sutures it continued to bleed with head shaking. The head wrap would not stay on...she got that off in the matter of seconds. ER ended up bandaging her whole ear and it bothered her because she was always an ear up gal. The weight of the bandage held her ear down...and she did paw at it and shake her head but she finally gave up and let it be. One thing I will say however...when they took her sutures out...the ear started bleeding again. :blush

100_0257.jpg

:lol:blush that is too cute!

Didn't Greg who has Isis and Bijou have a foster with an ear bandage? Might PM him -- if someone remembers his user name, arrrrrrrrrgh -- and see if he would have some suggestions.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Suzi, I have vetwrap if you need some. I will bring it with me today, in case you are still going on the walk!

Yes! Thank you! I will be bringing Maggie with me but Alan is staying home, his foot is bad :(

We went through the same exact problem with Angel LaceyLaine. Even though she had 4 sutures it continued to bleed with head shaking. The head wrap would not stay on...she got that off in the matter of seconds. ER ended up bandaging her whole ear and it bothered her because she was always an ears up gal. The weight of the bandage held her ear down...and she did paw at it and shake her head but she finally gave up and let it be. One thing I will say however...when they took her sutures out...the ear started bleeding again. :blush

100_0257.jpg

Thanks Patti! Poor LaceyLaine :( what kind of tape is on her ear? Is that vet wrap?

I hate rose bushes. After a friend's grey lost part of his tail, I ripped out the one and only rose bush in my back yard :(

Have you tried vet wrap? Does your regular vet do ear crops? If so, he'll know how to bandage it properly to her head.

Sending prayers!

Rose bush is now gone! uuuuggghhhh....had it for years without one problem and never even thought it would be a problem till now :(

I will ask my Vet about it on Monday

Edited by greytdecals

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

Suzi, I have vetwrap if you need some. I will bring it with me today, in case you are still going on the walk!

Yes! Thank you! I will be bringing Maggie with me but Alan is staying home, his foot is bad :(

100_0257.jpg

Thanks Patti! Poor LaceyLaine :( what kind of tape is on her ear? Is that vet wrap?

I hate rose bushes. After a friend's grey lost part of his tail, I ripped out the one and only rose bush in my back yard :(

Have you tried vet wrap? Does your regular vet do ear crops? If so, he'll know how to bandage it properly to her head.

Sending prayers!

Rose bush is now gone! uuuuggghhhh....had it for years without one problem and never even thought it would be a problem till now :(

I will ask my Vet about it on Monday

No...it is heavy white bandage tape. 3 head wraps...3 times she got it off...and they crop ears there! :lol They put gauze on her ear so that the tape would not stick to her skin and fur. They kept her until she calmed down as far as the pawing and shaking...but it made her crazy because she couldn't put her ear up. :P

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I know this is going to sound far out, but I have read several times that the best stuff is spider web. Go to the least cleaned part of your basement or shed, your plants, whatever opportunity there is. As we all know from encountering webs by accident, they are very sticky and light.

Guest KennelMom

I'd use non-stick gauze and just tape it - like the pic above (just regular bandage tape you can get at the drugstore). I try to buy the kind that is easy on skin so it's easier to get off their fur when you want to change wraps. If that doesn't work I use the stronger bandage tape. More of a PITA to change out but at least that stuff usually sticks pretty well. When I was stocking our first aid kit, I pretty much just bought one of every kind of tape at the pharmacy :blush

Ah. We had the same experience with a rose bush 2 years ago at our first Dewey! We stay at a B&B with a huge dog run. One of the last outs first night there Norms ear got it. By the time we woke up the next morning that rose bush was gone! Thankfully the injury wasnt bad and once it stopped bleeding it was ok. But it did take a heck of a long time to get it to stop. No words of wisdom, just gentle hugs.....

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

could you fashion a snood by cutting off the end of your DH's socks?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Gizzy's ear was very injured a couple of years ago. The vet taped it all up to keep it clean and allow it to heal. Eventually she had to suture the tip backwards to her ear so that it did not heal folded over on itself.

Good thoughts for Maggie Mae.

Carol Ann

DSC03242.jpg

DSC03261.jpg

DSC03562.jpg

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

I sympathize with the amount of blood you're dealing with, having cleaned up after two fosters who hit rose bushes. The best solution for the glued ear is to completely wrap the head in vet wrap and leave it on for 3 days. You need some sticky tape, preferably elastic to hold the vet wrap turban in place with. (Panty hose will NOT work.) If you don't have the sticky tape to tighten up the vet wrap and adhere to a bit of their fur, they will get the turban off in less than an hour. When wrapping with the vet wrap go under the chin and down the neck. Then use the sticky tape to go around the front edge with less than a quarter inch of the tape on the fur. Just enough to secure things.

I had a foster that had an ear injury. I put antibiotic cream on it then some non-stick gauze and then did the vet wrap like a mummy around her neck. If you don't keep the ear from moving they shake and it is blood all over again.

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

We wrap the ear and then put vet wrap around the head to hold the ear down. Ears are a "muther" to get healed. Good luck, Suzie.

Exactly what I was going to suggest!

Everyone who has a dog should have at least two rolls of vet wrap in the house at all times!!! Having been through two dogs with happy tail, I can say that it is indispensible.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Vet wrap is a good idea, the only thing that ever has worked for me is a lightweight snood over the bandaging.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

We came home one day to blood all over because Jamaica was playing with Dd's dogs and somebody managed to rip a chunk out . I can't remember exactly how the vet wrapped the bandages after he did some stitches, but they stayed on. The one thing he did that might be helpful, is that he put two full rolls of gauze under her ear and wrapped her ear over it. He did wrap around her neck and told me to watch for trouble breathing. I had to leave the next day, and by the time I got to Banff she was making weird sounds. having trouble breathing. It scared the bejeebers out of me! It was not easy getting the bandage off without scissors, but I finally got it off and she stopped making noises immediately. There was no more bleeding, but she had a cone on for the next few days. Until she started having trouble breathing, she was fine and not trying to get the bandage off. May be you could try the roll of gauze trick if she is uncomfortable having her ears battened down?