Dee Has Started Peeing In The House

Dee has never been incontinent in the house. Last night, she was very, very restless. I thought it was because my 16-yr-old moved his bedroom from across the hall to his older brother's room in the basement. Dee was up and down all night; I let her out a couple of times. One time I found she had peed near the door and this morning, DH found two areas in the living room that had been peed on. One was tried up and the other was fresher and near the stairs.

I hope this is a one-time thing and not related to whatever may be wrong with her. In the mean time, we have cheap laminate flooring and obviously some of the urine went between the cracks. What can I do to make sure it doesn't start to smell?

Poor Dee - i'm going to call our vet today and see what we should do. The urine was quite concentrate and didn't smell like there was any bladder infection.

Edited to add: dee also had trouble getting started to go up the stairs to the bedroom. I could hear her doing several false starts before she made it up, yet she's not limping any worse than before.

Edited by mareyeka

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

When our old 14 yr old Grey was sick with a failing heart, her meds would affect her kidneys and she needed to pee every 3 hrs! Of course I couldn't always be here for her so I always kept some of the XL Wee Wee Pads taped down with painters blue tape to the vinyl floor and whenever she needed to go pee she would go and use them! She was so good and never went anywhere else in the house after I finally bought them for her. That might be an option if this continues. They are expensive, got them at Petco (much better than any at Petsmart) but they worked like a charm!

Get her checked out to rule out any medical problems like UTI.

yes, I'm going to call and arrange it. Her urine is concentrate but always has been as long as she's been there. no odour at all that I can notice. :(

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

i know both Loca and Warmheartedpups' Roo had very hard to detect UTIs, resulting in frequent peeing in the house. In both cases, regular testing missed it.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Oh Dee. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I agree to check urine for UTI. Sending good thoughts for Dee. :grouphug

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest Temira

The only time Chewie ever peed in the house was when he was limping. He would slip on the floor and eliminate. Could Dee be slipping on the laminate?

The only time Chewie ever peed in the house was when he was limping. He would slip on the floor and eliminate. Could Dee be slipping on the laminate?

That's definitely possible. She never used to but I did notice her slipping this morning.

Is she on pred? That increases both intake and output of urine.

Please Dee.....don't give Momma a heart attack. You've got too many Aunties and Uncles here that need more of your stories.

Auntie M and the 4-pack.

No, no pred.

Guest LolasMom

I had an older girl that sometimes would pee if she had a hitch in her back from slipping on the floor. It happened two or three times. When her back straightened out the problem was solved. I'm so hoping it's something simple. Please feel better Dee! :kiss2

Guest BlackandBrindle

Batmom's Zema had trouble with the outside stairs- that was her only indication that something was wrong and she had a UTI.

I hope it's something simple and easily fixed! Hugs to Dee :grouphug

Payton always does false starts on the stairs, it's almost like he has to remind himself that he knows how to go up them. I second getting Dee checked out for UTI.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Batmom's Zema had trouble with the outside stairs- that was her only indication that something was wrong and she had a UTI.

I hope it's something simple and easily fixed! Hugs to Dee :grouphug

Stairs are inside :) but that is how we get outside to the fenced part. And yep, she started refusing to go down the stairs. She'd go out front on leash, she'd go up the stairs if I took her around back, but she would not go down. A day of meds and she was back to herself again.

Hope that's all that's going on with your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hi all, Dee seems to be fine, no UTI to be found but I'll keep an eye on her in case there is one that is difficult to detect like a few other pups.

Dee had a much better night, she wasn't as restless at all an there have been no more accidents. I think that the theory that she was upset about Kev's move to the downstairs bedroom and that she may have slipped on the floor, together, may have caused the incontinence. She's used to Kev not being here overnight, but this time, his bedroom is empty of all furniture and things maybe just didn't seem right.

When I spoke with him about the night, Kev told me that Dee was whining around midnight, so he let her out. I didn't know that I and I remember her whining at me at just a bit after midnight and I tried to let her out, but she wouldn't go.

Dr C is away all week so the x-rays haven't been read yet. Hopefully first thing next week.