Intestinal Mass - Possibly Intestinal Lymphoma

Guest CyndiW

We have had our struggles and ups/downs since the whole corn cob, incision infection, sepsis, dic, pancreatitis incident last August but Alex has really hit a low now. He quit eating about a week ago and then last night his fever spiked to 105.5. He was admitted and placed on IV fluids/antibiotics. Today the internist did an ultrasound and found a mass in his intestine. She has sent the cells to a pathologist but she already looked under the microscope and feels it could be intestinal lymphoma. She said surgery is not usually helpful for this type of cancer and can actually make dogs a lot worse off. She said there would be some treatment options to make him more comfortable including pred to shrink the tumor and increase his appetite for now but only about half respond to treatment (still prognosis is 6-8 months tops) and the other half only last for days/weeks. If anyone has had any experience with intestinal masses or intestinal lymphoma and would like to share your story, please post. I couldn't find much doing a search but maybe I wasn't typing in the right words. My heart is absolutely breaking right now. He was our first grey and we have had him 9 years.

I have nothing helpful to offer. I'm so sorry. :grouphug for you and for Alex.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Please join the lymphoma heartdogs Yahoo group. There are many people and babes there dealing with what you are dealing with. Sending my prayers and white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Dylan had a cancerous mass removed from his small intestine in April of 2006. He recovered well and went on to gain weight while he was having chemo. We lost him to some other form of cancer in May of 2007.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Well I am off to spend the day with my boy. I hope to bring him home sometime this weekend and wait for the pathology report. I just spoke with our favorite tech who "adopted" him last August. She was present yesterday during the ultrasound and aspirate. She said it is probably regular lymphoma and that for some reason it grew the tumor in his intestine. She felt he was responding already to the steroids because he stood up and wagged his tail at her this morning and has already eaten 2 cans of food. I know one of the side effects of pred in increased appetite so that is definitely to his benefit right now.

Just went through this with Rev. Prognosis with Chemo was 6-9 months, treatment with just steroids 3 months. We elected not to treat and he lasted about 3 weeks. I can truly understand what you're going through. For what it's worth I did get a phone consultation from Ohio State which was helpful in making my decision.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

I brought Alex home yesterday. He is eating soaked kibble and cottage cheese. He still doesn't want anything to do with canned food or other meat products although he ate canned food for the vet tech. They thought the pred was already working because he was more alert and eating for them but he seems about the same as he was before the fever spiked on Thursday to me. I think the fluids and antibiotics brought the fever down and that is why he is back more to himself. Does pred cause panting? He seems to pant heavily about 1-2 hours after taking it and then he is fine. I thought the fever was back last night but when I took it, it was actually kind of low - 99.7. Hope the panting isn't pain.

:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Yes, pred does cause panting. And having to pee--a lot.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I'm so sorry you and Alex are going through this. Our grey, Bonnie, was just diagnosed with lymphoma this past Wednesday (not intestines though, lymph nodes are enlarged). It's been a scary and overwhelming week. She's our first dog to have a serious medical issue. We start chemotherapy tomorrow and she's been on pred (50 mg) since Friday evening.

Our vet told us that the pred. can/will cause panting along with increased appetite, increased water intake, and increased urine output. Bonnie seems to be tolerating it quite well.

I've learned a lot this past week. I took recommendations from others and joined the Circle of Greys and Lymphomaheartdogs groups on Yahoo. They have helped with all of the questions we've had (along with people on GT). Good Luck. Please keep us updated on how Alex is doing and what you find out. If you ever need to talk or have questions, please feel free to PM me.

Guest snowberry

Typing in "gastrointestinal lymphoma" may throw up more information.

See here: http://caninecancer.com/Lymphoma.html

and http://www.marvistavet.com/html/canine_lymphoma.html

I think the pred can affect the dog's perception of temperature, and that's why he's panting, I don't think it's pain. It is alarming though, if it goes on for a while :(:grouphug

I'm so sorry you've gotten this sad diagnosis. Sending prayers to you and Alex.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I am so sorry Alex has had to go through all of this. Sending prayers and gentle ear scritches for Alex. :hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest luvRgreys

My first grey, Buddy, was diagnosed with lymphosarcoma of the gut when he was 11 years old. We got to love him for 7 years. By the time the mass( it was in the mesentary area where all the lymph nodes come together in the stomach area) was found it was very large and the vet advised us not to do anything,but to love him and give him anything he would eat. The decision was made 2 weeks later to release him from his pain. I miss him to this day. Buddy was not a kisser and I wanted to remember a kiss from him, so I smeared beef stew on my cheek and he licked( well to me kissed!) it all gone. I am so sorry you and Alex are going through this. You are in my prayers. My heart is breaking with you.

So sorry to hear that you are going through this. We recently lost a wonderful hound to lymphoma. The one special lesson we learned was that every single day with him was important and full of love. It made for a bittersweet but special last few weeks with him that we will always treasure. Each hour of every day - make it special.

The more troublesome side effects of pred (peeing, panting) usually diminish in 7-10 days. At least that was our experience.

Batman had a mass in his chest. Not intestinal, and a different cancer from lymphoma. He was with us @ 5 months after diagnosis. One night it was clear that he was not comfortable anymore, and in the morning I let him go.

I focused on keeping him comfortable and happy, just those two things. Our vets helped. We used mostly prednisone and pepcid, and occasionally reglan, carafate, and sucralfate. I fed him whatever he'd eat -- tried to be reasonably nutritious about it, but if what interested him on a given day was spaghettios and ice cream and graham crackers, then that's what he had. He kept his weight up very well.

Nothing about it is fair, you know? Well, of course you know. I'm so sorry.

Sending gentle hugs and prayers for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.