I'm So Worried...my Heart Is Breaking

Guest K9Cookies

Well, back from the vet. We don't know much more than we did when we walked in. Not all of the lymph nodes are enlarged, but that doesn't tell us much (except maybe that it's not in the advanced stages of anything). We discussed taking a fine needle aspiration vs. removing a whole lymph node for a biopsy. In the end, we decided to do the FNA first, but Bonnie totally freaked out. We're going to drop her off in the morning and they'll probably have to lightly sedate her to do that and draw blood.

The bloodwork we're getting is going to be a CBC, metabolic, Vector Panel (for Lyme, etc.) and possibly testing for babesia (rare, but another hound in our group had it).

Our vet is all for getting a second opinion and gathering as much info. as possible. We already have an email to Dr. Couto and I've emailed our vet with his email address and website too. Our vet graduated from OSU and knows of Dr. Couto, but didn't realize all of the greyhound specific research he's done.

So, we'll wait for tomorrow. Our vet offered to look at the slides himself tomorrow, so we could get some information. We'll obviously wait on the exact diagnosis to proceed with chemo and all involved, if it is lymphoma. The bloodwork and FNA results should be in on Wednesday.

Please keep your good thoughts and prayers coming. Bonnie is squeaking away on a Kong toy now without a care in the world. She just looks and acts so normal. This is all so hard for us to swallow.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having gone through all of this with Angel LaceyLaine...my heart is with you. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

The bloodwork we're getting is going to be a CBC, metabolic, Vector Panel (for Lyme, etc.) and possibly testing for babesia (rare, but another hound in our group had it).

babesia and erlichia are not rare at all in greyhounds. TBDs can lay dormant 5-7 years. Where did your girl come from?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Prayers with you all. Please update when you can.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thank you for the update... my heart goes out to you. Keeping my fingers firmly crossed that your girl is going to be ok. Sending hugs to you and strength to Bonnie for tomorrow's procedure. :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

babesia and erlichia are not rare at all in greyhounds. TBDs can lay dormant 5-7 years. Where did your girl come from?

She raced at the Sanford-Orlando track her whole career (as far as we know...no info. on greyhound-data). One of the greys in our group was having some trouble and ended up positive for babesia. The vet is all for adding it to the testing just in case. The more information, the better.

sending more prayers :hope

and I wanted to add that I just love your siggy pic :wub:

Thanks :blush They are all waiting for treats. It's the husband that insists on coordinating collars, too. Not me! (although I do love it...just makes it tough to shop!) :lol

Sending prayers and white light to Bonnie and you. Playing the waiting game is exhausting---you can't think of much else. Hoping you get good news.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Sending prayers for Bonnie. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest greyhoundrobbie

I don't want to add additional worry, but what we thought was just a swollen lymph node in her throat is what progressed to the mass in my Allie's throat. We first noticed it a few months before and were given antibiotics. It wound up growing and causing the skin on her neck to loosen. I am not sure how common what happened to Allie is in greys, but at least broach things like cancer and growing masses. I doubt it would have made a difference in extending Allie's life, but we would have been able to better deal with some symptoms earlier.

I will be thinking of you and wish you luck.

Thinking good thoughts :candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Thinking of you both this morning. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.