Shadow Has A Lump...

Shadow is going to be so happy to be home. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, but this is going to be a long road to recovery.

I picked up Shadow last night and his knee just looks awful :( There are 3 large incisions - two of which were made to help stretch the skin over his wound (there's a technical term for them, but can't remember it). There still wasn't enough skin to cover everything completely, so the skin is about 1 cm apart at every incision - lots of seeping and a bit of bleeding.

They want Shadow completely confined, so he is in the computer room where there is nothing to climb up on. He's got 2 beds to choose from and there's room for all of us to hang out in here. He's only allowed up to go potty or eat. He's wearing one-legged sweats to keep from bothering his incisions (and to keep at least some of the blood off the carpet).

The good news is that, even though he's in quite a bit of pain he's still eating with gusto and wags his tail at the sight of his leash. He also pooped for the first time this morning. Soft, but not too bad. And now maybe he'll quit farting for a while :P

He's on amoxicillin, Metacam, and some liquid bandage. I can't even imagine how long it will take for everything to heal.

But he's home and we're all much happier for it :)

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest trevdog

Ouch! I'm sure that is going to be tough to contain him when he starts feeling better. Hoping it heals quickly. If I keep mine covered, they will usually leave their surgery sites alone.

Be a good boy and rest sweetheart and you will be running full force before you know it. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest houndlover

I am so glad that Shadow is home and resting. Eating is a good sign too! I will be thinking of you guys and hoping that his recovery is seamless (and as painfree as possible). :getwell

Very good that he is eating. If the liquid bandage is something like Facilitator it will really help the wound to granulate. Sending gentle ear scritches to Shadow. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Well this just isn't going well at all. :(

It started yesterday when it looked as if Shadow had popped one of his sutures. Called the vet and off we go. He said it looked better than he thought and sent us on our way. All afternoon Shadow was uncomfortable and had a hard time laying down. Then we noticed his foot had swelled up quite a bit (like almost twice the normal size!). Called the vet again (he has been so great with us). He told us some things to look for, but otherwise to watch and see if the Metacam helped the swelling go down. If not, bring him in today.

We had a long, sleepless night last night. This morning Shadow's foot was still very swollen and his wound had seeped a lot overnight, so called the vet to let them know we were coming in. Went to change his leg covering (he's wearing one-legged kids' sweatpants) and he had completely popped all of his sutures in the main incision. Now he has a huge hole right over his knee. It made me cry to look at it.

And the worst part is that the pathology report came back and the didn't get all of the tumor. It's a hemangiopericytoma, which is slow-growing and doesn't usually metastasise, but if it recurs, the chances of that increase. The vet said he got all he could without actually cutting apart the knee joint.

So I've put my poor dog through all of this and it's getting worse not better. And now it doesn't seem like it's worth it. I just hate to see my poor baby in this state.

Please think of him the next few days - he needs all the well wishes he can get.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

I am so sorry you are both going through this.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Oh no... :( Your poor pupper. More prayers and light for full healing. :hope:candle:hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

We are constantly thinking of Shadow, and hope that things improve soon.

Hi Adam,

You've posted a couple of times and I haven't responded to you personally. Just want you to know that it means a lot that you're thinking of us. I hope Mary is doing well. I can't believe they'll both be 10 in just a few weeks!

Guest adoptagreyhound

I am so sad for Shadow and for you! This is a very difficult time. I hope all the prayers and thoughts are giving you some comfort. I'm adding my prayers to the others. I pray that the healing will begin very soon and you will have your wonderful companion back just the way he was before. Prayers flying your way!

pangel1.gif

Madeline

Oh god how terrible to not have gotten it all :( and I feel for you as you care for your best boy who is in a lot of pain. I hope this can be managed somehow.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif