Wednesday's The Day

Guest HeatherDemps

Hi Heather - I'll be thinking of you all on Wednesday too :grouphug

Darcy was a bit 'difficult' after her surgery in that she was very reluctant to move in any way and even more reluctant to stand or walk - even to go out to the toilet. I don't think Darcy is the norm at alllllllll - in fact, from every account I've read both here on GT and in blogs all over the net, Darcy is probably the worst I've come across in terms of reluctance to get back to normal. Given that fact, I think (without reading back through her 'diary' thread), that it was probably about 8-10 days before we were vaguely comfortable with leaving her on her own. She had, by this time, learned to get on the settee but she was very unsteady so we were very worried about her trying to get on or off whilst we weren't there. But as I said, she's certainly not been the norm!

Oh - I need to add that other than this mobility issue, Darcy (with hindsight) had a very easy recovery. She didn't have any real muscle spasms nor any phantom pains or anything like that at all. Her wound healed very well and her bruising was much less than some others and it was at its worst on days 4 and 5 after surgery. By day 6 it had almost gone and by day 7 there was no bruising to be seen.

She was irritated by the big shaved area though and she did wind herself up into a temperature with all the licking she did (day 5 if I recall correctly) so she needed some cream to apply and she had an antibiotic shot from the vet that day.

Other than that, it was a faultless recovery.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HeatherDemps

We're heading down to U of I in just a little bit. Could really use continued positive thoughts and prayers today. I'm now not so scared about the recovery but just the surgery itself.... will update tonight.....

Thinking of you and your boy this morning! Hoping for safe travels and successful surgery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We're heading down to U of I in just a little bit. Could really use continued positive thoughts and prayers today. I'm now not so scared about the recovery but just the surgery itself.... will update tonight.....

Sending many prayers and hugs too. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Good thoughts coming your way. Give us an update when you can.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sending good thoughts from DC. Best wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery. Keep us posted!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest HeatherDemps

Thank you so much everyone.

We are still waiting. I would have thought that I'd be used to the waiting but nope! The chest x-rays and bloodwork this morning were good so they took Dempsey down to surgery to start prepping him. Was so hard to see him off then! An emergency case ended up coming in so Dempsey's surgery was delayed.

We just got an update from the doctor that he is under now and surgery should start in about 10 more minutes. They should be done around 4:00 or so and will update us once he's settled in ICU- so won't know anything until closer to 5:00. I'm exhausted but hanging in there. Everyone here has been great in answering questions and keeping us updated.

The surgeon definitely knows what he is talking about but he looks SO young- wanted to ask him how old he is but I didn't. :)

Keeping you and Dempsey in my thoughts and keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well... it must be a relief to realize the surgeon knows his stuff. And sometimes the young ones are the most enthusiastic and compassionate, so don't worry about his age... :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Sending lots of hugs :bighug:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

The chest x-rays and bloodwork this morning were good so they took Dempsey down to surgery to start prepping him.

That's excellent news.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest HeatherDemps

Was just told that he's doing well under anesthesia! :) That is a huge relief after the complications he had with the last sedation. Thanks for the continued thoughts and prayers- definitely think that it's helping!!

Guest Ruby2sday

Heather ~ I've been thinking of you and Dempsey all week. Hoping all is going well. Tons of White Light coming your way from Minneapolis.

Yvonne

We just wanted to check in again to let you know you and Dempsey are in our thoughts and prayers. If you get to see him today give him hugs and scritches from us. Sending lots of healing light your way.

Guest HeatherDemps

Hi again everyone.

I'm finally back home... lost my connection at the hospital and couldn't get it back up. :)

The surgery went well!!!!!! :) I guess there was some bleeding from one thing (vein, artery, ???) but nothing to be concerned about at this point. They had no problems whatsoever. I didn't get to see him tonight but knew that ahead of time. If all continues to go well, he'll come home Friday or Saturday morning. I'm not sure yet if I'll go visit him in the meantime- probably not if he is behaving and calm. Dempsey tends to hate being at the vet, so I don't want to go in and get him all worked up thinking he's coming home.... we'll see though.

I know I've said it before, but THANK YOU all so very much for the continued positive thoughts and prayers. It's been so scary going through all of this, but GT and everyone here has been such a huge support and comfort to me during the past few weeks.

Heather