Good Thoughts For My Gracegirl Please

I am so sorry! Poor little Grace...she must have been so scared. Sending many prayers and the most gentle hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry this happened to your beautiful Grace, and to you and little brother Fenway.

It is *ever-so-nice* of those people to pick up your vet bills. Personally I think you should sue them for pain and suffering – but only because I don’t think a lawsuit for total and utter stupidity would make it to court!

I am curious to know if they offered to cut short their time away to retrieve their *sweet* dog in order to lessen Grace's fear and make it easier for her to heal, and to give you more time to devote to her.

God forbid they aren't angry that their dog had to be crated the entire time because of this.

Again, I am so sorry this happened. Sending healing and protective thoughts to you and your pups.

I just feel the need to point out that this isn't the attacking dog's fault necessarily or the people who own it. It was an awful incident that could have been prevented. Things happen with dogs, you really never know when or why something gets triggered...that is why muzzles should always be used in any situation with multiple dogs. Lauren herself admitted that she never thought it would happen to her...I'm sure everyone that something like this has happened to, has thought the exact same thing. I think it might be a better idea if ALL of us learn from this instead of implying there is something wrong with the dog or the dog's owners. It could very well be that their dog has NEVER so much as growled at another dog. It could be something medical with the dog...we just don't know. And no, my dog has never bitten another dog (that I'm aware of), but I certainly don't take for granted that she never will.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Heal gently and quickly, sweet Grace Girl. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest chigal950

I just read this, how horrifying for everyone. Poor Gracie, poor you, poor everyone. I hope she soon feels much better and bounces back emotionally. I am glad however that the outcome wasn't worse, how difficult life's lessons can be some times. I am sure all of us have been guilty of the "oh, they'll be fine" "that won't happen". You cannot beat yourself up over it, just focus your energy on getting that beautiful girl better. :grouphug

I keep a couple xtra around my house, 1 large and 1 small, for this very reason :angry: --you can throw them in the top rack of your dishwasher to sterilize after use-

Prayers for Grace and fast healing :hope

Hugs for her mom :heart

Lisa

Edited to add: I hope the "sweet" dog is crated right now?

Edited by luluaz

grey14me

I just feel the need to point out that this isn't the attacking dog's fault necessarily or the people who own it. It was an awful incident that could have been prevented. Things happen with dogs, you really never know when or why something gets triggered...that is why muzzles should always be used in any situation with multiple dogs. Lauren herself admitted that she never thought it would happen to her...I'm sure everyone that something like this has happened to, has thought the exact same thing. I think it might be a better idea if ALL of us learn from this instead of implying there is something wrong with the dog or the dog's owners. It could very well be that their dog has NEVER so much as growled at another dog. It could be something medical with the dog...we just don't know. And no, my dog has never bitten another dog (that I'm aware of), but I certainly don't take for granted that she never will.

You are correct in theory. However, Lauren expressly requested these people bring their dog’s muzzle along with her other supplies. When they went home to retrieve the dog's bed Lauren again directed them to bring her muzzle. Instead they brought more pajamas! They did not, as instructed, bring the dog's muzzle and therefore they are totally at fault for this incident.

Lauren did not say, "If you feel like it you can bring her muzzle". She specifically advised them to bring the muzzle. And, as she stated "Did I really need to ask more than three times to bring her muzzle??? When I tell you three times to bring it, I'm not just joking around.". Had these people complied with Lauren's repeated instructions to bring the dog's muzzle the attack would NOT have happened.

Edited by Zachary

Zachary, the humans here are at fault. Not the dog. That's the point that needs to be made. The sweetest greyhounds in the world can bite or nip another dog when racing about in play. Muzzles or separate turnouts prevent this sort of injury.

So how are Gracie and her mom doing this afternoon? Hope you both managed a nap today and get special treats :):grouphug

Guest Soundhounds

Lauren,

I'm finally got on Greytalk and believe me, this is not the first post I'd hoped to make...

I am so sorry to hear about Grace. She's a total love and I know you both are hurting right now. Please let us know if there's anything we can do for you and Grace.

I understand your feelings about the hound sitting coop at the moment. We've had some good success with it, both taking dogs in and finding sitters. That's how we met you and Grace, which has been a wonderful experience. We do insist that potential hound-sitting candidates - dog and human - come over to our house ahead of the sitting dates and meet us, our hounds and two parrots. If anything seems less-than ideal I wouldn't hesitate to send the people and their dogs elsewhere.

Try not to beat yourself up over what happened.

I'm glad to hear the attacking dog's owners are doing the right thing about the vet bills. Hopefully they're as mortified as the rest of us who are reading your posts.

Guest jg_consult

Holy :ohno So sorry to see your grey in such a sad state!

With patience and loving, positive encouragement, Gracie will become comfortable around other dogs again. One of the greyhounds our group placed suffered a pit bull attack while out on a normal, everyday walk around the neighborhood. (Pit bull owner didn't secure backyard gate, dog came running out as they walked by.) She was injured very badly and took a long time to physically recover. At first she was terribly fearful to go outside at all on a leash. In time she recovered her confidence, thanks to the gentle guidance and patience her mom gave her.

Maybe the next time people get in a "Muzzle vs No Muzzle" debate in the dog parks and fun runs they will think about Ms Gracie and some good will come of this.

Edited by jg_consult

Guest kgildea
I'm even thinking of asking them to replace Grace's brand new collar that is ripped to shreds.

Or perhaps a harness until Grace's neck is all healed up???

Sending healing thoughts to you and your baby girl. :grouphug

I'm even thinking of asking them to replace Grace's brand new collar that is ripped to shreds.

Or perhaps a harness until Grace's neck is all healed up???

Sending healing thoughts to you and your baby girl. :grouphug

Great idea, I'll get one this weekend!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I keep a couple xtra around my house, 1 large and 1 small, for this very reason :angry: --you can throw them in the top rack of your dishwasher to sterilize after use-

Prayers for Grace and fast healing :hope

Hugs for her mom :heart

Lisa

Yep, and extra muzzle is on it's way to me from the kennel as we speak (type). I will also be turning away anyone who shows up without one from now on. Hindsight is alwasy 20/20...I just wish it didn't hurt my girl so much.

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

You probably need to start thinking now about how you're going to keep her from scratching her neck once it starts to heal and itch. It will help to tape a nice thick sock on her back leg.

Lauren I would be willing to try and sew something that could help protect her neck while still allowing airflow while the wound heals. I'd have to 'invent' it of course, but I have a picture in my head of something that might work. I would do this free of charge. PM me if you want me to work on making something up.

asking 3 times for a muzzle to be brought is enough reason to fault the people.

Guest BooMooandDoo

Actually the "sweet dog" is here at the store with me and has been great.

This was an accident. Dogs will be dogs. . . .and we don't know what pre-empted the situation. . but we do know that Grace got hurt. . .which is absolutey horrible and I feel really bad for both Lauren and Grace!

In this situation

I don't fault the dogs.

I don't fault Lauren.

I don't fault the owners.

All four parties played a part and all three learned a lesson.

Lauren learned . . . .No muzzle, no boarding.

The owners learned. . .their dog should be muzzled when off leash with other dogs.

The dogs learned. . .well not so sure they learned anything. . . .but we have to remember that these are animals and not humans. They can be unpredictable and the more steps we "humans" take to protect our animals, the better.

:grouphug Hugs for Grace. I hope both she and mom are getting some sleep today.

Edited by BooMooandDoo

Here are some photos from the visit with the vet today. Grace would not get out of the car, so the vet came to us in the car. He's wonderful. We go back on Tuesday to get the drains removed. I'm going to have to park blocks away and trick the poor girl into thinking we are going for a walk. :D

DSCN0223.jpg

DSCN0224.jpg

Edited by gracegirl

I'm sorry, I've been there and know how horrible a feeling it is.

The thing I tell people over and over is that it happens FAST - faster than you can react. Anyone who thinks they can interfere before some damage is done is fooling themselves. And ANY dog can attack another dog at ANY point - sometimes even if they've been living together for years... They're dogs, it happens.

I have dogs that for sure can't be outside together unmuzzled. And sometimes I don't want to track down the muzzles and deal with that - so I let them "take turns" out in the yard. One goes out, another comes in, second comes in and the third goes out... NEVER is there more than one dog outside unmuzzled. Ever. Period.

Sorry things had to get learned the hard way. :(

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

oh ow...she will feel much better when the drains are out...and that's when you're going to have to keep an eye on her scratching. get a nice, thick tube sock and some duct tape ready!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Oh that poor baby girl. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.