Katie's Home From Surgery

Katie had back surgery on Monday (Lumbosacral laminectomy). A section of the top of her spine was removed to relieve pressure on her nerves and replaced with a jelly/foam substance. Tricky scary stuff but when she was in intensive care at neuro vets she was 'doing better than expected.' In fact her tail 'curl' has returned! She has a row of staples down her back that looks like a zipper and she's shaved everywhere. The good news is that after a few days of incontinence at the vets she was able to control and go outdoors for potty on Thursday. But now that she's home I'm not so sure how well she's doing and worried because she seems to be crying more when she tries to get up for a potty break. She's welcome to eliminate in her pen, but she won't.

She is on a strict 8 weeks of crate rest. I started her in a crate downstairs but there was some light crying so I carried her up to her regular corner in my office and used an x-pen to create a restricted space for her. Now that she's home I'm not so sure how well she's doing and worried because she seems to be crying more when she tries to get up for potty. I carry her in and out for potty breaks and the other dogs are separated from her when she is out of her safe place for these breaks and for meals.

She wobbles and looses control of her back legs when she walks around outdoors to potty (this was expected and I do use a sling with her), but the worst part is getting her UP from her position in the ex-pen or from her feeding pillow. I try to help her when she struggles and cries as she trys to stand up, but fear I will hurt her. On those ocassions when I've tried to help she's cried out in pain. I'm going to talk with the vet on Monday about additional pain meds. I suspect the low dose is to keep her from feeling too comfortable and causing damage. She had fentanyl patch when she was hospitalized, but is just on Tramadol now. A mere 25mg twice a day. And I've given her extra around 3PM and 3AM when she's whistled and panted for more than 15 minutes. (She's still on pred and of course antibiotics, tagamet, cranberry tabs, omega 3s etcs.)

Does anyone have experience on the best way to help her up from a recumbent position? The best place to put my hands without hurting her? If she could tolerate clothing, I think I'd sew the sling on her! But I'm dressing her in a nightie only to go outdoors (it's cold here) and she wants it 'off' as soon as we get back in the house. To see her struggle to get up and cry out in pain is just killing me and I can't seem to get the sling under her when she's wiggling to stand. Ideas?

Edited by Cynthia

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH, this poor baby and Mommy. I do not have the advice you are looking for but I am sending prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

prayers for sweet Katie. Poor thing, hopefully each day she will feel better and become stronger.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest Tenderhearts

I am so sorry she is crying and I have no suggestions on how to help lift her. I can understand not wanting too much pain relief on board so she doesn't injure herself, but I wonder if the dosage doesn't need to be higher.

Is there any way you can put the sling down to be underneath her before she lays down, and that way you can just grab the sides when she tries to stand up?

I'm so sorry both of you are going through this :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Is there any way you can put the sling down to be underneath her before she lays down, and that way you can just grab the sides when she tries to stand up?

I'm so sorry both of you are going through this :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

I was thinking the same thing. Can you lay something out on her bed before she lays down. They make sling things and sell them at Petco and Petsmart. I would just say, be careful. Dogs in a lot of pain react in ways you never expect.

We used a doggie life vest on Kona in her last day (it was all I had here). She did not like it! She too did not want clothes on. I would try a blanket, towel or sling type device before I tried clothing again.

We are sending good, pain free, healing thoughts your way!

The Girls

Carol Becker in Orlando makes some kind of special sling. Maybe someone could direct you to her.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Devon & Shanti's mom, I've tried to get her to lay on the sling, but she won't lay down until it's removed :( That does give me an idea though. I have a towel over her eating bed, and she will lay on that. So if I put a bunch of towels in a crossed 'pinwheel' on her eating bed and on her office bed, one might be in the right position to lift her with when she's trying to get up.

Irene, I think I found the sling/harness you're talking about on Northcoast Greyhounds site.

Special Harness

I just ordered it and thank you for the idea. It looks like it will stop just before her 'zipper' so she may not object too much to wearing it all the time. It might work, it might not, but it looks like a useful thing to have around and worth a try.

Thank you all!

Guest Tenderhearts

I think the towels crossed like you mention would at least be worth a try until you get the harness you ordered.

Raven (my 14 1/2 year old lab mix) has increasing hind leg weakness, but can still get up on her own. However, I think she would lay on her sling if need be as it's made out of very soft fabric.

Please do check on increasing the pain meds ASAP too. Continuing prayers for Katie! :hope :hope :hope

Tramadol is way under. Usually start with 50mg twice a day.

Sending lots of prayers.

Have to agree here. Our spinal surgery patients are given Morphine pumps because post op is VERY painful. Please up her pain meds. Just as with people medicine, pain level is the fifth vital sign. Good pain management will make a lot of difference in recovery time.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest grey_dreams

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Katie and how distressing it is for you. I can't add any other ideas than the great suggestions you've already gotten, but just wanted to say that my good thoughts are heading your way. Hoping that Katie will soon feel better. :hope:grouphug

Guest vahoundlover

I can sympathise, when Boss couldn't get up on his own, helping him up was so stressful....if I did it wrong, he'd yelp and came close to nailing me in the face several times. :( If he was laying on his side, Allan would encourage him to sit up using a treat and then I'd place my hands under his chest and behind his ribcage and lift him up. We now have one of the harnesses from Carol for Boss and he wears it 24/7; we use it now to give us something to grab when his balance is a little off.

Sending lots of healing prayers for Katie, I'm glad she came through the surgery ok.

No advice, just some hugs and hopes for quick healing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Cynthia, just seeing this now. So sorry Katie's have some discomfort. I can't offer any helpful suggestions on helping her get up, but I do agree on the recommendations to up her Tramadol. 50 mg/day is the starting dosage for a dog Katie's size. Neyla is on 100 mg/day + aspirin for an inflamed toe so I can't imagine 50 mg/day would make much of a dent in post-surgery pain.

I do see the value in increasing it gradually so you can find the point where she doesn't feel TOO good and hurt herself. The good thing about Tramadol according to Dr. Radcliffe is that it would be really hard to overdose a dog on it, and the only "side effect" is getting your dog high. :P It can also be used in combination with other pain meds although your vet would obviously have to doublecheck based on the particular meds.

Let us know what he says and keep us updated on Katie's progress. Sending healing thoughts your way!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest colesmom

I hope Katie feels better soon - Cole, Mac and I send some more healing thoughts your way!

Please let me know if you need ANYTHING...after all I am just around the corner (literally).

I think you've gotten lots of good suggestions here. I know it hurts to see our dogs in pain. Yet another vote for increasing the tramadol or possibly adding another pain killer. I'm surprised they didn't give you anything stonger. She can't do much damage to herself if she's crated/gated, so I wouldn't worry about her "over-doing it."

Sending happy, healing and pain-free thoughts to you and Katie :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I really feel for you and Katie...what a terribly hard time for you both. My Greyhound has hind leg issues (loss of

strength) certainly due to a similar problem as the one of your Greyhound. He doesn't seem to be in pain and still

can lead a normal life (walks, jumping in the car, stairs etc.) but he doesn't run anymore and often his hind legs are kind of wobbly and weak. Reading your post

I think I won't decide surgery for him ever...it seems to be a very delicate surgery. I strongly hope, that your

sweet Katie will recover soon and her horrible pain will stop. I understand you so well...it's just the worst to

see our beloved hounds suffer without being able to aleviate their suffering.

I wish you the best...keep us posted!

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and support. Yes, when I picked her up Thursday I questioned the Tramadol dosage as she had a much heftier dose 'as needed' before the surgery. Mostly supported by pred though. I called the vet this morning and when he called back this afternoon he wanted to increase the prednisone not the Tramadol and see if that makes a difference. I was ok with that at 3PM as I'd already given her extra tramadol before he called back. But I called back at 4 when she wouldn't let me help her get up and I wondered if I'd been explicit enough about the level of pain. The vet wasn't there so talked to a tech and I agreed to call back in the morning if no improvement after the increased pred. Pred has always worked well for her before. :goodluck

She 'whistled' off and on all day and when I tried to help her up at 5:30 tonight she went crazy. I didn't know it was possible to do that while laying down. Teeth and snarls and growls. She was muzzled but I jumped back and knocked a pile of stuff off a bookshelf. Scared us both (!) and voila she scrambled up to get out of the way and I got my arms under her! I don't know if that approach will work again though :) Carried her around outdoors until she pointed out the spot where she wanted to pee and poop. If she eliminates in her bed I don't know if I'll be able to move her to clean up at this point. This has gotta get fixed. I didn't even feed her downstairs for fear she'd refuse to be moved again. She's whistling now. I'm trying to be patient and let the extra pred work. Just handed her a bully stick and the whistling stopped. The fact that she has a good appetite is good sign. When she was in the worst pain this summer she would refuse food and she is the type of dog who will eat pencils and paper.

Just so everyone understands, she's only 6 and her quality of life has been unacceptable for 8 months now while we tried to DX and solve the problem. The surgery was the only option for a dog as young as Katie. I knew the first few weeks would be rough, I guess I hoped it would be rougher on me than on her :(

Thanks again. All of you! I hate not being able to control this and it helps to have other experience and perspectives to think this through and make sure I'm being the best advocate possible for her.

Cynthia and Katie (still highly distracted by her bully stick )

Edited by Cynthia

Guest grey_dreams

Sorry to hear that Katie's pain isn't under control yet. I know how much it hurts you too. Hoping that the vet will understand the situation and give the pain medication that will be necessary to help her through these first days. Continued good thoughts coming your way. :hope:grouphug

If she is a food hound, would some hot dogs or cheese help her get up when you need her to get up, or at least feel a bit better about being handled? Only reason I suggest is, my Joseph will go to much greater lengths for a hot dog or swiss cheese than he will for anything else -- really remarkable. And you can slice them into matchsticks to be fed thru a muzzle if need be.

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.