Katie's Home From Surgery

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad to hear that Katie made it through her surgery well, but I'm sad to hear that she's having such a difficult time with her recovery. I hope the vet will help Katie better with her pain so that you don't have to worry so much! And I hope that Katie will HEAL FAST!!!

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Guest Winterwish

In case she's drinking less,maybe she'd like some milk added to her water?

(just wanted to mention that if hydrating herself becomes a problem)

Edited by Winterwish

Thanks again. All of you! I hate not being able to control this and it helps to have other experience and perspectives to think this through and make sure I'm being the best advocate possible for her.

There is no doubt you are being and will continue to be the best advocate for Katie!!! Katie is such a lucky girl to have you to help her through this and give her the quality of life she had before.

Hoping your vet gets back to you asap. Did the person who took the message understand the extent of Katie's pain? If not, maybe a second call is warranted? Me, I'd just drug her up myself, but I tend to not follow the rules. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oh, poor Katie! I was hoping that she'd be feeling better this morning. :( I would definitely make it clear to the vet that she is in a -lot- of pain and that the current pain management isn't cutting it. (even if it means being forceful about it)

Katie is such a lucky girl to have you. Keeping you both in my thoughts. I really hope she starts to feel better and heal quickly! :grouphug :grouphug :hope :hope

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest shonda_gw

I've been wondering how Katie's been doing this week so I'm happy to have found this thread! But I'm sad to hear she's having such a hard time post-surgery. I hope the vet gets back with you soon and that it gets figured out so Katie can be more comfortable. Cynthia, your dedication to Katie is amazing and inspiring. I know you feel lucky to have her, but know she is very very lucky to have you too! We're all thinking of you and hoping Katie feels better real soon!

Katie finally decided she needed to go outside and eliminate at 10:30. (3 little roos is her signal) That's 16 hours? She didn't attack me when I tried to help her up. I do carry her everywhere now, for fear if I put her down I'll never get her up again. But when I set her down in her pooping area (33F here) she decided she would go to her peeing area first and was able to wobble over there with me supporting her. That was the extent of ambulation today, but maybe the pred is starting to work as yesterday she could only manage two or three mincing steps outdoors.

I called the neuro vet again at 2PM and really, everyone there is very nice and competent and they usually do respond more quickly than this. I know I've emphasized the severity of the pain to them, but maybe they're used to people who overreact or are more into emotional splash. So when I called back at 2, I tried the near hysteria routine which came quite naturally at that point! A vet tech called back within 20 minutes and said that the vet had authorized another 25mg of Tram in the middle of the day. No! Cutting to the chase here, she is now on double dose of tram and pred just for today and we have an appt at 9:30 tomorrow morning.

There is a good reason for the caution on the Tramadol though. The vet explained that Tram can get into the spinal fluid and he believes this can affect the healing of the surgical site. When Katie was in pain before the surgery he was always very reasonable about the meds, did not want her to be in pain, so I think he just needs to see that this regime is not cutting it for her.

I feel better knowing that we're going in tomorrow. Katie is not panting or whistling right now and in fact has done very little of that today. So either she's feeling better or she's giving up. I think she will get stinky fish for supper. But that won't be served until she's ready to pee and poop again, so she may have dinner at .. ?4AM. I'm sleeping in my office with her and my other two swap off and on the couch with me to comfort and give me a neck ache :huh

Thanks for the tip on the milk Winterwish. I have a bowl of water in her x-pen because there's no way it's going to get tipped over, and she is drinking well. If she did tip it over I'd probably yell 'good girl Katie!" Batmom, there are cookies and hotdogs on top of the bookshelf that is one side of her 'pen,' all she has to do is sit up to get them. She tried to crawl for one that I put on floor last night when I was trying to get her up but gave up before she got there :(

Keep those ideas coming, and please hope for a productive visit at the vet tomorrow.

Cynthia and Katie, who's lost her twirl

Edited by Cynthia

Sending more hugs. I'm glad she has seemed to feel better this afternoon at least. Heck of a surgery she had.

Winterwish's milk suggestion is one of my best tricks, too -- I mix milk @ half and half with water and serve in a bowl held in my hands. Don't believe I've had anybody refuse that one yet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Tenderhearts

Bless her heart and yours too! :grouphug :grouphug

I'm glad you have a vet visit tomorrow, and I am so praying the double dose today and the pred are at least helping :hope :hope :hope :hope

Any news yet? Thinking you'll be back soon. Anxiously awaiting the report. Poor Katie, I hope the trip to the vet wasn't too hard on her. :goodluck

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

She slept through the night and STOOD up by herself at 6:30AM. :confetti Then she embarrassed me further by walking into the vets office :) I couldn't be happier that she proved the need for more meds.

We had a good long appt with the vet, since his office an hour away (when it isn't snowing) is in timbuck2 and down a one lane dirt road. Most patients probably had the good sense to stay home on a snow day. We are now armed with more meds and she'll stay on the increased dosages. He did bloodwork because he's worried about toxicity and she's been on pred pretty much steadily since April and was showing some changes before the surgery.

White light, meds and persistence seems to be working. Thanks for all the good thoughts and advice!

Cynthia and Katie, not quite ready to twirl but can tilt a little.

Guest Tenderhearts

I am delighted to hear of her successful self-ambulation! :clap :clap :clap

Continuing prayers for pain-free steady improvement! :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

DeVon-who could twirl, but is a dizzy old broad as it is :lol

just seeing this -- how awful for both of you! :( :( :(

so glad to see she's doing a bit better!

sending prayers both of your way! :hope:candle:hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Great news, keep it up Katie! :yay