Argus ( Gable Republic ) 6/23/00 - 11/16/07

GreytNut

Argus came to us in July of 2004. He was our first greyhound. Confident, bold and brassy, he charmed the socks off everyone he met. He marched up to total strangers and demanded that they fall down in worship before him. He was extraordinarily beautiful—even for a greyhound—and humans and canines alike stopped for a second look. He knew he was gorgeous, too. He would lie in front of a mirror and gaze lovingly into his own eyes. He could be bossy, possessive and greedy. In a human these traits would have been deplorable. With Argus… well, you just had to laugh.

But he also had a soft side. He loved to snuggle. He couldn’t fit in our laps, so he made do with shoving his head into our armpits. He did a wildly exaggerated ticklebutt dance. He was always a little bit afraid of the dark. He adored his beloved Floppy Cow and his Watermelon Blankie. Sometimes, just sometimes, he would allow Raven to snuggle in bed with him. He was Raven’s strength and courage. She followed him everywhere, took his cues for everything she did from eating to going potty, watched him greet strangers to make sure they weren’t going to eat her… and completely fell apart when I once made the mistake of taking him to a vet appointment and left her home alone. He was her guardian angel.

Argus was an almost eerily intelligent dog. Most of that brainpower was directed toward the procurement of food. He learned to open the refrigerator by watching me do it, forced me to spell out the names of certain treat items (until he learned to spell them, too, and G-R-E-E-N-I-E no longer worked) and once tried to barter me a stuffed toy carrot for some hamburger meat. You could see the intelligence in those huge, beautiful eyes. As a friend said upon first meeting him, “My God, those eyes just look right through you.”

At the young age of seven, he was stricken with osteosarcoma. It started with a slight limp which at first I doubted was even real. He was the consummate drama queen, and once came limping to me for a biscuit after I accidentally closed his ear in the bathroom door. But this time he wasn’t acting. From the first signs of limping to an emaciated, pain-ravaged wreck with his leg so grotesquely swollen that it looked like a stuffed tube sock… only two weeks. I still can’t believe it. On Halloween he was “helping” us pass out candy in his little Hogwarts hat… and now he’s gone. He isn’t hurting anymore, but Raven, DH and I are all heartbroken.

Raven is a basketcase. She went with us to the vet because she can't be left alone, and the techs fussed over her and kept her distracted in another room while we did what we had to do. Guess it was kind of silly to think she wouldn't know anyway. When we got back from the vet she went into the yard, lay down and wouldn't get back up. She and I are going this weekend to try to find her another guardian angel. He/she is going to have some big shoes to fill. I wish we could be happy that we’re giving another hound a home, but we really just want our boy back. Perhaps he will send Raven her angel.

ArgusCloseup1.jpg

ICanFly-1.jpg

DoggieintheMirror2.jpg

SnugglingWithCowandBlanket.jpg

Heart.jpg

MirrorImage.jpg

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your tribute to Argus was heart wrenching and beautiful. I feel for you, DH and Raven. I know Argus would want you and Raven to find a new angel for her. Run free without pain Argus. Go find your half brother, Highest Devotion (Gable Dodge) who too was taken at 7 from osteo. He will show you the ropes. Godspeed sweet boy, you fought the good fight.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest argolola

I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious boy. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Please take comfort in knowing that you gave him a wonderful life.