Poor Kiowa

Guest sheila

Kiowa is starting into his 13th yr. In many ways he is still a puppy at heart. He plays with his toys and runs a lap or two in the yard with Sammy and has joy in his eyes and a spring in his step.

However I can see him starting to decline. Several times in the last month he has lost his back end and ended up doing the splits on the floor and I have had to help him up. He is also losing his bladder control 2-3x a week. He will be walking towards the door and just stop and let go. It's like he either doesn't know it's happening or he can't control it.

I took him to the vet yesterday and he had some Depo-Medrol injections. The vet did gently mention to me that a 13 yr old greyhound will never be young again and I told him, 'I realize that, but he can at least be comfortable and as long as he still has more good days then bad then it's not his time.'

I also have to realize my own limitations. I am a single person with a low wage job and I honestly can't afford to spend $100's a month for meds and treatments that are only delaying the inevitable. I weigh less than 100lbs and the only way in/out of my house is by steps. There is no way I can physically carry a 75lb greyhound in and out. (Yes I can get harnesses etc for awhile and I will) I work full time and doggy day care or home visits are not an option in my rural area and even if they were I could not afford it.

For now I am laying down rugs in the house (so he doesn't slip) and getting a ramp so he can get down the steps and in/out of the truck and putting him in a diaper while I'm at work.

This just blows though.

I'm sorry. It is so hard to see them decline. I was there at the beginning of this year with my 13 yr. old boy Keno. You have my sympathy and empathy. :bighug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

AT 12.5 Future is not having any of the issues you describe yet with K, but I know they are coming. You are right, it does stink. I have had Future nearly 9 years. If I had him for another 9 years it would not be long enough. Kiowa has been very lucky to spend his life with you Sheila.

Edited by gazehund

Guest kaotic1
:bighug Just remember when the time comes it's your decision. You don't have to justify it to anyone. Just listen to your heart and what is best for your pupper and you will make the right decision.

You have my sympathy too. Our Hobbes is 13-1/2 and has difficulty walking, some incontinence issues, and assorted other physical problems. He came to us at 3 and was a vital, energetic boy. It is hard to watch him in decline. Because I'm tiny I have trouble lifting him. I miss the "old days" when he was young!

Hugs to you both! :grouphug

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Sending hugs. And some scritchies for your handsome fella.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It completely sucks....

And I all I ever wonder was..where did the time go.....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

"He will be walking towards the door and just stop and let go."

Monty was doing that this winter just before he got really sick. I thought he had dementia. He's still technically sick, but has come so far since the dark days. It may not be all downhill from here ,even though it seems that way right now. It's amazing what you can adjust to :) Hang in there, you'll figure out the best way to make life as good as it can be for both of you.

Guest Greensleeves

I was where you are about 2 years ago. Whistler started to look like an old dog when he turned 11--the frailty and LS weakness just aged him so much overnight. But we got him on a good routine, and his last year was actually the heathiest he'd been in a while. It was hard to watch him fading before our eyes... but the decision came very quickly and was actually unrelated to all his "old man" symptoms. In a way, that was almost better. Yes, they don't live nearly long enough... but the time you have is time to cherish. DON'T worry it away.

Guest VelvetEars

Yep, it sucks. Wouldn't it be nice if they stayed young and healthy forever? Unfortunately, just like people, eventually their bodies start to wear out.