Poor Kiowa

Guest sheila

Guest FullMetalFrank
Getting old sucks, but knowing that you're loved, well it makes up for most things. :grouphug

Amen :grouphug

Double Amen... Give Kiowa a gentle hug for me, OK? It is so sad to hear he is not doing so well. :grouphug

Guest greycious_gal

Sheila, I'm sorry. :( It really does suck that they get old and just wear out their bodies. I wish it was easier. My sheltie is probably about the same age as Kiowa, and we're seeing similar things. I feel exactly as you do about comfort and dignity and good and bad days.

Gentle hugs at this time. We all know one thing for sure: you have your animals' best interests at heart. And, that's all anybody needs to know. ;)

Aw Sheila. That does blow. I'm sorry you're going through that. It's tough seeing them get older. Kiowa is so very lucky to have you and to know your love.

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

I'm sorry. We lost Buckwheat last year at about 12 years of age. He went into heart failure, so he went pretty quickly and we didn't have to deal with the incontinence and lameness issues. He ate breakfast the day he died. But we noticed the gradual decline the last couple of years -- he got more neurotic, possessive, hearing loss, and stiffer in the joints. It just sucks knowing they don't live forever.

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

Just do the best you can. Darius at 15 is wobbly in the back, he is in no pain and is better running than walking. I use a diaper on him at night, they hold a couple of Depends so if anything happens. We call them his Man-pers. But so far he can hold still for 5-6 hours. Last call at 11:30 PM and out at 5:30 am. We do what we can, it won't be forever so the sacrifices are small to us. We have rugs down too. Get the Man-pers that will alleviate that problem, and the ramp is a good idea too. Don't dwell on the loss of him, you haven't lost him yet, but I understand the pain, I have been there. I have my ups and downs about Darius.

Darius is still hanging around with a happy face, he knows he isn't allowed to leave me.

Edited by Madeara
"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

No advice but very sincerely offered sympathy. I hope that Kiowa has many more happy days ahead of him with you. When the difficult decisions have to be made...well, I know from experience that nothing will make it much easier. :grouphug

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Quite a lot of your post could have been written by me in relation to MY 13 year old, Raisin. Dealing with much the same here. They know they are much beloved which is the most important thing. Good wishes to you.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest loveagrey

Same issues here. Chorney has lost a LOT of control in her back ends, and quite frequently pops turds when she barks. She's still got control of her bladder though for now, although from what the vet said, that's likely the next thing to go. Her back end just gives out every now and then and she's tumbled down the stairs off the deck a few times. And, she's deaf as a post.

Getting old sucks. As long as they're still happy, it's worth all the little extras though. :)

Hugs for you both. He is very luck to have you.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I don't know what to say. I suppose a lot of us will be where you are today, and we'll feel helpless too. With my medical situation and now 'lifetime' Dr. crap I can feel your pain when it comes to limited funds. I now wonder where the next $600 is going to come from when our clumsy boy hurts himself again.

All I can offer is a big cyber hug to you and Kiowa.

You and Kiowa have been through a lot together, I'm sorry life is getting so hard for him as he gets older. At least he knows without a shadow of a doubt that he is loved.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.