Update On Lenny

Update 12/3- I wanted to let those of you who have prayed and given advise for my boy that it turns out he does in fact have cancer - gastric sarcoma. There is also a spot on his liver. It isn't his regular vets fault that it was missed when we first biopsied 4 months ago. After much discussion and soul searching we are opting to make him as comfortable as possible until he is ready. Surgery was an option but the best the oncologist could tell us is possibly 8-12 months and that's it. Given his current state of health it would be a painful time for him and there were concerns about his recovery. If we did the surgery it would be for me and not for him. I wanted to thank everyone for their prayers. He is comfortable right now and his vet who loves him will come out to the house when it's time. I'm trying to keep it together for him and enjoy his time with us, but I am heartbroken. For a long time it was just he and I. He has been there with me through so much.

Some of you may remember my boy was having a very rough time with IBD issues. We have tried everything including very helpful suggestions from caring people here :) The vet and I decided it was to the point where predisone was called for, since diet changes were not helping. Well, now it appears nothing is helping. We've been to the holistic vet also who, when she looked at his work up, agreed that predisone had been the correct step and started working with us to get everything on track to get him off. However nothing works, he'll have a few good weeks and then a huge set back which leaves him thinner then before. My handsome boy is just wasting away. Everyone who sees us walking must want to take him away, and I don't blame them, he looks like a skeleton. On his good weeks I can see the fight in him to get better and he gains some weight. We moved in with my DH and his 2 girls (dogs, not kids) and Lenny seemed to blossom for a few weeks. Even though he's a grumpy old man I think he really loves the girls. But now its a bad week - the worst he's been through - and I feel so selfish putting him through this. I can tell he's miserable but then I think about the good week and how he seems to have so much time left.

Our holistic vet said she had some other things to try but at what point am I putting him through more than I should? When am I not putting him first? I made a promise to him that I would be brave enough to let him go when it was the right time and now I'm not sure I can.

I told DH that I would speak with both vets and put everything we had into this week and see where we are. DH is having a very hard time with it too, but is leaving any decisions to me.

I just needed to get this out somewhere where I've been supported before. Thanks so much for reading

Edited by LennysMom

Kris & Lenny (B L Lessie)

IPB Image

Guest BlackandBrindle

Lenny is in my prayers :grouphug

Last year Spud was down to about 61ish pounds. His race weight was 75lbs. I don't know if it's an option, but we started with a raw diet and Spud is happy and healthy now but I know it doesn't work for everyone.

:grouphug

Sending our many prayers for Lenny~gentle hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest luckydog

As far as the Decision goes, I had to rely on my vet to gently shake me by my shoulders (verbally, not literally) and point out that Lucky had reached the point of no return. I too was selfish and wanted more time, but I am a firm believer in Better a Day Too Soon Than a Day Too Late, so we made arrangements for euthanasia the next morning. Lucky had no quality of life--while he still wagged his tail and snugged close to me, he hadn't had a decent meal in weeks and his kidney numbers were getting worse.

I felt as if my pain had to be secondary to the relief I was giving to Lucky from the pain his body must have been giving him. I still feel that way. Our animals rely upon us for their very life, and we must keep their needs forefront in this matter.

I am sorry for you and Lenny. Ask your vet for his/her honest opinion.

Clay needed more than prednisolone to help control his IBD. He also needed a combination of azathioprine (an immunosupressant), metronidizole, and a novel single protein dog food (happened to be prescription science diet). This combination, which Dr Couto at Ohio State helped us formulate, helped Clay extend his life by an extra year. There is an excellent yahoo support group for people who have dogs with IBD. It was a life saver for us.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

No advice really. I just wanted to say I know how you feel, although none of my dogs have IBD (yet.) I do keep notes for each of my medically challenged dogs so that I don't imagine the good days. I can look back and see they weren't very long ago. Or not. Bad days and bad weeks seem much longer when you're going through them. I never hesitiate to call my vets. The neuro even has a special line (press #4) to leave an update. (I must drive my dog's vets crazy, but I figure I'm also giving them a banner year for revenue. :) One of my dogs is on prednisone forever I think. I've come to grips with that. And of course none us want to do that, but quality of life is more important than a long (or short) uncomfortable life. I go for comfort first.

Sending good wishes for little Lenny :candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Thank you so much for the prayers and comfort. He did eat a little last night and this morning and kept it down so without getting excited at least I know he's getting his appetite back. I am getting a lot of good advise here and will be talking to his vets and others to see what other options we have and what they mean for Lenny. So long as the vets agree that it is worth the effort and it wont make him worse we'll try anything.

Also, thank you for for sharing your stories, they are a comfort. Luckydog, your words mean a lot, thank you

Kris & Lenny (B L Lessie)

IPB Image

A few years ago, I lost my most favorite greyhound to complications of tick disease. One of the complications was a malfunctioning digestive system. The poor dog had no appetite, and when she did eat, the result was diarrhea. She started to get very thin and I knew if we didn't get the TBD figured out soon, we would lose her to starvation -- a miserable way to go. And so I decided that if she hit a predetermined weight, I would PTS, assuming there were no improvements on the horizon. The crucial thing was determining the weight. Our regular vet said she was unable to do it. Even though she had greyhound experience, she said she saw too many other breeds in her practice to give her an expert eye. I did not ask the E-vets treating the dog, I would not have felt confident in their decision. And so I asked someone who had worked with greyhounds for decades, both in racing and adoption, to give me a number. It was emotionally very difficult for her to do this for me, but she stepped up to the plate and gave me a number. The dog died of hemmorage about 2 lbs over her PTS weight.

It's not a happy story, but it is how a dealt with a difficult decision during an emotional time.

No good advice from me, but you might PM romansperson if you haven't already. She's dealt with IBD.

Sending hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• 1 month later...