Brody Could Use Some Positive Thoughts

Guest BoomerMom

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hazelhedge

So glad to hear Brody is doing better. He sure looks happy at your place in the pictures - even with all his boo-boos. He must know he's getting the star treatment now :)

Vicki

Guest VelvetEars

I would also suggest treating his owies with lavender essential oil. The easiest way is to get a small spray bottle, put distilled water in, and add about 5-10 d per ounce of water. You can spritz his booboos with it. Lavender is a natural antibiotic/antifungal/anti-inflammatory/analgesic/antimicrobial/antiseptic. If he has bad booboos, you can put a drop directly on them - use a Qtip if needed. It doesn't sting or burn, and if he licks it, it's fine. No harm done. My kids even request it for their mosquito bites because they stop itching and heal faster and doesn't hurt when I apply it.

Edited to add - the stress-relieving properties will also help relax and calm him, and if anything is stress-induced or exacerbated by stress, it will help clear it up.

Edited by VelvetEars

Guest BoomerMom
I would also suggest treating his owies with lavender essential oil. The easiest way is to get a small spray bottle, put distilled water in, and add about 5-10 d per ounce of water. You can spritz his booboos with it. Lavender is a natural antibiotic/antifungal/anti-inflammatory/analgesic/antimicrobial/antiseptic. If he has bad booboos, you can put a drop directly on them - use a Qtip if needed. It doesn't sting or burn, and if he licks it, it's fine. No harm done. My kids even request it for their mosquito bites because they stop itching and heal faster and doesn't hurt when I apply it.

Edited to add - the stress-relieving properties will also help relax and calm him, and if anything is stress-induced or exacerbated by stress, it will help clear it up.

Thank you so much for the advice. I hadn't thought about using essential oils on him. Spraying it on would solve the problem of trying to get his body coated with lotion/salve and then keeping him from licking it off while it soaks in. I'll go by Whole Foods at lunch and pick some up.

If it hasn't already been done, I can send pjs and a coat ... gently used.

Brody and I would really appreciate it! I'll PM you the address.

I've been reading the updates but haven't had time to reply (work :angry: ). Anyway, I wanted to second the recommendation for colostrum. I can't help with dosage, I gave it to my CRF cat and it really helped his appetite, helped him retain weight, and boosted his immune system. I sprinkled it on his food and he seemed to really like the taste (remember, this was a CAT :lol ) Glad to hear he finally got a bath, I'm sure it made him feel much better :)

Guest VelvetEars

The other thing you can do for larger areas is mix Lavender with aloe vera gel and apply it directly to the area. I did that with my Janey when she was post-stroke and still very unsteady and constantly scraping herself. She wouldn't lick it, and it worked wonders keeping her booboos protected and helping them heal.

What a doll. Give him a scritch for me, will you?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Tenderhearts

He has the softest expression to his face :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Continuing to keep that precious boy in our prayers here, and thank you so much for the new pictures :grouphug:hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Guest HappyHarleysMom

Brody, you are going to get well, feel like brand new, and be so loved and spoiled! doG bless your angels watching over you and taking care of you.

Life is gonna be ROOOOWonderful!

Guest charmsmom

Oh my goodness! :jaw He looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than he did in those first pictures!!! He's going to be a handsome boy once he heals up completely!

No advice....just wanted to say that! WOW!

Guest BoomerMom
Poor guy! Transfer Factor shipped :) I hope it is there quick.

Are the bumps blind now? No new ones coming up?

Thanks Diane!

Some places look better and some look worse. His chest and tummy are clearing up, but his shoulders and rear seem the same. I think it's because he can scratch/lick/bite those areas and it's keeping them irritated. I did the lavender oil last night and I think it helped some. It definitely made him smell better. As you can imagine, he is not really "fresh" smelling.

He seems to be glad that Boomerang and Seth are back. I don't think he knew exactly what to do with himself after Carter left and it was just the two of us for a couple of days.

Wizard, the broken leg grey that I was supposed to pick up on Thursday, isn't doing very well. He had surgery on Wednesday but the orthopedic vet determined that the leg could not be saved. In addition to two major fractures, his ankle was shattered. The amputation surgery was Friday and the plan was for me to pick him up tomorrow, but he is not eating so they want to keep him another day. Keep him in your thoughts as well.

wizard2.jpg

If there is anyone in the North Texas area that has been thinking about fostering, now would be a great time. Several of the greys that are kept in boarding kennels are being temporarily kicked out for Thanksgiving and there are now a total of 19 hounds on GALT's Injured Reserve list. Even a 10 day foster over the holiday week would help out.

Thanks for caring!

Kelly