Carrier's Diagnosis

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest multiplicity
I just called because I think I was going to vomit waiting...

They are just closing the skin right now - he's been under for three hours (I wanna cry). They will call me once he's in recovery.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Anticipation is truly the worst...Hang in there Eva...

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

I know how you are feeling. Can you get a soda or ice cream to get some sugar in you?

I am opting for a big glass of Guinness instead.

The vet student said that she didn't hear of any complications - please god, say there weren't any complications. Three hours is really long time. Is that normal?

I don't know. I would think the vet student would have heard something if there was a problem. I know it does take time to reconstruct the muscles and to shape the area (get the skin back together.)

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

The waiting for news can be excruciating. We are all hoping for the best news and are thinking of you both.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Carrier Update Oct 31 5:55pm

Julia the vet student just called - she told me that the surgeons will be calling me shortly to tell me everything. But overall everything went fine - no major complications - didn't need any plasma etc. He is in ICU. I will post more once I hear from the surgeons, for now it's good to know that he is in ICU and off the surgery table. They took a piece of the tumor to send off to pathology to confirm 100% that it was osteo - we already know, but they do this to be one million percent sure. and they also took a sample for the database bank (with my consent) for future greyhound cancer research.

I asked Julia to give him a kiss for me - and she said, "I already did and told him that you were thinking of him". She is awesome and is going to make a wonderful vet one day.

Another Update

Just spoke to the surgeon. Three hours was normal, so no worries there. The sugery was normal and they didn't have any complications. They explained the possible problems that we might encounter - ie greys have a tendency to bleed more than other dogs - but they have him on a drug for this and he will also be in ICU for at least two day. They hope that we will be able to leave on Sunday. He is doing well and as best as they could expect at this time.

I will get an update tomorrow morning and will possible be able to see him in the evening.

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers - they got out through this afternoon.

:grouphug

I'm so glad he's had his surgery and is now recovering. I really feel for you. It's two weeks and one day since we sat waiting for the call to say that Darcy was through with her front right amputation. It was a horrible day. Everyone said this to me and now I'm going to say it to you - go and get plenty of sleep because sleep may be a little light for a while once Carrier comes home :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Kpparker
:hope :hope :hope I hope Carrier continues to do well after a complications-free surgery.. I bet you cannot wait to see you little boy. Thanks for keeping us posted so frequently, we're all rooting for Carrier and cant wait till he's safely back at home.

Just had tears flowing down when you told the vet tech, Julia, to give him a kiss for you and she said she already had!!! We love these guys so much. Prayers that everything goes smoothly for Carrier. Get some rest if that is possible.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest LolasMom
Just had tears flowing down when you told the vet tech, Julia, to give him a kiss for you and she said she already had!!! We love these guys so much. Prayers that everything goes smoothly for Carrier. Get some rest if that is possible.

Water works here as well. So glad for the good news. Good boy, Carrier.

Guest grey_dreams

Oh Eva, I'm so glad to hear the surgery went well. You must be relieved with the news that the procedure went normally. It sounds like the surgeons and vet team are taking all precautions and proactive treatments to make sure that his recovery is quick and smooth. Sending all good thoughts your way and extra special wishes for Carrier to be well very soon. :hope:candle:grouphug

What a wonderful update! Glad the surgery went well. Many prayers for an uneventful and smooth recovery. Sounds like he's getting excellent care and tons of TLC. :heart As Bev said, get PLENTY of rest before he's released to come home, and take extra good care of yourself. :bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Carrier Update Nov 1 9am

I had no choice to take your advice - I was so tired from the night before from sleeping on the floor my my boy, that I went to bed at 9:30 and slept until 8:30 this morning. :eek I feel much better.

OSU just called, Emly is my new person who is taking care of Carrier in ICU. Here's the update from last night and this morning.

Carrier had a good night - he pretty much was passed out. This morning they got him up and put him on the wagon and wheeled him out to go pee. They took him off the wagon and he peed and then put him back on the wagon and wheeled him in. Fun! He doesn't like the wagon - I know because the last time they wheeled him in on it, the look on his face was, "What the ?" Poor boy.

Emily said that he is comfortable and not in pain (thanks to the drugs) and they are really happy with his progress so far. He will be in ICU today and possibly moved to regular recovery tonight - because he is doing so well... which is really, really good news.

She is calling me back after rounds this morning to see when they think I can see him tonight. I can't wait. It's going to be a long day waiting.

eva

Guest grey_dreams

It was good that you were able to sleep. You will need all your strength to help Carrier when he is released. The progress report sounds really good! Especially that his pain is managed, so that he can begin healing. I'm glad they keep him in ICU for close observation and care. I hope the day will pass quickly for both you and Carrier so that you can be together again soon. Take care of yourself Eva, he is in the best hands. :grouphug