Carrier's Diagnosis

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest grey_dreams

Oh Eva, I'm so glad to hear that Carrier acts like his normal self and that Dr. C. is helping you. I hope that you will be able to take him to OSU for the best treatment possible. Sending all good thoughts your way. :hope:grouphug

Carrier Update Oct 26

Things I have done today...by Carrier

7:15 am - pee/poop/jaunt around the yard/walked up stairs as fast and determind as can be

7:20 am - ate entire breakfast

7:25 am - slept in front of fire

8:10 am - stretched and ...... ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (of course)!!!!!

8:11 am - back to sleep in guest room on one of my favourite pillows ;)

He is good.

Sounds like a good morning sweetie~Lacers had a good morning too and is sending her love. Tell your Mommy to let us know when you are leaving for Ohio~Sending many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Carrier Update Oct 26

Things I have done today...by Carrier

7:15 am - pee/poop/jaunt around the yard/walked up stairs as fast and determind as can be

7:20 am - ate entire breakfast

7:25 am - slept in front of fire

8:10 am - stretched and ...... ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (of course)!!!!!

8:11 am - back to sleep in guest room on one of my favourite pillows ;)

He is good.

What a treasure each day is...I hope you are able to head out to OSU today. Isn't it amazing how things turn out, and that you are able to stay home with him at this time...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Oh Eva, I'm just reading this now and I can't imagine what you've been going through. Sending good wishes to You, Tim and the puppers hoping Carrier will get well. Take care of yourselves.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I wish this horrible disease would just go away. It must be so hard to be strong at this time, but I think you're very brave and doing an amazing job. I will be keeping you and Carrier in my thoughts... :bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Carrier Update October 28

Over the last few days Carrier has been awesome. He has been eating amazing and sleeping well. If I was to compare his activity level and behaviour with the other three - he is exactly the same. Although, we can tell that his front leg is bothering him and he is managing well with the other three. The back right leg doesn't seem to give him any problem. No problems getting up or down the two stairs that lead from the back porch to the yard. Thankfully we don't have any stairs in the house that he has to contend with. Funny enough, it was raining on Friday, but he had to go pee - so I let him out, he ran down the stairs, I turned around to grab a towel for his feet when he was done, but by that time he was already back up the stairs because he didn't like the rain. I couldn't believe how quickly he was able to go down and back up again! He has also been quite keen to jump up on the guest bed - and then jump off again - three times over the last two days :o - which is really great, as he is obviously feeling okay enough to do that. I on the other hand feel my heart sink as I am terrified of him hurting himself and that bad front leg.

He has had many, many roos and even played with his Lambie and has been doing the most amazing play bows. His tail is wagging all the time and yesterday he even wanted to go for a walk, but we thought it would be best for him to rest, plus it was cold and damp out.

We leave today at noon for OSU and se Dr Couto tomorrowing morning. I will have my laptop with me, so I will be sure to post updates.

Thank you to everyone for all your kind and supportive words and pm's. They mean a lot and have really helped us through this.

eva

Our hearts and prayers carry you safely on your journey. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

Eva,

Have a safe trip to OSU. We can only hope for the best for Carrier. We know he will receive the best treatment at OSU. The entire staff at the clinic will be working for him.

White light and huge prayers for Carrier

Cora, missing Dennis (the menace) so much.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Kpparker
:hope :hope Hope everything works out great when you see Dr. Couto! And there's nothing like a good greyhound roo to let you know your pup is happy and feeling well.

Guest multiplicity

OMG Eva, I am so sorry to be reading this!!!

I haven't been online much since we've had no choice but to go back to dial up (no high speed in Maryhill).

I am so upset for you and Carrier. :(

Chevy is at OVC now and I totally understand your frustration with the indecisiveness there!

Have a safe trip.

I am sending you and Carrier lots of positive energy. :grouphug

Carrier update Oct 29, 2007

In short - everything is good. I haven't cried yet - which is a bonus. Carrier on the other hand... is crying right now from coming out of anesthetic. My poor sweet boy.

Here is the long story...

We arrived last night at 8:30 and pretty much crashed once we hit the bed. Carrier was nervous and tired, so after he ate his dinner, he pretty much slept until 11:30 and then had a bed time pee and was sleeping until 8 am this morning.

We had our appointment at 9 and the CT Scan for the back leg at 1. There has been so much medical talk, that I can't think clearly to type it all out right now. So in short - the femur is not showing cancer. So wee are going to amputate the front leg which has been confirmed to be osteosarcoma. Dr Couto's recommendation is amputation and chemo. I know to some it sounds rough, but we came here for his opinion and what was best for Carrier. We knew that we pretty much had two options... not persue any more tests and just give him pain meds and know that he would soon pass... or do all the tests - which we did - and have to make the choice to amputate. It's such a difficult decision and it's any easier when people look at you like you are seriously barbaric when you tell them that you are going to amputate your dogs leg. But this is our choice and we are prepared to care for Carrier 100% to make sure he gets through this.

I was able to spend time with Carrier this evening in a lovely room with a couch and big pad and blanket for Carrier to lay on. He was still coming out of sedation from the CT scan, so he wasn't the happiest - hence the crying... which was so heartbreaking, because I know he just feels like crap. But he has a fentanyl patch which will kick in soon. But it was so still awesome to be able to hug and kiss him. The staff at OSU are amazing - the student and Dr Vilar sat with me and Carrier and we just talked about how amazing greyhounds are. I told them how much we loved Carrier even before we saw him in real life - with Tim driving to Kansas to adopt him. I guess we'll drive the world for him - really...

I think that's why I am not so emotional about everything today because I know that Carrier is in the best possible hands. Dr Couto is amazing - they all are. The fact that they completely understand Greyhounds - is comforting. I think they said that 50% of the oncology staff has greys.

So tonight, I have left Carrier there to recoup and will know for sure if the surgery will happen tomorrow or on Wednesday. Dr Couto wants a specific surgeon working on Carrier, so they are having a battle of schedules to see how they can fit him in. If it's not tomorrow, I will get Carrier for the day and we will enjoy a walk in the park and just hang out until Wednesday.

There were 4 greyhounds there today. One with a front amputation and he was 11 when he had that done 6 months ago. I sat with his mom for 2 hours and we chatted about him and what I can expect with Carrier. It was really helpful and we will stay in touch.

I can't express how amazing OSU is. OVC was a complete nightmare. Right from when you walk in the door - you feel like you are walking into a hospital in a third world country - no comfort for humans or dogs. OSU is so comfortable - just the exam rooms alone are super with the cushions for the dogs etc. I was there from 9 am to 7 pm today and didn't feel like I had to get the heck out of there. All the staff are wonderful and hearing them explain to people about their dogs diagnosis etc is so great - so thorough and calm and just really nice.

Anyway, I am kinda rambling now... I will let you know how we do tomorrow. Thanks again for your support. It's means so much and I don't think I could have done this without the support and knowledge of other greyhound owners.

Sending our many prayers....please get some rest...you will need it. Hug that precious Carrier for me as soon as you see him tomorrow. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg