Carrier's Diagnosis

I can't even believe that I am writing this. I am absolutely devestated. Carrier just turned 10 on Oct 13th and other than this bloodly limp, he is perfect. I don't know what our next steps are, I can't even stop crying to think clearly. The vet is gather info and we are going to discuss options. Amputation is a possibility since he is strong overall in his health - but at this point we aren't sure until we do more tests etc to see if it's spread. The vet thinks if we just leave it and manage his pain we will be lucky to have him with us in the new year. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, please keep them coming - he needs them.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can manage his pain, then *he* won't know he's sick.

That isn't enough, but it's a lot.

I'm sorry you and your boy are having to deal with this.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh I can only imagine how painful this is for you. I'm so sorry. Whatever you decide, we're here. :grouphug for you and kisses for your Carrier.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I'm so sorry to read this. :( Join Circle of Grey. When Snickers was diagnosed I tried to read about choices. In our case, I opted for amputation and chemo. What really sold me was that the amputation eliminates the source of the pain and depending on the location of the tumor, the leg might be prone to pathological fracture too. Many dogs survive a long time after chemo and amp. Unfortunately for Snickers luck ran out. We're not sure if there was a tumor in her brain stem or a blood clot hit her respiratory control center but we lost her just over two months after her amputation. If that hadn't happened, I think she was doing very well and might have reached her one-year anniversary.

It's hard to know what to do at first. You have to make a decision based on what you think is best for your Carrier. :grouphug It's mind-numbing when you first hear the news, but be strong and try to look ahead. Carrier is older, so cancer growth tends to be less aggressive. Have you talked with Dr. Cuoto's group at Ohio State? They will help answer questions too.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Prayers :hope and Hugs :grouphugs

Major & Black Jack are the BEST Doggies in the WORLD

A Major Presence - MAJOR - March 10, 1999 - January 13, 2011

Little Joe - BLACK JACK - July 31, 1998 - February 8, 2011

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. " - Randy Pausch

Oh, how sad... I am so sorry to hear the news. :cry1

If he's strong overall, I would probably consider amputation, because as Aerosmom says, it takes away the source of the pain and avoids pathological fractures, but it's a difficult thing to get your head around. Whatever you decide, if you decide with your heart from an informed position, it will be the right thing for you and Carrier.

Sending hugs. :bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

i am so sorry we are battling osto with two of our greys

please please get him on artisminin

they are using it at ohio state with dr cuoto with grey results he spoke about it at dewey

it is a herb they used for malaria in humans how it get to be a cancer me i haven't a clue

our saullie was diagnosised 4 month ago and since he is on the art as of 2 weeks ago it has not spread or grown

of course next week is his next set of xrays i am super worried

if you want more info there is a fabulous list on yahoo everyone is so knowledgable and helpful

you have to buy it from one or two reliable sources

i get ours from http://holleypharma.com

morty was diagnosis 3 weeks ago and also is doing better then our vet thought he would

saullie's surgeon said he can't explain why saullie is doing fabulous (no amputation) just artisminin, super low carbs and fish oil

please pm me for more info

Iris

www.ligc.org

I am so sorry. My heart aches for you both. PLEASE join circle of grey and contact Dr. Couto. Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.