Carrier's Diagnosis

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emily called and said that he is doing really well. They have decreased the IV drip for the "bleeding drug" as he is not showing signs of bleeding. - so good news again. I get to see him at 5 today. It might only be a quick visit in ICU. They don't want to move him too much, so bringing him to the comfort room may be too much for him. I told them even if I have 5 minutes with him, I would be happy - I don't want to to stress him just so I can spend time with him.

He is bruised a bit already, and has some bruising on his neck around the jugular from something they did yesterday - but overall he is well.

I will post when I get back from the visit this afternoon.

So good to read the promising updates. He really sounds like he is doing well. Another long day for you but getting to see your boy at 5:00 will be wonderful. We'll all continue to hope and pray that his recuperation will be swift.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Is this your first amputation? Get the picture is your mind. Stay calm. You know he is much better with the pain gone.

Yes. But I have been doing my research and I have seen post amp photos. I know the real thing is much different - especially when it's your own dog - so I am trying to prepare myself. OSU has been great with that too... I know it's going to be tough, but like you said, the pain of the tumor is gone - so now we learn to walk and heal.

I spoke with Tim. He is going to drive down early the day of when we are going home (stil TBD). He is arranging that our dog sitter take care of the dogs for the day. So I won't be alone driving back. Flying would have taken just as long, since we don't live close to a major airport. I want Tim to meet everyone at OSU too and also be there for every step of the journey home.

Edited by LadyBailey

I've amputated three times and each one was a different experience. He will be fine. Just give him a couple of weeks. It's like anyone that has surgery. Time heals.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I am counting the minutes too! :)

Julia called me about an hour ago to tell me that he is doing well. He is becoming a little more vocal - like crying etc., which is normal because he did this when he came out of his sedation last time. She said he is still fairly drugged, so they are going to decrease the pain meds a little bit to see if they can get him standing up a little more on his own. I can't wait to see him!

Oh I just thought of this.

I tried the ramp into the car idea. Didn't work. Give him a little time and he will do exactly what he was doing as far as jumping into the car before. Rocky, current tripod, jumps right in. Dennis, never did jump in. He would always put his front feet up (or foot up) and wait to be lifted in.

Our first tripod, Candy, was up and ready to roll the day after her surgery. She would still lap the other greyhounds in the back yard on three legs. I think she might have been faster on three legs.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Tenderhearts

Just now catching up on the past few days worth of posts. I'm delighted to hear he's doing so well post-amp already! Continuing prayers for Carrier, and gentle hugs for you, Eva! :hope :hope :hope:grouphug :grouphug

Guest paulamariez

Poor precious Carrier! Our first greyhound Chief had OS and he was on pain meds for what we thought was arthritis. It was almost better not knowing. Chief had a wonderful, happy and relatively (we hope, with the pain meds!) pain free life! In fact, Chief raced and ran in our backyard up until the very last day, before he went to the Bridge! He was strong and healthy and extremely happy and loving all the way until the end! We didn't know that he had cancer, and do you know what? Chief didn't know that he had cancer either! Just do whatever the vet suggests and treat Carrier like his normal, healthy old self! With lots of extra loving! Will keep Carrier in my prayers and my three hounds sending Carrier lots of doggie kisses!

Say hi to Carrier for us when you go to visit!

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest MorganKonaAlex
I tried the ramp into the car idea. Didn't work. Give him a little time and he will do exactly what he was doing as far as jumping into the car before.

Morgan was a front leg amp. DH and I led him out to the SUV. We started discussing how to lift him into the back of the SUV without touching the stitches when boing!!! Morgan jumped right in. We had just gotten the lecture from the surgeon to keep him quiet. DH and I looked at each other... than back to the Vet to make sure they didn't see it. :P

Carrier Update Nov 1 - the first visit

I don't know where to start - it was amazing seeing him.

I came to OSU at 5 on the dot - okay, I was actually ten minutes early. Julia came out to see me and said that they had just taken him for a pee. Unfortunately, the comfort rooms were taken, so she set us up in one of the exam rooms, with an extremely large and fluffy bed for him.

Julia explained to me that he was bruised a little, still fairly drugged and of course, this was going to be the first time seeing him without his leg. I understood and I was ready. She said, "I am really excited for you, because I know you are ready and he is going to be so happy to see you so I am going to get im right now." Did I ever mention how I much I love Julia? :lol

I heard the wheels turning on the wagon, so I opened the door and saw him. It was amazing seeing his sweet big eyes. He was sitting up on the wagon and just looking around. And then he started whining - he's really good at that. :rolleyes:

They moved him to the comfy bed and he laid down. I sat down beside him, with his head on my lap. Dr Couto came in to see how we were doing and so did Emily. So there we were, me, Carrier, Dr Couto, Julia and Emily all just admiring Carrier and so ahappy to see his progress. Dr Couto reminded me that it was only 24 hours ago that he came out of surgery. He says that he is doing amazing and they are really pleased with his progress.

Julia sat with me for about 30 minutes and we just talked about greyhounds - how wonderful they are etc... you know what I mean ;)

She brought in some food - kibble and soft food, but he didn't want any, so we tried some chicken baby food. He liked this, but refused to eat it out of the bowl, so I hand fed him sloppy, wet baby food from the palm of my hand - and it was entirely my pleasure! :)

He ate a small jar worth and decided that that was enough. He then feel asleep in my lap - going into REM multiple times while I stroked his chest. I told him that Bailey, Andy and Ella were good at home and Tim missed us terribly. But he would soon be here to take us home. I told him about all of you and all of our friends and family that are saying prayers for him and sending him good thoughts.

Just after 7, he started moving and crying - as if he wasn't comfortable anymore, so I got up and asked the front desk to page Emily. When I got back to the room, I tried to give him some more food, but he didn't want any, so I turned to wash my hands and get some more water. I turned my head and he was sitting up. And then.... in split second - HE STOOD UP! :gmark and then quickly fell. I ran to catch him, and he was screaming. I managed to hold him up and then I started calling for help - but no one could hear me. Somewhere I found the strength to hold him up with one hand, on my knees, and grab the handle on the door to open it to call for help. It felt like forever and then finally someone came to help. They laid him down again and I asked that they go and get Emily. She came, finally. She didn't hear the page. I told her that he got up on his own and she "that's awesome!" I said, "maybe, but I just had a heartattack!"

They put him on the wagon and I kissed him goodnight and told him we loved him and I would see him tomorrow. Emily said that he had such a good visit, that they are going to arrange two visits tomorrow!

When I got back to the hotel, I had to call and speak with Emily, because I was feeling really freaked out by the fact that he had fallen. So I want to make sure that he was okay. Emily couldn't take my call as she was back in surgery, but a nice girl named Val took my call. She assured me that Carrier was fine and unfortunately, falling was going to be part of his learning process. And then she told me that she was there when they wheeled Carrier back after out visit and HE JUMPED OFF THE WAGON AND WAS STANDING!!!! Sorry for the caps, but I can't believe his progress already! I am so pleased for him - he is strong and determind - we couldn't ask for more today.

I am going to see him again tomorrow and will let you know how that goes. Tomorrow should be interesting, since he will be even more alert! He's the best.

Guest jurishound

Sounds like he's sready to go home - what a determined boy! Hope you both get a good night's sleep and are refreshed and feeling great tomorrow. :nappy

Guest Kpparker

This is a picture of Elliot:

DSC00508.jpg

Soon Carrier will be smiling, and standing and getting around great, just like him. Every time I see Elliot he inspires me and reminds me how amazing our greys can be.

Have fun at your visit tomorrow with him! Keep us posted.

Wow! Sounds like your baby boy is doing GREAT! :yay A healing visit for you both. :heart Get plenty of rest tonight. ;)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.