Surgery For Alex's Corn Cobs

Guest CyndiW

Guest Winterwish

I was wondering about trying differant foods and the possibility of diarrhea at such a very delicate post-op time.

Initially to help a pup want to eat,trying differant things can be so beneficial. And when that thankfully has been working,and as you see Alex really healing,it might be good to keep the foods to as basic and bland as possible so that his system stays nice and easy,nice and steady. I'm sure you know that :) but I've been thinking about that as it regards such intensive GI surgery.

Sending all good thoughts to Alex for his continued recovery, :hope:dogcookie:dogcookie

Edited by Winterwish

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gr84me

The A/D is a really good post-op food; probably the best thing for him now. It's bland enough that it won't irritate anything, and it's very high calorie so it will put the weight on that he needs and get those systems back in shape. Unfortunately for me, Brody wouldn't touch it, which is what sent me off on my hunt to find something he would eat. Vet is also right about the drained hamburger/rice, if Alex will eventually eat that. Probably he is using all of his food right now, and the meds he is getting do affect the bowel action, so it might just take some time for everything to work itself through, but when it happens it will be another big benchmark that he's going to be okay. For an 11-year old guy, he's doing remarkable. He deserves some spoilin' after such a major operation!

I know this is almost impossible, but please don't get discouraged. When I took Brody in for his surgery, the vets told me that the odds weren't in his favor and recovery would be a major deal because the intestinal system is complicated. I thought I was experienced, from years of raising livestock, having my own sheep flock and doing all their shots, meds, hoof trimming, castrating, tail docking, helping the ewes lamb in all kinds of difficulty, etc., but nothing compared to gut surgery on my dog. I am so paranoid now about anything that could obstruct that you wouldn't believe it! :blink:

Just one step at a time; I think Alex's progress so far is wonderful!

Edited by gr84me

GREAT news on his progress!!! Any updates today?? I am leaving town later this afternoon and want to hear another positive update before I go. :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest CyndiW

Not sure if I mentioned this already but they pulled one of the drains (from the surgery sight) last night and hope to pull the other today. This is exciting. His appetite is continuing to increase every few hours. We just got out of school early for 102 temp (school buses would be too hot later) so I get to go see my boy!! I will update when I get back. Can't wait to give him kisses.

Guest gr84me
Not sure if I mentioned this already but they pulled one of the drains (from the surgery sight) last night and hope to pull the other today. This is exciting. His appetite is continuing to increase every few hours. We just got out of school early for 102 temp (school buses would be too hot later) so I get to go see my boy!! I will update when I get back. Can't wait to give him kisses.

How exciting!!! Still praying and sending good thoughts - sounds like he's on the right track. OK, Alex, you know what you have to do next! I'm so glad he's eating the A/D!

Wow, 102 is hot for you guys (would be for us, too). I don't know about your schools but none of ours have AC so they're like ovens (plus they're built to keep heat in during the winter, not for summer ventilation) and the kids just melt if it gets over 90 or so. Hope everyone is holding up OK and the temps go down soon.

Hope you are now visiting your boy and he is doing well. Keeping fingers, toes, and paws crossed for him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest CyndiW

I had a really nice long visit. It is so hard to leave him but hopefully I wore him out with all the kissing and loving and he will sleep well tonight. He is off all pain meds!! However, he is now clotting too well (something came back positive in the bloodwork) so he is on Plavix to prevent a blood clot. He went from one extreme to the other. She said he will probably be on this for about 2 weeks just to be safe. He did vomit some stomach acid 30 min after his Baytril injection so they were withholding food for 6 hours. They think that maybe it just went in too fast but Alex already had a stomach acid problem prior to this so I am not surprised that he vomited some acid. He did take a very large poop finally when I walked him about 6pm so things are definitely getting from one end to the other. They are still hoping to pull the last drain tomorrow and possibly the urinary catheter by the end of the weekend. They get back a culture tomorrow finally showing the bacteria that came from his incision and insides just to make sure that the 2 antibiotics he is on will finish off the infection. If not, they will have to add/change and I pray it is not some weird drug resistant bacteria. He had some baggy pockets of fluid left in his legs but overall they were 200% better than what I saw on Tuesday. He no longer has fat sausages for legs. Alex is a very bald dog so we could really see a lot of red inflamed, swollen skin where the hair wasn't. Over half of this is returning to a normal color. His incision looks great.

They have already called an early dismissal tomorrow for heat so Joe and I will be able to hit the road around 12:30. I am really surprised that the teachers are getting to leave early because our school is air conditioned. It is just the buses they are worried about for the kids. I guess the weather policy states that teachers are dismissed after the students but this is the first time we have ever had heat dismissal, usually just snow. Teachers have even had to stay when the water line breaks and we can't flush the toilets. Doesn't really make sense but I guess it is how they have the policy. Normally, I could really use the extra time without students to plan but since Alex is so far away, I am taking full advantage of getting to leave early.

Hoping things improve more each day and your boy will be home very soon.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

So glad to hear that Alex is continuing to improve. What a trooper he is. :yay Sending him many more prayers and light, and :getwell wishes!

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest PiagetsMom

So glad to hear that Alex is definitely coming along in the healing process and that you had such a good visit with him. Hoping for another good update today!

Guest gr84me

:banana

Terrific news! OK, Alex, just a couple more things and you can go home!

Hoping for quick solutions to the bacteria and tummy acid problems!

Big huge hugs to all of you, too ...

Checking for news .....

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest CyndiW

ALEX IS COMING HOME TOMORROW!!! :yay He will be on six oral meds for about 2 weeks. We will have to take him back for 2 appt this coming week and one in 2 weeks. We cannot be any happier right now. I truly feel that considering the odds we were given, this is a miracle. Thank you so much for all of the prayers and kind words. I am completely exhausted and have been running on adrenalin, your supportive emails, and of course the love that I have for this boy. They pulled his last drain this morning along with the urinary catheter. He is off fluids as of tonight since he is eating/drinking so well and all of his meds can be switched to oral. However, she is leaving his IV cath in through the night just in case something should go wrong. The only real concern right now is the small chance that he would throw a blood clot but he is on the plavix to hopefully prevent this. His bladder needs to stretch back out from having in the catheter so he is peeing everywhere and all over himself but she acted like this will resolve in the next 24 hours. In fact, after they pulled off the fluids, it seemed to get a little better now that he is not getting double fluids from the bag and drinking. He also ate some of his regular dry food for us tonight. My husband had grilled some hamburger for him also so it wouldn't have the grease. He almost took my fingers off trying to eat it. His appetite is definitely back stronger than ever. He vomited stomach acid again earlier today but it was once again after his Baytril injection so they weren't overly concerned. However, he took another big poop for me so things are certainly moving in the right direction. Ah, the things we can be happy about............. Thanks again for all of your support through this very difficult week.

Guest sassichari

Yay!!! You made my crappy night so much better with that great news!!!He will get better so much faster at home with his Mom and Dad!I am so happy for all of you! Congrats!