Surgery For Alex's Corn Cobs

Guest CyndiW

Guest CyndiW

We finally took Alex to the vet when my husband noticed in the trash what I had thought was the corn cobs he vomited this morning was actually just rolled up oatmeal that I had fed. It was very firm and hard and did have some pieces of corn in it so I didn't really dissect it at 4:54 am to find out for sure. He has also taken several small BMs so I thought maybe we were heading to the clear. However, he has not even attempted to drink any water since Tuesday night. After feeling around and taking 2 x-rays, the vet feels 99.9% sure that there is definitely a complete blockage. I am nervous because she is the only 1 of 4 vets that has not put my greys under before. However, one of the vet techs that always tells me just how it is said she was an emergency vet in Texas for over 20 years before she moved back here. There will be 2 other vets available if something goes wrong and I requested that she look at his file to see exactly what the other vets give him to relax him before putting him under. He just had emergency surgery in March when something managed to puncture an artery and several veins in his back leg while we were walking around the lake. Two emergency surgeries in a 6 month span doesn't look very good on our part, does it? Any positive thoughts and prayers for Alex will be greatly appreciated. We are home now just waiting for him to go under.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thoughts coming your way for a simple surgery and a smooth recovery :):grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest trevdog

Sending prayers....my girl Dallas had emergency surgery a few months ago to remove a piece of foam from her intestines. It was very intense and required 22 staples, but 2 months later she is peferctly normal. Luckily they were able to push the foam through instead of cutting the intestines open.

He will probably be on a special diet and will have to be kept overnight depending on the procedure.

Hoping for a quick, successful surgery for your boy.

Sending prayers for Alex. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Lots more prayers from here.

Two emergency surgeries in a 6 month span doesn't look very good on our part, does it?

It looks to me like you're doing a good job of getting your pup medical attention when he needs it. Accidents happen.

Guest gr84me

Accidents happen; please don't be too hard on yourselves.

Brody scarfed down a rubber toy last summer and also had to have surgery to have the obstruction removed, complete with 20-some staples.

I'm just glad you took him in when you did because the alternative isn't good!

Dr. Stack (www.greythealth.com) has some good advice regarding greyhound anesthesia; hopefully your vet knows the protocol to use for GH's.

Alex might have a little trouble eating (really really sore tummy and GI tract) at first so you might want to stock up on mushy special treats for a few days, and the vet will most likely send him home with some prescription food, too.

You'll all be in our prayers tonight!

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Winterwish

Sending good thoughts out for Alex, :grouphug

And yes,definitely,accidents happen to all of us. Just tonite my greyhound got a hold of packaging tape. You're taking care of the cob situation and I'll be thinking of you guys. Hopefully by morning you'll have a very good update. Feel better soon Alex! :hope

Guest CyndiW

Update: He did not have an obstruction after all. My husband and I had discussed driving him 1.5 hours for an ultrasound but she was so positive that there was an obstruction. The corn cob pieces had made it to the large intestine and she said they will pass (not easily but they will). However, the stomach and small intestines have shut down from the trauma. She did not see any dead tissue but they just were not working while she had him opened up. She is putting Reglan and Pepcid in his IV. I am relieved that he did not have an obstruction and I know she really needed to see what was going on in there but he is 11 and I don't like him to go under unnecessarily. He is doing fine this morning and she said he has already passed some of the cobs. However, she is not convinced his stomach and small intestines are working yet. She is going to start feeding him and giving him some water to see what happens. She is optimistic that he can go home tonight as long as everything starts working again. I want to go see him but I know it will just get him rowdy then upset him when I leave again. I know he is in good hands.

It was good that they were able to get those 2 x-rays because they also showed the severity of his back pain. He just went through a month of Adequin shots for this but she also wants to try some pain meds for that. He bit me twice in the face a few months ago and my niece on the top of her head last month. Therefore, we knew he was having some pain issues and were working on that already but did not realize the severity of it until now.

Thank you so much for all of your thoughts, prayers, suggestions, and kind words. Hopefully, he is on the road to recovery. He is very food obsessive so I don't think it will take long to get him to eat. The vet said she was going to try to get him to eat some soft food in a few minutes and I laughed to myself thinking this dog eats no matter how sick or painful he is.