Surgery For Alex's Corn Cobs

Guest CyndiW

Guest CyndiW

He did have a good night. I was wrong about his blood pressure(thought is was normal along with temp and heartrate). The top number has been between 210 and 220. However, the surgeon says this is from the swelling in his legs from leaky veins and not a true reading. However, it was down to 170 this morning. They said he had a very restful night (I came back to the hotel at 12:30). He also walked well again at 3am. They still have the urinary catheter in just in case. He licked more baby food and drank some water on his own. I will have my husband bring the blender for the chicken. I am also going to have him bring one of the nice bolster beds. That way Alex can start to elevate his head more if he wants to. He is using some of our more washable beds and some of their beds/pillows/blankets. However, I think he would be excited to see one of the bolster beds that he spends much time in at home. How would my husband fix chicken livers if he went out and bought some while he was staying here? (I have to leave at noon today but then he is taking over.) Could he just get a hot plate and pot and boil them like I did the chicken? I have heard that greys love them but we have never fixed them for our boys. His urine remains dark and there is thin dark liquid coming from his nose. They say this is all of the infection and bad cells leaving the body. It sure looks bad but what was very dark red and purple skin is lightening up every time I see him so I hope this trend continues. He only has 12 hours left before his prognosis gets a little better if he continues to make these small gains. He is still fighting. He has come so far; I hope he doesn't give up now.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, he could fix chicken livers on a hot plate in some water. Might be able to get liver baby food, which would be easier? Might also check the dairy case at the store to see if they have any reduced sodium cheese slices (in among all the other packaged processed cheese slices)? One or two regular slices probably wouldn't hurt him .................

It sounds like he is making some progress. Keeping up the prayers!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest trevdog

It sounds like he's doing a little better this morning. If there's a microwave around you could use that. And then maybe puree them a bit. Just don't give too much at a time liver is pretty rich but high in protein.

I'm sure having one of his favorite beds will help too.

Sending more prayer's Alex's way....

Guest gr84me

Tough call. My experience (as posted earlier) was the same as onrushpam's - Brody needed constant attention in order to get him to eat. But I didn't have to deal with the IV's and the drains. Is that something you can ask the vet to teach you how to handle? Except for the removal? Do you have any nurse or doctor friends or family members?

What finally got Brody to eat was taking some of his regular kibble, which he loves, soaking it in water and mushing it all up and adding a little garlic powder to it. I had the same experience as you with the water, but eventually he got up and started drinking. Food is much more important; baby food is very good! But it was truly an every-few-minutes thing for a couple of days. Gotta get those innards working. Does Alex like cottage cheese or yogurt? Alex will love the comfy bed!

Please don't blame yourself for the other vet, either; it might be that there was a puncture or the corn cobs caused the intestines to stop working and the surgery really was necessary. Any gut/bowel surgery is a major deal exactly because of this type of thing. I know it looks truly awful (Brody was seriously purple, too) but please don't lose hope. Once the infection is under control, recovery can happen fast!

More prayers on the way ...

I know that my dogs love fishy things, cause they are smelly, and they also love canned green tripe, which is even more smelly - perhaps you could try that? You can mix it with a bit of water to make it more runny, although it's kind of chunky. It could be worth a try if it encourages him to eat, and being canned it's fully cooked.

Sending continued vibes to your boy!

I'm glad to hear Alex is doing a little better. It sounds like he is a strong boy. Does he like eggs? They're easily digested & a high quality protein. Easy to cook too. If he's leaking protein, it doesn't matter what you feed him. Just getting him to eat is the important thing (you already know that).

Hang in there Alex - we're all pulling for you!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

No suggestions on getting him to eat, just wanted to say I'm still pulling for you and Alex. Glad to hear he had a good night!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest greytexplorer

I second what Sweetdogs said.........scramble up some eggs! You could do that on a hot plate, too, with a small pan.

Also, you can add some cottage cheese to the egg. My gyrls love it (me too for that matter). Chop up the chicken livers and throw it in with the egg and cottage cheese. Yowza---there's some protein!

Dark urine = blood in urine. This will correct once infection is cleared up and innards start working again.

Take your sweet boy home when he gets to where YOU feel comfortable dealing with his medical care.

Do you have friends/family that have dealt with a very sick animal or person and could help you out? (I have!) My problem would be the TIME. Most of us probably DON'T have the ability to spend 18-24 hours a day, monitoring the patient.

Hang in there, all of you! :kiss2 Waiting for another good update!

I'm so glad that Alex is hanging in there and making some progress! :bighug

There are so many ways to cook chicken livers, if they're just for Alex. Your DH could just wrap them in foil and bake them in a hot oven for twenty minutes. Spread them out a bit inside the foil so they get done through. That way he won't have to handle or smell them too much. He could grill (broil?) them on a sheet of foil, or dry-fry them in a non-stick pan. Boiling them in water in a pan is good too - and he could bring you the water for Alex to drink, too. :thumbs-up

Or maybe when you're home for a bit you could make a big batch of liver cake, which is NEVER refused in this house, and is easy and clean to take in and feed. You can freeze it in small batches too, and just break it apart once it's thawed.

As to other stinky things - have you tried him on sardines or mackerel?

Still sending prayers and good thoughts!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Winterwish

I'm so glad to hear Alex has a better nite,even if only a little better. better is better,right? You're doing a fantastic job of helping Alex thru' this and hubby too.

I've always cooked the livers lightly wrapped in a piece of tin foil too (that way I could just throw out the piece of tin foil,and have no clean up). I typed it out last nite actually but thought it was too much 'talking' so i shortened it but should've just left it.

When I first fed livers I didn't know how to either,so I just put them in the toaster oven in tinfoil at 325 for 15 - 20 minutes to try it that way,and they came out just right,adn do it that way ever since.

Alex is always in my thoughts and how dedicated and loving each of you are in taking care of him. :bighug

Keep getting better darlin',okay? :kiss2:getwell:hope

Edited by Winterwish

Guest CyndiW

Alex has had 5 jars of baby food since last night and the last 4 he has eaten by him himself this morning (not force fed by me). He is also drinking some water. They are getting him up every hour and he is finally walking well. However, he can't wait to get back to that bed. We offered him some turkey meat and a banana (his favorite) but he turned them down along with the boiled chicken I took. Joe is going to pick up some no salt green beans (another huge favorite) tonight. I know they don't have protein but they are rich in antioxidants and the surgeon said it would be great if he will eat them. As long as he is getting the protein from the baby food, my husband doesn't want to have to try to cook anything in the hotel room (although he will in a heartbeat if necessary and I have shared all the suggestions so he is sort of on standby with that). He took some of Alex's dry food (fish/oatmeal) because the vet ok'd it so we will have to wait and see on that. Overall, everything seems to be going well if only those protein levels would start to go up. He is getting an artificial protein in his IV that is supposed to also help along with the plasma transfusions. His blood pressure also went back up to 220 and is kind of hanging around there. She still feels that he is ok and that as the leg swelling starts to go down so will the pressure. They are telling Joe now that if he can get over this last hump in the next 12 hours, he should be fine. However, they keep reminding us that it is also during this time that some take a turn for the worse. If he gets through this, I would like to be a fly on the wall when he realizes that the 2 donor cats have been staring at him 24/7. They are confined to their cages because he is occupying the CCU floor space so I am sure they hope he gets well soon too so they can play freely in their houses.

Guest trevdog

That sounds promising! Maybe try some baby food meat sticks, kind of like vienna sausages, he might eat those too(they also stink pretty good). He is probably sore, tired, and low on energy which is why he is wanting to go to bed.

Guest gr84me

Oh, good news! If he continues to eat and moves around a little more, I think you'll see almost magical improvement! Getting up and walking around helps the intestines to do their job. He's building up his strength. We have all fingers, toes, paws crossed at our house for Alex. I know it's scary and exhausting for you and Joe.

I know protein is important but I think you're right about what to feed him - anything he'll eat and keep down is crucial at this point. Just have to remember that his tummy is really really sore (intestine lining may have been impacted even if there wasn't an obstruction; didn't peristalsis stop?); he had major surgery; he is taking lots of medicine and the fluids he's getting are making him swell up, so it's no wonder he's feeling sick. Once the IV fluids are stopped and the pain meds can be changed/reduced and he is able to pee and poop on his own, you'll see huge improvement. The sooner you can bring him home, the happier he will be.

Hang in there; you're doing a great job! :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Edited by gr84me

Guest CyndiW

They did puree his chicken and rice tonight and he ate it through the syringe. He seems to like eating that way; that is also how they get much of the baby food down. Joe said with all the pain meds, it is kind of like a hungry drunk trying to eat. He opens his eyes wide, gets excited, leans up to eat, swallows, then falls asleep. A few minutes later, he does this over again. Hopefully soon he won't need all those pain meds and he will be able to concentrate more on his passion of food. I will ask Joe to pick up some of the baby food sticks when he picks up some green beans. Joe went back to the hotel to get some rest and when he called for an update they said he was resting very soundly so he decided to not go back tonight to let him rest and heal (unless something changes). The surgeon called me a couple of hours ago and she used the word thrilled a lot when describing his progress. The only real concern right now is that she keeps pulling the catheter so he doesn't get a UTI which she said could be quite drug resistant at this time if he develops one. However, when she pulls it he keeps peeing on himself. The skin around that area is so tight now because she had to remove so much bad skin when she went in to clean up the infection. When he pees, it is shooting straight into the incision which is also dangerous. She did put the catheter back in tonight. Thanks again for all the continuing thoughts, prayers, kind words, and suggestions.

Guest gr84me

Just read your update from last night - this is so encouraging! C'mon Alex, you're almost there! One suggestion (from my own experience): If Alex really likes his normal kibble (and Brody does, so this worked for him), you might want to try mushing it up with some water (and even adding a tiny pinch of garlic powder, not too much) and feeding it through the syringe. Brody was almost a new dog when I did that; he just scarfed it up, even though he rejected it when he first came out of surgery (probably 'cause the meds made him woozy, as you've noticed). If those antibiotics are working, and it sounds like they are, eating food and getting up and moving around are the keys to recovery.

One other thing, and it's just a warning, not meant to scare you. When Alex poops for the first time or maybe even the second, it will most likely be dark bloody clots. If your vet is keeping him there, you might not even notice it - most likely the vet won't release him until he does, 'cause that's the most critical test to see if everything's working okay. However, if he does it at home, it might be kind of scary. As long as there isn't any bright colored blood and there is some stool in it, that's probably OK, but ask your vet about it. You might want to stock up on some betadine, some antibiotic cream and some Telfa pads and wrap (just to help the IV places heal if they need it) if you don't already have them in your first aid kit; also, a digital thermometer and some Vaseline :blush . EMT gel is what I finally used and it worked perfectly. Most likely you won't have any trouble with the IV spots but I'm of the "be prepared" group and this is just my experience, again ...

I don't know where you're located; I'm assuming somewhere in Ohio and I'm hoping the terrible flooding is not a problem for you. I am also a school teacher but I don't go back until next Monday. Do you have any friends or family who can sit with Alex for a day or two when he comes home? I can imagine how stressful this is and how tired you are. When he turns the corner, and it sounds like he may have already done so, things will get better fast. We're still praying for Alex's healing and sending you good thoughts.

Guest CyndiW

Just talked to his tech this morning. He ate 2 full jars of baby food again. He wanted to eat it right out of the jar! She said when they went for a walk, he pulled her down the hallway so his strength must be improving. He has been maintaining his weight of 74 lbs although he looks like he has lost 8-10 lbs. I figured it was all fluid and sure enough he went from 74 to 67 since yesterday at 3pm. I am assuming that is a very good sign that the fluid from his very swollen legs is coming off along with other swelling. Hopefully, the vet will confirm that this morning. It will take awhile for him to regain the muscle but we are just so happy that we will have a goal that doesn't involve IVs and catheters. He is starting to reach out and grab a hold of them with his paws. He does this to me even when he was not feeling well at all but so far he seen them as pain and has often tried to bite them in the face (they have used his muzzle quite a bit when they have to work on him). They have been so patient with him and it paid off because now that he feels better he is showing his loving side to them too.