Very, Very Sick Grey....no One Is Really Sure Why

Guest DaiyesDad

Guest DaiyesDad

Thank you all for your quick and informed replies. I am sending all of this info to Casper's family, his vet, and the members of our group who are working closely with them.

Again, thanks

Very basic, but make sure they are working with a vet who is familiar with greyhound bloodwork. If vet is comparing this guy's WBC (or any other results) to 'other dogs', the values may look normal, but be high for a grey. All those CBCs are worthless if not interpreted correctly. You should find out what kind of tick panel was done(type & what lab used).

Sending my many prayers for precious Casper and his family. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

The fairly quick onset sure sounds like a TBD or environmental toxin. Could he have gotten into something in the yard? I sure hope he recovers soon.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Any news? I am also definitely for starting the doxy treatment asap. The titres don't always show up positive and it's such a simple and inexpensive treatment if that's what's going on! Doxy is also what's used to treat leptospirosis. which someone else mentioned.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Was Caspar examined by a grey-savy vet? Sometimes EXERTIONAL RHABDOMYOLYSIS can start with the symptoms

described above....

I wish Caspar a speedy recovery...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest DaiyesDad

Thank you to all that have replied and shown your concern. I have sent everything on the our groups President and she is working with Casper, his family, and the vets. I was hoping to have more news before I wrote, but I wanted to respond.

He seems to be doing a little better. He is eating and moving around, though not much. I will let you know as soon as I find out more.

Again,

Thank you

I'm no expert, but in my opinion it sounds like TBD and I KNOW that the Doxy helps, because that is what helped me. a few yrs. back I had several tick bites and got very sick. My tick bites swelled up huge and were all red and my Dr. put me on Doxy right away. it did help while I was on the med. but all my symptoms would return every time I stopped taking the Doxy, so I was on the doxy for 9 months.Sharon

Guest Kyliesdaddy

Hello all! I just wanted to give an update on Casper, my moms grey. I picked him up from the vet yesterday and I am pleased to inform that he is improving quite well. The vet said he now weighs 63 pounds, up from the mid 50's. He actually jumped up into my car and now runs and plays more frequently. The vet has started cutting Caspers meds back as well.

Kyliesdaddy

I am just catching up on Casper today - what a frightening illness. It is so good to see that he is now responding and doing so well. I would also be interested in the final diagnosis in case one of our greys develops the same kind of symptoms. Best wishes that he continues to get strong and has a full return to health.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Sending more prayers for good measure! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I just saw this thread. Poor pup! Could he have been bitten by a spider?

Beledi

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest StarlaDear

Glad to hear that he is doing better. I have to second and third all the posts about tick borne diseases. My Starry now has immune mediated disorder thought to have been caused by erlichia. She has been tested seven times (by four different labs) and only came up positive once. Many cases are sub-clinical and never show on tests. Doxy is usually the answer when signs and symptoms point that way. Usually a longer course (at least a month) is the best answer. It also does sound strangely like the septic poly-arthritis that a friend's dog developed after recieving a lyme's vaccine. The thought on that case was that the hound already had a low level lyme or other tick borne infection and the vaccine spurred her into an auto-immune crisis. May tick disease have long lasting (sometimes sub-clinical) immune and/or multisystem effects. Just out of curiosity...what meds is he still on.

Lots of love, prayers and support are coming to you from us.....

Sami & My Sweet Dear Starla

:hope:hope

Guest meandmygreys
Others will know much better than me, but I immediately thought Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Thats what I thought also.

I thought the same thing..