Wenda Has Osteocarcoma In Shoulderblade

Guest septembercrow

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry to hear your distressing news about the OS. :grouphug Glad you've joined the CoG. They were a God-send to me when I lost my Derby girl last year. Good pain mngt. is critical, as well as knowing when it's time to say goodbye. All three of mine had the fast-growing type of OS, and only made it 6 weeks from the first limp to failure of the leg with horrible swelling that couldn't resolve. :cry1 Your precious girl lives in the NOW. Give her whatever she loves to eat, take lots of pictures, love on her, and cherish every moment. My prayers are with you both. :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Hugs and prayers. We lost our lab blend, Chester, to OS of the jaw 7 years ago. I have never regretted that we did not try radiation or chemo and surgery was not an option. Instead, he received pain medicines, hugs, kisses, and all the scritches he could handle. What I remember most about that time was fear: fear that we would wait too long; fear we would say good bye too soon; fear that he would suffer; fear that he would pass when we weren't home; and fear that the fear would never end. 7 years later, I still think of my handsome dude often but always with a smile.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Lexi was diagnosed mid January of 2007 & PTS 2/10/2007. About 3 weeks which is very short; but she was not using her front leg at all & was in quite a bit of pain inspite of 2 medications. She slipped once in the snow causing more pain so I just did not want to wait any longer. I'm crying still today reading all these posts but know that you are NOT alone in this journey.

Guest septembercrow
Hugs and prayers. We lost our lab blend, Chester, to OS of the jaw 7 years ago. I have never regretted that we did not try radiation or chemo and surgery was not an option. Instead, he received pain medicines, hugs, kisses, and all the scritches he could handle. What I remember most about that time was fear: fear that we would wait too long; fear we would say good bye too soon; fear that he would suffer; fear that he would pass when we weren't home; and fear that the fear would never end. 7 years later, I still think of my handsome dude often but always with a smile.

Wow, that is exactly how I feel-fearful of doing not the best thing. I don't like the fact that it is clouding the last days I have with her.

Thanks so much for your response, makes me realize I'm not crazy and not the only one who has these feelings.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Has anyone ever done radiation for pain?

Thank, J

I'm so sorry you've gotten this devastating news. There's been some very good advice here, and you are right, we do know how you feel. I know it may be a long shot at this point, but have you considered trying artemisinin? Lots of info on it in the Celebrating Greyhounds Cancer issue several years back. I've had Winnie on it for 3 years---yes, she's still here 3 years post amp (no chemo or radiation). But it was in her lower hind leg, and she was only 8. You just never can tell. With Patsy, who had lymphosarcoma, which is supposed to respond well to chemo, we did everything right. Removed her spleen before it burst and spread, started chemo, which she tolerated well. But less than half-way through, it spread to her central nervous system, and we had to let her go.

Knowing you may have a short time with your precious girl, don't let her see your sadness. Try not to let that sadness steal the good days from you, because then the Monster will have won. Make sure she knows she's safe and very much loved, and she will tell you when it's time to say good-bye. That's all we can ask for, and all we can give.

You are both in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest PhillyPups

Jackie :bighug to you, scritches for sweet Wenda, she is a beautiful girl. Enjoy the moments, treasure the memories you are making. Love her totally. You will know when it is time. I was terrified when I lost my most Divine Ms. SugarBear to osteo at 14.5, and never felt so alone as I did then. I was afraid I would let her go too soon, and that as soon as I did a cure would be found, and had no one to share the journey and/or the decision with. :bighug

If you need to talk, let me know, a lot of us have been exactly where you are. Reading this brings all the feelings back. Sugs was diagnosed 4 years ago, just before GIG (April) I got to share her journey for another month. Sugs was incredible, as is your beautiful girl, I do not regret letting her go, but there is not a day that goes by that I don't miss her shed a few tears for her, as I am doing now.

I had a hard time trying to talk to you yesterday and not feel it all over again, and stay positive for you and Wenda. I apologize if I seemed rude, I was constantly praying for you and your journey, and the words to come that would be positive while we talked. :bighug

Scritches for your beautiful girl. My son lost his grey to osteo also. When they got the diagnosis, they were devastated, as we all are. They decided that when the pain meds needed to be given within a certain amount of time to control her pain, it would be time. When that time came, they both took off Friday and Monday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday he carried her to their back garden with her bed, to her favorite spot, fed her steak, ice cream, everything she loved, and told her how much they loved her. Monday they let her go.

None of my hounds have ever replaced ones that I lost, but the make my journey easier, and all have a place in my heart.

Prayers for you both.

:bighug

Pat.

Guest deanna

:grouphug

I too adopted a senior girl who was diagnosed with OS after we had been with her only 7 months. I know just what you're going through. PM me if you'd like - I lost my girl Pammy in February of this year, she was 13.

Her cancer was just above her knee and the bone was already very weak when she was diagnosed. It was such a vulnerable area for her to have cancer, it was likely that the bone would break. We took the week off of work, laid on the floor with her day and night, fed her ice cream and ham and cheese sandwiches for 5 days and watched her get weaker, and they pain meds stop working. We let her go "early"...she went out with a bang. She was still happy and not completely ruined by pain.

We figured at her age, what's another day or two? Why wait until she wants to die. Looking back, I feel like all of that happened to someone else, not to me. It really is completely heartbreaking.

Hugs to you, and THANK YOU for adopting a senior :beatheart

:grouphug

I'm so sorry--I'm also local so let me know if I can be of any help.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest septembercrow

Hello again and thanks everyone. Hello Carol and Pat.

Wenda is still hanging in there. Between Rym and Tram the pain seems to be manageable. The bump is getting really big though...

She stil enjoys going to the dog park and seeing everyone, so I'm just taking it day by day.

I'm trying to push the sadness away that seems to loom around every corner knowing what is coming. I don't want it to ruin the time we have left together, but it's so hard. I feel like life is on hold...

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers.

J

Continued prayers. it is so hard. Wenda knows you love her and lives only for today. enjoy the quality time you have left.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest gapeach1

Circle of Grey is a greyt source of support and comfort. Try and make every day special with Wenda. Osteo is like playing roulette and you never know what's going to come out. I've lost this battle myself and it stinks. Then, last year, I lost another grey to a sudden set of seizures and stroke. You just never know. All you can do is hold you houndie and hang on for as long as you can. Make the best informed decisions that you can, and let them go to the bridge with dignity. It's the greytest gift you can give them, even though it hurts like hell.

GAPeach1

Be sure to take lots of pictures of your sweet girl. My DD lost a girl to OS & Emma let her know when it was time so she went with dignity. Tell her you love her & that it's ok for her to go run free, even thu your heart is breaking at the end. Hugs to you.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys
Why wait until she wants to die

I think this part in Deanna's post is really the biggest part of knowing when to say goodbye.

Just recently with lossing Cassie the vet was talking to me about amputation and how I might get 8 months to "come to terms with it"

So basically he was saying this will give me time to deal with the pain and sadness that is going to come. But to me my girl had to come first and for most. Cassie had already come to terms with what was to come and there was no way I could put my girl through one more day of pain just to ease my heartbreak.

There is never going to be an easy time to make the choice of when to say goodbye. It will always break your heart, you will always second guess yourself, you will cry and throw a fit and be mad and so many other emotions but I say for the dogs best interest it's best to do it to early, you may think, than a day to late.

I'm so sorry you are going through this and it's never an easy choice. I know all too well :(

Many hugs headed your way :grouphug

Guest septembercrow

Wow, thanks so much everyone.

It makes me feel better to know I'm not alone.

It does feel like a waiting game...We were at the park today and she took off running and I could tell by the way she was running it hurt, but she still went at it. She still gets excited to be at the park and see other canines so...

Like you've all said though, I don't want to wait until it's too bad. I sure hope your right that she'll tell me when.

For now, just trying to enjoy her everyday and not let her know I'm so sad and scared to let her go.

J

Guest WarmheartedPups

You will know when its time.....you dont think you will....but you do.

I went through this like so many others here...and I decided to manage the

pain...and it was management. The Vet told me bone cancer is quite painful

so its important to keep ahead of the pain.

I am so sorry...keep writing....everyone is here for you.

Guest Hawke

I am so sorry to hear of Wenda's diagnosis.

Our wonderful 12.5-yo Shiloh was diagnosed with osteo in his front leg about this time last year. We had to put him down in November. We did not opt for amputation--it just didn't seem right for a dog of his age. Instead, like you, we opted for pain meds and lots of love.

We did radiation for the pain and the first set of treatments (they did two the first time) seemed to be miraculous for relieving the pain. Shiloh actually got past limping completely for a few weeks! The second treatment helped greatly as well, but I think we waited a bit too long between the two. We didn't get to the third one. The biggest problem is the expense. It's hard to say it when you're in the midst of it, but you have to have a spending limit as well as a regular heartache limit.

The very end happened quite rapidly--within a day and a half he went from a perky dog to a sad dog. We were scrambling to find a vet to come out on short notice as my husband adamantly did not want to take the dog to the vet's office for his last moments. We did find one.

We also started cooking for Shiloh those last months. Search for "dog cancer diet" and you will find a number of them. The basic idea is to have it be high protein, high "good fat" and low carbohydrate because the theory is that the carbs feed the cancer. We also fed him a lot of fish oil tablets and beta carotene tablets.

For the last few months every walk was special--on good days we went about half as far as we used to but Shiloh perked up every time we said, "Walk the dog?" Even on his very last day he still wanted to walk, and the fact that he suddenly couldn't go more than a slow, slow walk helped us know.

There are likely those who would say we waited too long, but then there are others still who would have treated longer. It is a matter only you can decide with your dog. Know that there will be some who will disapprove of whatever you do. Greytalk is a wonderful, wonderful place to come for both support and information.

BTW, our life is again graced with a greyhound: The tremendous Sabot came into our lives less than a month after Shiloh passed. I don't know that I was quite ready for another dog, but it turned out to be a very good thing. I'm not suggesting you think about "the next one" right now--I just wanted you to know that despite the fact that we missed Shiloh a very long time (who am I fooling? I still miss him!) we have been able to keep going.

Many good wishes and white light to you and to Wenda!

Edited by Hawke