Hit Us Like A Ton A Bricks: Cancer Diagnosis

I am still reeling from the news. I took Snickers in for a follow-up x-ray because she had started limping again after a second course of Metacam. The x-ray showed two bone lesions in her upper femur bone. (I think that's where they were -- everything was a blur.) They want to x-ray her lungs tomorrow a.m. and then do a bone biopsy if they are clear. The scarey thing is that nothing was apparent four weeks ago.

Any info on options -- needle aspiration versus biopsy, etc... would be helpful.

I kept asking the vet if it could be anything else....not likely. I guess at this point we have to determine the type of tumor and then proceed based on the results.

She's only 5 1/2. I knew that a limp sometimes foreshadowed cancer, but I thought it was so unlikely because of her age.

How do you go about asking Dr. Couto for advice -- is he a consulting veterinarian?

Damn. Here come the waterworks again.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug

I am so sorry to hear this. I haven't had to speak with Dr. Couto personally but from what I understand he is incredibly helpful and answers all emails. I think you can contact him through his OSU page or someone may be able to give you his email address.

Big hugs, and kiss Snickers for me. :grouphug

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest greytmonty

I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you. I hope Dr. Couto has some good information for you. Please give Snickers a big hug from me and Monty.

I am so sorry for you all and for Snicker. I have been down this road with osteo before and it is a hard one. Speaking from personal experience I will never do a bone biopsy again. It is extremely painful for the dog. what will you do if it's osteo? Amputate or manage with pain meds. There is so much to decide and it's difficult. Know, we are all here and support whatever you decide. In my experience it's not rare that the lesions were'nt present 4 weeks ago. This can trully progress so quickly. One of mine grew in a matter of days. You could see the tumor growing day by day. This however, is not common either but all osteo cases are different. The one thing they do all have is pain and it can be severe. Please make sure your vet gives enough pain meds. You want that for them. I pray for strength, comfort and guidance for you all. I am terribly sorry for what you are going through. Remember, Snickers lives for today.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I am so very sorry to hear your news. I have no experience, but others who do will reply, but in the meantime, I am sending white light and healing thoughts to Snicker, and to you.

Dr. Couto is fantastic, and will be able to to help: greyosu@osu.edu

Lots of help at Circle of Greys too.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest whatahound

I am so sorry this has happened. I'm sure others will have some advice for you on your options. I just get this sick feeling in my stomach everytime I read of another cancer diagnois.

Prayers and positive thoughts to you and Snickers.

Dr. Cuoto's team use the email greyosu@osu.edu

I have only ever heard of him responding within 24 hours or less. Definitely contact him asap.

Sorry to hear about snickers

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

When Lexi got sick with OS I had my vets office email it directly to Dr. Coutu at OSU. Your vet should be able to do the same. I also did not opt for a bone biopsy. Just heard they were very painful & the results were not going to change my treatment plan. I have the name of a very greyhound experienced vet in Mass who I got a 2nd opinion from. PM me if you want her name & number. Cry all the tears you want; its a very difficult time.

:bighug Snickers :bighug

:bighug Gail :bighug

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

Guest HersheysMom

I'm so sorry :grouphug

Starlight had a needle aspirate done to determine it was osteo. We knew it was cancer from the xrays, but this determined the type. It took only a few minutes. I was under the impression that to do a full bone biopsy the leg would have to be amputated, so that would have had to be the route we wanted to go before asking for the biopsy. I could certainly be mistaken. I would ask about the aspirate, though, because at least in our case, it didn't take long and gave us some answers.

I'm very sorry - please post an update when you can.

I'm so sorry. It seems there have been so many diagnosis lately. And yes, you need to cry. I cried a lot when Winnie was diagnosed 3 years ago. But I tried not to let her see me. Our precious hounds live in the moment, they don't understand our sadness when we think of a very uncertain future. Find out all you can, and armed with that knowledge and support, look into your heart for the answer. You will do what's right for you and your girl. A lot of us here have experience with osteo, and the people on Circle of Grey have even more. And Dr. Couto---his knowledge and compassion are invaluable. If you go to the Hope For Hounds website, you can read Winnie's story---yes, she's still here and doing great. She sends telepathic Be well thoughts, and I send my prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I am so sorry :cry1 From what I understand, a biopsy is extremely painful and can also compromise the bone, leading to a fracture, which of course, would be devastating. If it were me, I would have xrays of the lungs done...if there are no mets, I would go for amputation (if I felt my dog were a candidate for this...based on age and personality). I would then have the limb sent in for biopsy, and decide further treatment from there. There is no right or wrong way to deal with this...every dog and every owner are different, and only you know how your dog will handle treatment...based on how they do at vet appointments, etc. Best of luck and I hope you have many more painfree and happy days with your baby :hope :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I'm so sorry. There is nothing like the feeling after hearing that news. Depending on the type of OS, and whether it has spread there are options. As Winnie's mom said there are stories here Hope for Hounds to give you hope.

Take things one step at a time, contact Dr Couto, gather your information, make an informed decision. That's all Snickers can ask of you, well that and your love but she already has that.

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest trevdog

I'm so sorry to hear this. Unfortunately age doesn't matter with this disease and it can show up very quickly. Please contact Dr Couto, he usually responds very quickly. Circle of Grey is also very supportive and lots of good info on there. Bone biopsies are very painful, if you already know waht it is I don' think I would put my grey through it. Get xrays to see if it's gone anywhere else, is amputation an option?