Yoshi - Hillbilly Nash

Guest vtgreys

Guest vtgreys

Well, as many of you already know from Health and Medical, Yoshi left us yesterday evening after a short and courageous battle with cancer. It was way too soon after losing Benny almost the same way.

Yoshi had a special story - what I'm quoting below is what I experienced and e-mailed to our board on March 10, 2003:

When I got to work this morning a colleague talked to me in the parking lot about how she had just seen a loose greyhound turn off Main Street (in Waterbury) into the State Office Complex. If you're not familiar with it - there is a big office complex and behind it are wide open fields. I got back into my car and drove around the back of the complex, in hopes of maybe spotting the dog. In about the middle of the complex there is a path going into the open fields, and I saw what possibly looked like a dog quite a ways ahead on the path. I got out of the car and started walking on the path. Meanwhile, a man walking his Airedale had also entered the path - being quite a bit ahead of me. The Airedale saw the greyhound and started running towards it, which luckily slowed things down a bit. The greyhound then continued to run way ahead. After a while I caught up enough to the man to yell to him - I thought for a moment maybe the greyhound was his too and he was walking him off leash - but it turns out it was not his greyhound, nor had he seen it before. With the help of the man, his dog's leash and some treats we managed to get the greyhound to come to us. The man turned out to be the Waterbury Town Clerk's husband and he lent me his leash so I could get the dog back.

He came with me willingly and jumped in the car without a problem. He wore a safety collar - new looking, but no tags. I was able to make out one of his tattoo's pretty clearly - 15E - so I knew his age. He had a couple of cuts on his feet, very long nails on his feet and rotten looking teeth with the breath to match.

When I got back to the office with him I started calling around and was able to get a hold of Joyce. Joyce gave me the names and numbers of a few possible owners in Waterbury. I then called the Humane Society to see if anyone had reported a greyhound missing - none. I called the Waterbury PD, no reports there either. I called the numbers Joyce gave me, and got no answers on a couple of them and then talked to Lorraine Eastman at the 3rd number. It was not her dog, but she happened to have listened to WDEV in the morning and had heard a report of a loose dog in Waterbury on the radio. I called WDEV and got the number for Jan Morse I already had (one of the no answers), as well as her work number. After leaving a message for Jan at both her home and work numbers, she called me back after about 10 minutes.

She explained that she thinks she has a hole in her fence - she let him out this morning, and when she went to call him back in he was out - she saw him and ran after him calling him, but he wouldn't come back. She says she then got in her car to try to follow him but couldn't find him anymore. She then must have called the radio station and gone to work. As far as the tags go, she explained that he lost his collar in the fall and the collar and tags then got eaten by the lawn mower, and she had not gotten around to replace them. I reminded her of her contract and the GRV tags and told her we'd make sure she would get a new tag from us.

She then came to my office to pick up the dog. I showed her where Tanner (previously Doc) had the cuts on his feet and also talked to her about his teeth - she said that her vet had tried to clean them a little, but said he needed to be anesthesized for a full cleaning, but she hadn't done that yet. She then told me that she thinks she needs to find Tanner a new home - she is in the middle of a divorce, has no support from her husband, and has to take care of her 5 year old daughter and feels she cannot devote enough time to the dog. During this she also started to cry. She said she had been mulling this over and thinking about it on and off for the last few months. She would like to keep the dog with her until a new home is found.

I am bothered by a few things here:

1. The dog, while not backing away from her and going home with her willingly enough, did not seem at all excited to see her, in fact he didn't even seem to notice her at first.

2. She used a flexi-lead on the dog.

3. The shape of his teeth and nails indicate that they don't take well enough care of him.

4. I'm concerned about the hole in their fence and whether they will properly patch it before letting him the yard again unsupervised.

5. When I returned the leash to the Town Clerk's office, she of course had been updated by her husband and asked who the dog belonged to. She knows Jan Morse, but seemed surprised - she didn't know they had a dog, and the dog is not licensed by the town.

Based on my slightly uneasy feeling with all this, I did call her veterinarian's office and checked when they were last in and if his shots were up to date - at least that checked out - he was in in October and got his shots updated then.

On a side note, I am almost certain now that this is the same Doc that I almost adopted when I adopted Benny - they were both in the kennel at the same time, and Doc tried very hard to come home with me.

And yes, it was the same Dog = Doc

Godspeed Yoshi - and, as my husband said to him when he left - don't let Benny steal your bed. But I'm sure Benny was waiting for Yoshi to guide him along.

At the same time, my sister-in-law had to send her 20 year old cat, Stormy, to the bridge this morning. I am sure both Benny and Yoshi met her up there and they're all together and cancer and pain free!

Sigrun,

I am so sorry to read that Yoshi had to leave you so soon. When I read your first post earlier yesterday afternoon, I had so hoped you'd have more time together.

I am sure Benny was there to meet Yoshi and show him the ropes.

:f_white

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

My heart is with you...I am so sorry. :( Run free and forevery healthy sweetheart. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am so sorry. :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

thanks for sharing your story of how you became owner to Yoshi (Doc). It was meant to be or you wouldn't have ended up being there that day to find he was in the field. I think maybe Benny needed his best buddy Yoshi. I know they are together having a ball. They are so thankful to have had you. Run free sweet boy with all your buddies.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I am so sorry for your loss. Take comfort in knowing Yoshi is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest argolola

I am crying with you as I read the story of your gorgeous Yoshi. Thank you for giving him love and a wonderful home in his last years. Please take comfort in knowing that you made him very happy. May God bless you and dry your tears...until you meet again.

Wow... Your story was very touching, and your destiny was to be together... Try to think of all the happy times and smile. Im so VERY sorry for your loss and we know and understand how you feel... If you need anything feel free to PM me. You are in my thoughts and prayers, Ill be sending my angels to show him the way....

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

Guest KennelMom

Yoshi was so lucky to have found his way to you. Sounds like he knew from the beginning that his place was in your heart ;) I'm so sorry for your loss :grouphug

:f_red