Are Your Greys Having Medical Problems?

Are your greys currently having medical problems?  

471 members have voted

1. 1. No, no problems whatsoever with my grey(s).

• Yes, one or more is having a minor problem.
    • Yes, one or more is having major problems.
    • Yes, one or more is Special Needs.
    • Multiple dogs, multiple types of problems.
    • Other
  2. 2. Are those problems ongoing or temporary?

• No problems
    • Ongoing
    • Temporary
    • Both (multiple hounds, multiple types of problems)
    • Other

Dixie has a lump on her shoulder. Vet aspirated the lump, he doesn't think it is cancer, he think she has an infection. The aspirate was sent off to the lab. We are hoping it's only an infection :goodluck

Rhett has multiple ongoing problems. He had depo-medrol shots for Lumbosacral Stenosis but they don't seem to have helped. We think the vet got the needle where it needed to be. Roy doesn't think he really is in pain, but we picked up some of the pain pills mentioned in Dr. Stack's article on LS. We will try those for a few days. At lunch time at work I started checking out this board and now I am wondering if he might have Degenerative Myelopathy. In addition to his back problems, Rhett also has Larangeal Paralysis so we are trying to keep him calm, cool and collected. This is hard because his brain has not caught up with his body. He will be 13 in less than 4 months but he still thinks that he is 2 :lol:

Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm considering adopting a Greyhound, and all this medical talk is scaring me. :(

Hi Lindsay :) You have to remember that you're reading a forum which people tend to read and respond within when their greyhounds have an issue of some sort. There are many hundreds and hundreds of others here who don't have any problems at all and to be honest, I suspect that it would be exactly the same on ANY dog forum for any breed or mixed breed.

I have 11 dogs - 4 of whom are greyhounds. Stanley (aged 10.5) has a thyroid issue and arthritis. Flo has a bit of urine leakage now and again (she's 13) and Sally has some weakness in her back/rear end which crops up now and again (she's 12). Wallace doesn't have any ongoing issues (he's 8). One of my Deerhounds has had head tremors and a couple of the mutts have some early arthritis stuff going on. It's honestly not breed related - it's just dogs (like humans I suppose!).

Pet insurance is always worthy of consideration when you take on your next dog :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• 11 months later...
Trudy has an allergy of some kind that the vet cant' seem to figure out. Grass allergy probably, but she seems to cope with it just fine. She does lick her feet constantly it seems and makes them raw and red. No pain however. Any suggestions?

You can try washing off her feet every time she comes inside. Use a mild betadine solution (may stain if feet are not completely dried) or something like baking soda or epsom salts dissolved in water. Any kind of antiseptic foot wash would work also.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Trudy has an allergy of some kind that the vet cant' seem to figure out. Grass allergy probably, but she seems to cope with it just fine. She does lick her feet constantly it seems and makes them raw and red. No pain however. Any suggestions?

You can try washing off her feet every time she comes inside. Use a mild betadine solution (may stain if feet are not completely dried) or something like baking soda or epsom salts dissolved in water. Any kind of antiseptic foot wash would work also.

Good advice!

Don't rule out the less obvious, tho. Batman's *only* sign of food allergy (to fish and fish oil) was red, itchy feet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytexplorer

<sigh> Mandy and her persistent uti which is occasionally accompanied with peeing in the carpeted parts of the house :(

Ester, on the other hand, is fine.

Nadia has been diagnosed (by a vetrenary cardiologist) with dilated cardiomyopathy and an irregular heart beat. She's on medication (Enalapril, digoxin and diltiazem) which seems to be controlling things fairly well. Honey and Kara are (he said crossing all paired crossable appendages) in good health. All three are eight. Nadia was diagnosed at age 5.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I voted other too.

Chloe is hyporthyroid but you would never know it now. Beau HAD the leg issue but that was an accident. Teddy and Polli, knock wood are OK today!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greytmonty

I voted Major.

Although Monty's problems are not life threatening, thank G-d, we have spent THOUSANDS of dollars on his care, and he is truly suffering from his problems.

He has MAJOR environmental allergies, and maybe food, and maybe flea, and he is on many meds, shots, now has iatrogenic Cushings,etc.

this is a lifetime problem and he is only 3 1/2.

Luckily he now has a great derm vet so I hope he will be WELL and manage with this over his lifetime.

Guest SYMBASMOMMY

Knock on wood...nothing serious with Symba....just a bout of IBD which I now control through diet...thank DoG and his reoccuring "corn".....but his Nike Bootie (Therapaw) helps a ton...other than that......he is HEALTHY and HAPPY!

Guest IrskasMom

My Morty just has Eating Issues ( never eats on a regular Basis ) and it worries me. He also has here

and there an Issue with his Neck ( I belief ,the Vet doesn't know ) but otherwise he is a healthy Pupper .

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest Andyhound

Touch wood, Andy (aged 3, retired racer) is a gorgeous healthy boy who runs like a fool. Our princess Booty, aged 7 is a retired and rescued brood bitch from a rather unsavoury breeder. She is in excellent health also. Both of them have gleaming coats, bright brown eyes and understand the importance of plenty of quality sleep. Other than checkups and vaccinations, visits to the vet have been due to bumps and scrapes, although all these have been minor. Their health was one of the key attractions. I would never adopt any other sort of purebred dog as they are so prone to such a horrible variety of diseases. I have a friend who is a vet nurse and she casually tells stories that make my hair stand on end. Sadly, I believe the veterinary industry does very well out of these issues.

Tipper has diabetes. I give her insulin shots twice a day. The other 2 greys and my mix breed are healthy.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

• 4 years later...

I wasn't sure how to answer, not sure if my hound HAD or HAS a problem. Beth got pancreatic inflammation a year ago just under the acute pancreatitis level which we brought down successfully -- she hasn't had any recurrent issue with it BUT I am ongoingly careful about this as a potential issue that could recur and she's on prescription food (she wouldn't have to be, but she's done so well on it we've stuck with it).

She tends to get sebaceous cysts (going to the vet to have one removed today) but that's hardly a major medical issue. Had to have a weight-bearing toe amputated last spring too after an injury and I worry about her foot but that's not what you're after really -- basically she is fine with it.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest GreyKatie

Nite gets corns. We keep getting them hulled at OSU, but he is still very painful on his feet. He won't walk outside without boots anymore :( He's only 6!

Revived threads are good - means people are searching and not making up countless others! :) This is a good one.

I voted minor and ongoing for both pups:

1. Kasey has allergies (which are minor NOW - but when going through the hoops of being diagnosed was major at the time), and now also has acid reflux. Ongoing treatment in the form of prednisone and acid controller (Pepcid, Slippery Elm etc.).

2. Ryder has off and on limping issues after hurting his leg which are under control (minor NOW). Ongoing treatment in the form of Green Lipped Mussel supplement added to food.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015