Are Your Greys Having Medical Problems?

Are your greys currently having medical problems?  

471 members have voted

1. 1. No, no problems whatsoever with my grey(s).

• Yes, one or more is having a minor problem.
    • Yes, one or more is having major problems.
    • Yes, one or more is Special Needs.
    • Multiple dogs, multiple types of problems.
    • Other
  2. 2. Are those problems ongoing or temporary?

• No problems
    • Ongoing
    • Temporary
    • Both (multiple hounds, multiple types of problems)
    • Other

Nearly 7-year-old girl: Unspayed (but we're fixing that next week), allergies (to airborne stuff, no known food problems, takes benadryl daily), corns, and an old race injury. Nothing scary.

Nearly 12-year-old boy: Cancer, slightly herniated disc, spinal arthritis, hypothyroid. All are on-going, but he's hanging in there (with meds): coughs some, but does zoomies in the living room and eats like a horse.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with an old good thread.

Two of three Greys with major and terminal diseases: Osteo and congestive heart failure.

That is a very sucky average considering the two that are ill are our first two Greys and only 8 and 9 years old. Not happy about it and due to medical costs, it really does make a hard decision that we will never have more than two in the future. I wouldn't trade my two boys for anything though. Our third, a soon to be 13yr old girl just keeps on trucking and we adopted her at 11. She has the typical old age issues, weak back-end but I don't consider that a true medical issue.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Bella has Osteo.

Amadues passed at 14 but he had a few dental things that saved his life by having his teeth extraced.

Sheila
Loved by

Mozart, Sherri, Xavier, McCleary, Tigger. Amelia and 2 Salukis Poppy and Zarah

Guest kellygreyhound

Just agreeing with the initial post--most of the people visiting the H & M discussion have questions about a health issue, so of course the poll is biased. My girl had a stroke at four which she fully recovered from, has had irritable bowel issues that were resolved with acupunture and dietary changes, and now has osteo, but I wouldn't trade her sweet, crazy, diva self for anything in the world :rolleyes: It does seem that osteo is a big risk for a lot of greys--and it can be expensive (amputation, and more if you have complications :/)--but all dogs are at risk of cancer and a whole host of other problems as they age. Wouldn't discourage me from adopting another grey!

Guest Tiptons_Mom

Duncan was recently treated for Babesiosis, we need to wait a while to repeat the tests to decide if he is completely cured or just under control and is now dealing with Roundworms which is temporary.

Tipton was just diagnosed with Pannus so we are starting the process of determining the best course of treatment for him (mostly which meds). This will be a life long treatment as this can only be controlled, but not cured.

You would never know that either of them had any issues though.

I voted other, too. Both are hypothyroid, which isn't really a big deal. Carl has an eye issue because of his thyroid, but it is slowly improving. Claire just had a dental and lost four teeth. She is going to feel a lot better once she heals up.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

• 1 month later...

Voted 'other'.

Three hounds .... all doing greyt.

:)

Well, except for Rubys ear, which she some how tore a flap of skin off of a couple of weeks ago. :(

And Nixon's side, which Nigel took a small chunk out of last weekend. :o

Neither required any veterinary treatments. :P

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest goofydog

Get Em turned 10 on 04/18/12 and has some minor and a couple of major issues. All ongoing.

*Underlying toxoplasmosis (lost and eye to this). The vector was ingesting feral kitty poop. Yearly eye exams, or interval visits if I see any changes. Daily pred-acetetate drops to keep the remaining eye in check.

*One badly dislocated toe that had to be amputated then he sprung the remaining weight bearing toe on that paw. It pretty much sits sideways and he has issues on soft footing.

*Several fatty lipomas that the vet and I keep a close watch on.

*Hemangiosarcoma removed from his chest several years ago and hasn't returned thank God.

*Ruptured salivary gland that causes saliva to pool in a pouch under his chin. After aspirating it 4-5 times his regular vet has referred us to a Board certified surgeon that we will see this coming Wednesday. In hope of being to have another surgery, one that can isolate the gland and create a stoma.

*Hemangiopericytoma on his right shoulder. Fast appearing and grew quickly. Vet attempted to remove it, but it was anchored in muscle and she didn't get clean margins. Without clean margins chances are it will recur sometime down the road. If/when it does there's only a 25% chance of mets and 118 week median survival period.

Sweetest, most gentle boy without any major issues. Loves all other animals, large of small. Will let anyone, hound or human, take his food or treats. I don't have a fenced yard and if his energy level goes up between visits to the dog park he will do 8-10 reps up and down the stairs at a high rate of speed then pass out for several hours :lol

And the reason my screen name is goofydog :wub:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest NHgreys

10 year old Joy had a persistent UTI/kidney infection this winter into spring with many rounds of antibiotics. Lost about 10 lbs due to loss of appetite. Now she is dropping her red blood count (23% at its lowest) and is doing multiple rounds of prednisone. Vet isn't sure what is causing this.

And poor Red had her tail shut in a door on Mother's day,some mother I am, and had to have the end of her tail amped ;(

Guest mbfilby

Myka must be on grain free. She is perfectly fine so long as she stays on her food and dosen't "get into anything". Unfortunately she is also a master theif and champion counter surfer. :(

• 5 weeks later...

Beau -currently 8. Diagnosed with severe IBD when 5, LS Recently diagnosed. Has hip issues and if he was not a greyhound would call it hip dysplaisa. Beau, God bless him, will all his issues is a love.(restarting acupuncture)

Chloe-8- hypothyroid (diagnosed at 2)

Teddy-8.5 hypothroid (diagnosed at 6.5), disk issues which immobilize him from time to time. We have treated with acupuncture in the past.

Elsie- 13 - survived breast cancer at 10. Currently dealing with LS. Getting depo, adequin, acupucture and tramadol if and when necessary.

Ollie- 5.5- suffered a career ending broken right hock. It acts up from time to time. Food allergies chicken, grains. (reason we started raw at our home for several)

POnch - slightly crazy!!! But we love him anyway ;)

We have Always had Heath issues to deal with.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest SueG201

I took my13.5 yr old greyhound to a vet 2 wks ago, bloodwork shows a 0.05 thyroid level, and she has lost 10 lbs in a year, her back end is getting very weak but she keeps on g oing. She is now on Rimadyl and I will be putting her on thyroid meds this week

• 1 year later...

I didn't change my earlier vote, but all's well just now. (Knock wood.) Silver (fka Silver Hornet), who'll be 9 next May, has occasional back pain, has a permanent corn and a gimpy back leg, all of which she ignores (unless she wants sympathy and cuddles). She keeps the newest boy in check.

Clem (fka Flying Clemenza), adopted last month after 11 weeks of fostering, will be 7 this April. May have occasional back pain--unless he just periodically yelps for attention. Notorious for hauling on the leash as hard as he can, then yelping and turning an accusatory eye on me because, you know, I was supposed to let him pull me down the 15-foot drop and into the creek.

I lost my first two girls unexpectedly. Both were 8 years old. I'm relying on Silver to break that curse. And I lost my old man this summer at 13 years.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

2 greys 2 sets of health issues

annie's eyes are her weak spot- panus and now lipid deposits

felix's bladder/kidneys....urinary incontience,an some strange stuff...signs of DI which responded to a couple of treatments of vasopressin tannate...and then disappeared??

more cuts and lacerations than any other breed that i have owned- lacerations down to the bone & tendons, skinned pasterns, rips and tears while running and just scraping a branch, sand burns at the beach. also sprained legs/pasterns. and i have owned other sight hounds who ran at the beach, swam the delaware river and ran along the shore for miles with out any problems!

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest goofydog

Just found last night that the hemangiopericytoma has returned on his right shoulder :weep I knew it was a possibility but only 25% damnit. He'll be at the vet on Monday for a consult and surgery decision. These things grow so fast I won't be surprised if it has doubled in size by then. Prayers would be greatly appreciated.

One beautiful dog (Zoe), One nasty set of teeth.. Healthy otherwise and with no issues. I put minor and ongoing.

Originally the teeth were cleaned and 4 extracted. This cured the problem---for awhile. Now the very yellow teeth and really red gums are creeping back.

Right now this is minor. If left it will not be.

I predict vet visits for dental cleanings real soon. This looks to be an ongoing practice; especially if I want to keep Zoe healthy.

So yes, I guess my answer is minor health issue but ongoing.

• 1 month later...
Guest astritle

Marco (almost 6 years old) has a couple of problems: a corn on one foot (currently has moleskin + therapaw and bag balm therapy going...the moleskin is helping to bring the corn out similar to the duct tape but also provides more padding). He's still getting used to the boot, but was actually running around and jumping earlier today vs his usual limp and holding his injured paw up without them :( . So glad to see him more mobile. :wub: His second problem is his mouth! He has pretty bad periodontal disease (present before we adopted him). He's completed a week of antibiotics recently. I brush daily and do a mouth spray twice a day. He also gets a dental chew daily and today discovered his bully stick and worked on it for 45 minutes! We go back to the vet on Saturday to check on the paw and teeth but I feel like he's making progress on both fronts. :yay

Edited by astritle