Secret Santa

Trudy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is GT also taking up the Christmas Card exchange or does someone need to head that up?

1645760[/snapback]

I was only insane enough to decide to do the secret santa again.. I've not lost my mind enough to also do a Christmas Card exchange. I hear breathing during the holidays is a good thing :lol

So no, I am not planning on organizing the Christmas Card exchange.

One suggestion......can there be a limit on just how many greys can be on one ticket? It is hard to find anything for six, seven or more greys so they each get something and still not go over the suggested amount by much. If you can do it greyt, but you usually end up having to get something really cheap and then feel bad when your pups get something really nice, you feel like you have cheated your receivers.

Despite all the safeguards there will probably still be some people who don't get their packages. Would it be possible to set up a little Paypal slush fund where people who were so inclined could kick in a few bucks to make sure that people who don't get packages do eventually get something? Or perhaps people that make and/or sell stuff could pledge to donate items so that no one who signs up gets left out. Personally, I would happy to offer some neckwear (for the pooches) and bracelets (for the humans) to add to such packages. :)

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Is GT also taking up the Christmas Card exchange or does someone need to head that up?

1645760[/snapback]

I was only insane enough to decide to do the secret santa again.. I've not lost my mind enough to also do a Christmas Card exchange. I hear breathing during the holidays is a good thing :lol

So no, I am not planning on organizing the Christmas Card exchange.

1645820[/snapback]

:rofl :rofl Coward! :rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

One suggestion......can there be a limit on just how many greys can be on one ticket?  It is hard to find anything for six, seven or more greys so they each get something and still not go over the suggested amount by much.  If you can do it greyt, but you usually end up having to get something really cheap and then feel bad when your pups get something really nice, you feel like you have cheated your receivers.

1645842[/snapback]

Can I reply to this from a (very) multi dog persons point of view?

I've participated in every SS since whichever year I joined (feels like decades ago :lol) and I always have on my 'ticket' ALL my dogs names (thats 11 of them). They are not all greyhounds (four of them are this year). I have never ever ever expected a 'thing' in the package for each dog. The package arrives and whatever is in there is shared. We have always had really really lovely items in our packages (I'm currently drinking my coffee from a greyhound mug that arrived for me in the first years SS package) and the dogs have always enjoyed whichever toys or treats or other goodies made their way to our door.

I'm just making the point that not everyone feels it necessary for every dog in their house to get their own specific gifts. We're just happy to participate and get giddy with excitement at both the planning our package to send and the receipt of the package that arrives from overseas.

:)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

As Bev said, the recipient of a multi dog household can not realistically expect an individual gift for each pet for $20. If I had 6 dogs in the house, I’d be very happy with a gift certificate form Chili’s so I could get away from them all, and maybe some treats to keep them busy while I was gone :lol

large.greyhound_signature.gif

On that note, what I do is ask for Burpdogs or Trudy's treats. And that is what I send.

All this talk about overseas and the cost of postage has made me think (yeah, I know, scary :eek ) that gift certificates are an option. It maybe not be as personal as you wish, but I would be happy to receive a GC to PetsMart from an overseas giver. :) And if I had an overseas givee I would find a place they like to shop or eat or a pet chain near where they live and send a GC. :)

And of course you can always get a GC from ebay and let the person have fun on ebay. B)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I'm so exciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiteddddddddd.

Ahem.

What I wanted to add was that personally, I always ask to be 'matched' with someone from overseas, simply because part of the appeal (for me) is to be able to send and receive items that are probably not readily available here/there. It's great to be able to send my recipient typically british stuff (or a different type of toy/treat thats not on sale in US shops) and visa versa.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest clousehounds

WOOHOO

Sounds like fun. I have never done this, and it looks like a nightmare to organize, but COUNT me and my pupper in!

Anyone want to share some of the great SS gifts you have received (says the newbie looking for ideas...)

-Sheryl n Kyra the Lovehound

Are we taking names yet, I love SS.

One thing Trudy, last year I had a recipient in Australia and their customs totally fubared my gift, took 3/4 of it out, even though I couldn't find where it contravened any rules, so perhaps for those shipping off continent (especially to Aus) a reminder to look into what is/isn't allowed. Some of the items they removed were things that are actually for sale there :dunno

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

I think (but what do I know :lol ) that Trudy was just looking for suggestions right now and the actual Secret Santa sign up and process will likely be a thread of its own at a later date.

maxspeed don't be nervous, we are a nice bunch, mostly :colgate

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

The secret santa sign-up will be released in early October. It's ready to go, but allows us to fine tune things a bit before and well, it is SEPTEMBER, too early for Christmas :lol

What is Secret Santa - it is a gift exchange between board members. You sign up and say you would like to be included (once, twice, however many times you would like). In turn, you receive the name of a member and their pet(s) (or multiple members if you sign up more than once) and their mailing address. You do some shopping for gifts (we are using a $20 package limit this year plus your shipping costs) to send to the human and/or pets.

And the person that received your name does the same and sends a package to you as well :)

Guest cruzNhounds
maybe something like

list pets receiving for THIS single entry only

1644245[/snapback]

OR matching up with # of dogs...I have three and would like to be matched with the same?

Guest cruzNhounds
I'm a newbie (only replied to a post once because I'm nervous!).  Would you please explain the secret santa program to me?

1646629[/snapback]

silly willy :):grouphug

maybe something like

list pets receiving for THIS single entry only

1644245[/snapback]

OR matching up with # of dogs...I have three and would like to be matched with the same?

1646670[/snapback]

That would involve a lot more planning and quite possibly, leave people out that may wish to participate.

If 2 people have 5 dogs... do they buy a $20 gift for each of the five dogs... spending $100? Or do they buy a gift for the family of dogs to share spending only $20.

If we go with the you buy a gift for each dog at $20 each... this assumes that people with 5 dogs want to be entered 5 times. Maybe they can only afford to send out one gift or maybe they just want to be entered in to the exchange 2x.

The rules for that would be far more strict and I think it would leave people out that may otherwise wish to participate

In the ticket system there will be a line to enter the pet(s) you are entering for that ticket. The person getting your name with those pets listed will shop for you/the pets listed... be it one or be it 5

Secretly hoping I get Bevd this year.....

1646684[/snapback]

Why? Are you a glutton for punishment?? :o:lol:lol:lol