Secret Santa

Trudy

Ok, we are getting ready to get things put together for Secret Santa (will not start collecting names and stuff until October).

But, before we do so, I'd like to hear what you think would make it easier to sign up or be a participant

We will likely do this through the GT ticket system... (Secret Santa Ticket)

- you will submit a ticket for each time you wish to enter (see NOTE below)

- we will ask if you are willing to send overseas/another country (yes/no/doesn't matter)

- we will gather your user name, real name, and address - this info will ONLY go to the person you will have as a secret santa

- we will create a Secret Santa Forum and allow guest posting, so if you have a question for your person, you can post as a guest to get the answers

- money limit... I'd like to hear your suggestions, but I'm thinking maybe $20 plus shipping or maybe $25 and that would include shipping - but again, I would like to hear suggestions before deciding this (you can always go over if you wish and can afford to, but we don't want to set the limit too high so that we can get as many people able to join in as possible)

- what do people think about REQUIRING a confirmation (when you go to the PO to send the package, you tell them you want a receipt conf - or UPS or FedEx or whoever)

NOTE -

submit once per time you wish to enter....

If you have 5 dogs and want to enter ONCE, submit ONE ticket and let us know it is for 5 dogs.

If you have 5 dogs and want to enter FIVE times, submit FIVE tickets and you can say it is for 5 dogs each time, or you can list what dog it is for each time (so you enter once for each dog, or you enter 5 times each for all 5 dogs) - if you enter with one dogs name (and you have more than one), the person that gets your name (and dog's name) will be shopping just for that dog/human combination

If you have 5 dogs and want to enter TWO times, submit TWO tickets and either say it is for all 5 dogs on each ticket or list the 2 dogs participating or break it up how ever you want

Is this confusing? Is there a way we can make it less confusing?

Any suggestions?

Again, we should have something ready to go sometime in October. Names will go out by the end of November (earlier for those shipping overseas)

:xmas:xmas:xmas:xmas:xmas

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOTE -

submit once per time you wish to enter....

If you have 5 dogs and want to enter ONCE, submit ONE ticket and let us know it is for 5 dogs.

If you have 5 dogs and want to enter FIVE times, submit FIVE tickets and you can say it is for 5 dogs each time, or you can list what dog it is for each time (so you enter once for each dog, or you enter 5 times each for all 5 dogs) - if you enter with one dogs name (and you have more than one), the person that gets your name (and dog's name) will be shopping just for that dog/human combination

If you have 5 dogs and want to enter TWO times, submit TWO tickets and either say it is for all 5 dogs on each ticket or list the 2 dogs participating or break it up how ever you want

Is this confusing? Is there a way we can make it less confusing?

yes, very confusing, help us word that better...

that is where we have the most problems...

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Submit a ticket indicating the name(s) of the dog(s) the gift is for.

Submit as many tickets as you'd like. One ticket, give and receive one gift, two tickets - give and receive two gifts.

I think $20.00 plus shipping is great. I managed just fine with that.

Problem I see is here postage is expensive. I spent close to $15.00 each on two parcels. That is fine. If I have to have a receipt that states that parcel is going ___? The cost doubles. I see that being a barrier to participation. I could get someone to take my photo handing my parcel with the address marked on it to the sales clerk. :lol

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Mommydog
maybe something like

list pets receiving for THIS single entry only

1644245[/snapback]

Yes, that sounds better :) I think $20-25 is about right. I don't know about the US, but the shipping costs in the UK were awful last year, I paid more than half of the cost of the prezzie to ship to Canada. Then if you can afford and want to spend more you can do. I'm looking forward to it again anyway :)

Guest BRYCESMOM

$25.00 is a good amount...the postage outside of the U.S. is High so I think that would have to be in addition to the $25.00 in that case...but a returned receipt is nice, so you know it got there...however if you us UPS you can track it on the web site....also enter as many times as you want to buy and ship....guess it would depend on your resources...applying for a ticket and giving info as to who and how many you have to buy for seems to work.. please keep us posted.

For those not in the US... how much is a receipt conf in your country?

I know with the US - UPS and FedEx - you will know when the package has arrived to its destination

With the post office, the receipt conf thing is only $0.70 (I think)

Another option is we could ask that you respond to your ticket once you have mailed your package - relies on the honor system :)

Guest Mommydog

In the UK, you receive a receipt i.e. proof of postage free of charge. There is also registered post and recorded delivery. Not sure how much they both are, but I believe recorded delivery within the UK at any rate is relatively cheap, at least it was last time I used it. Registered however is quite substantially dearer.

Guest greymouse

How close to the end of November are you planning to send out the names? Some people may want to have things ready and mailed by then especially if it is a present that is for the Christmas "season", like Christmas collars, ornaments, goodies, etc., that you want the recipient to be able to enjoy for several weeks before Christmas. I am one of those that needs the inspiration of knowing who the present is for before I decide on what the present should be. :rolleyes: Not sure about participating, but wanted to know, just in case :)

Last time I maled a package - bubble envelope to US it cost $1.55 I asked that it be sent so I would know it arrived - $12.00 amazing difference. A parcel would be much more. I always let people know when I receive a parcel and have had others do the same in return.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest frosti220

I organized Secret Bunny and Xmas in July, and I have to say, MOST people are really really good with sending their gifts out on time if not early. I really don't think requiring a confirmation will make that much of a difference, regardless of how much it's going to cost. I mean, requiring a confirmation isn't going to make the late gift-senders send their gifts early. But I think a place for people to post after they've sent the package, and when they receive the package would be really really useful.

Assuming it takes a week for a package to get to its destination, and 2 weeks for shopping (allowing for online shopping/shipping, etc), if the names go out right after Thanksgiving, that should give everybody enough time.

I can't wait!! :) :)

For those shipping overseas/other countries, names will go out Mid November so that they have time to use the cheap mailing by boat/snail/squished bug method instead of having to use the more expensive air mail option.

Rest of the names would go out the last week of November

We will have an entry deadline, but like I think we have all done as organizers in the past, will take late entries up to a certain point as long as we get enough late entry people to sign up - it just means that you will need to do your shopping and shipping quickly.

And as always, if you have issues getting something out on time, you can post to let the person know - but we will also want to know as well so that we can make sure your person KNOWS their gift will be late.

Guest mleg2001

For those in Canada it might be cheaper to just get insurance on the parcel, you would be provided with a reciept for the insurance that has the recipient's and your name written on it, so can act as proof that you sent your parcel, but make sure to tick off that it is a gift, if it gets lost your not out the money and can replace the gift. I know small packet air mail includes insurance(and it almost the same cost as surface + insurance, so check out the different shipping options and find out what is included) if you are sending surface from Canada allow for upto 3 weeks to the US, Canadian residents it can be cheaper for postage to have a name in the US than out of province ,

since you have to pay GST and fuel surcharge taxes ontop of the postage amount it can cost me up to $2 more for postage to ship a couple collars to BC or the east coast than it does to anywhere in the US.

Delivery confirmation in the States is .45 and worth the money :)

One of the biggest confusions in the past has been the limit vs the number of dogs in the household. The ticket idea is good--one gift per ticket no matter how many dogs. That means if you want each of your guys to get a gift, you have to sign up that many times (for me it would be 6).

Can't wait :yay

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Delivery confirmation is not available for anything that is not sent priority mail or something higher. (At least in my experience) I know in the past when I've sold books, I could send my book for $1.55 but if I wanted delivery confirmation, I had to ship priority $4+ plsu the additional fee for delivery confirmation.

To me, if we're getting out names in time so people don't HAVE to ship priority, we shouldn't in turn be forcing them to ship that way just to have delivery confirmation. It can triple the cost of shipping and on some of those gifts, that would make a HUGE cost difference.

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

One ticket = one gift, that will make it much easier. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

In the UK, you receive a receipt i.e. proof of postage free of charge. There is also registered post and recorded delivery. Not sure how much they both are, but I believe recorded delivery within the UK at any rate is relatively cheap, at least it was last time I used it. Registered however is quite substantially dearer.

1644302[/snapback]

Once you go out of the UK the royal mail cannot/won't track it for you and send receipt you have to get a special delivery or courrier and that costs megabucks

For those shipping overseas/other countries, names will go out Mid November so that they have time to use the cheap mailing by boat/snail/squished bug method instead of having to use the more expensive air mail option.

1644352[/snapback]

Ive just checked the royal mail's website for last posting dates for surface mail from the UK.

last posting date is Friday 28th October! this is for Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore,

South Africa and the USA.

or Monday 3rd October for All non-European destinations except Canada, Far East, Middle East, Hong Kong, South Africa and the USA.

Airmail is 12th December.

Remember UK GT'ers keep the weight to under 2Kg and it goes as a small packet and is much much cheaper (although they are looking at changing it to also take the size of box into account but I dont have details on that yet).

anyway $20 - $25 sounds about right

dont forget to include a section for 'other info' such as alergies or "Please no noisy toys" etc :lol

We are in and while I have lots of ideas I have not started shopping just yet :D

I've not participated in a secret santa swap yet, but the late November start is right when the Chrismas season gets really hectic. Having the info in early November would make it a lot easier, especially if you are someone who likes to get their shopping done early without the Christmas rush.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

I would love to participate in SS this year but am not going to, my pups dident recieve last year even though we sent out...thats the downside of SS :(

Its a great idea when it all works out right :)

Guest Sportingfields

In the US, you can do .45 delivery confirmation on both priority mail & parcel post. You can not use it on first class mail. For overseas shipping, you can use Global priority but it has a 4 pound weight limit on the 9x11 tyvac envelopes. Cost depends on weight & destination. I can send a 1# envelope to Canada for 7.00 and the same package costs 9.00 to UK. Also, be sure to fill customs slips out with your name not your business name and write gift with a low value & don't hedge on the contents, if customs opens it they aren't going to be happy to find 8 items & you've listed 2. Be very careful sending any kind of food & treats overseas, each country has restrictions on what is allowed to come in. For instance Australia won't allow any beef or beef products to come in. You are better off sending a necklace or collar or toys than treats. Hope this helps someone.

Edited to add: when you fill out customs slips use universal words that can easily be translated into any language. Dog Coat, dog collar, dog toy ect DO NOT write greyt jammies, dubbies, necklace, kong, squeakies and such words like that, it will send up red flags & you can be assured your package will be opened.

Edited by CottageHoundDesigns

I would love to participate in SS this year but am not going to, my pups dident recieve last year even though we sent out...thats the downside of SS :(

This is why we want to do some sort of delivery conf type of thing.

The US you can get delivery confirmation for priority down to parcel post (not sure about media mail) - the cost looked to be $0.45 for priority, $0.55 for first class, and $0.55 for parcel post - for all weights - looks to be cheaper if you get your postage online

But it looks like Canadian post, delivery conf isn't available when sending out of the country unless you use air mail - then it is already more expensive to send

Again, you will have the option to say you don't want to send to somebody out of your country so you can avoid the higher postage... or before you go shopping for somebody in another country, check out the postage options you have to send with and see what the costs will be for light stuff and heavy stuff.

For most people, this wouldn't be necessary, but people in the past have not received their gifts. We just want to come up with a system that will prevent that as much as possible.

dont forget to include a section for 'other info' such as alergies or "Please no noisy toys" etc :lol

Something like that is planned, as well as a "for whatever reason, please do not match me with xxx" option...

That will be a one single member choice only.

large.greyhound_signature.gif