Peepaw Passed Thru The Rainbow Bridge

Guest Heehoo

Guest Snowy8

As some of you might remember, my dad was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year...some kind of lung cancer. At first they said it was slow, then it was aggressive...because of his age 86, he opted to NOT do chemo.

About a month ago, he started having chest pains & hallucinating...his potassium was not level & they admitted him to "extended care" at the hospital university. On the 2nd night he was there, I almost lost him. His lungs filled up with fluid & his blood pressure spiked. Luckily because he was in the hospital, they were able to level him out & he was fine.

He got to the point where he was walking in the halls & doing well, almost enough that the doctors who had told us he would not make it to the end of the month, said he could go home.

This passed week however, he became worse. He lost his present memory, thought my mom was still alive (she died in June 2004) and that we still had horses. He knew who we all were, but not what day or year it was & he thought he was still living in the little house that my mom & he had bought over 50 yrs ago.

My dad was the one who introduced me to greyhounds. I'm sure some of ya'll will remember my story about when we would go to put flowers on my mom's father's grave in Mariana Arkansas, that we passed Southland...we'd stop for gas before going back to Memphis & there would always be a dog hauler there at the gas station.

Turned out also, that my dad as a young boy, not old enough to bet...went to Southland, which tells you how old that track is...although the one we know now is not the same original track...the original one burned down.

He loved my first greyhound, Sadie-Grey...she would stand next to his chair for him to pet her & he loved the feel of her soft fur. He loved her eyes....and she loved her Peepaw. Snowy was his next favorite...she tried to climb in his lap the first time I took her to see him...he called her Whitey.

My dad taught me a lot about life, about being honest & about believing that God will take care of me. He showed me how to change the oil in my car, how to respect other people's property & how to use common sense over book sense. He taught me to appreciate reading, and listening to what the other person has to say. About making another person feel like they are the most important person in my life.

The nurses told me yesterday that no matter how bad he felt, he always smiled at them when they came in the room. When they found him sitting on the floor, where he snuck out of the bed one morning, he was smiling as if he'd been caught doing something he shouldn't have.

I will miss my daddy... but I know for sure that he is with God & the angels & my mom.

I love you Peepaw. :f_red:gh_lay

I am sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Guest BellaDonna1

I am so sorry Hilda. Sending prayers and thank you for coming today. It was so good to see you and I wanted to do more but I know there is not much I can do, Love you girl.............jan

Your daddy sounds wonderful. Having so many wonderful memories will help you get through this awful time. f_yellowf_yellowf_yellow

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest argolola

What a sweet and loving man. He and your mom are probably strolling hand in hand right now, with a bunch of greyhounds following them.

God bless you Hilda. May God carry you through this sad time.

I am so sorry for your loss. Words cannot do justice at a time like this. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :candle:hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Your dad is a special man indeed to inspire so fine a tribute. I'm sorry he's gone from your life now. May his smiles and his lessons stay with you forever.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DoofBert

Sorry to learn of your loss. Any man with the name "PeePaw" must have been one in million!

Remember all the happy times.

:bighug

What a beautiful and loving tribute to your father. My heart grieves for your loss. :grouphug May the memories of the loving times you had with your father keep him close to you in the future.

Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

What a wonderful tribute to a very special man...I'm so sorry for your loss :f_white

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I am so sorry. Sending prayers and sympathy...I know how hard it is to lose your parents. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :grouphugf_yellow:grouphug

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest how888

Hilda,I was so sorry to hear about your dad as I knew you were doing your best with him.What a wonderful tribute to him and I know he and your mom are holding hands watching down at you on this beautiful day thinking of what a wonderful,thoughtful daughter they have.May God Bless you at this time.May all of your memories bring you comfort and pm me any time day or night.You always make my day Hilda now I hope I can do the same in return.You will get a sign,I know.We're all here for you day and night to get you through this. Hugs, Linda My dad passed over several years ago and I still feel him around me at times.I grieve with you my friend. :grouphug:grouphug:f_red

Edited by how888

Guest Greymom

I am so very sorry for the loss of your father. Sending prayers and hugs to help you through this very difficult time. Take comfort in all of the wonderful memories you have.

:grouphug:f_white