• once/month or less
    • 2-3x/month
    • once/week
    • a couple times/week
    • about every other day
    • about once/day
    • about twice/day
    • more than twice/day
    • multiple dogs have VERY different barking habits (if close then average them and chose an answer above).

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, Moose barks in only two situations:

1. Sometimes when he wants us to get up in the morning and feed him.

2. Sometimes at cats, or at very small dogs being held or held back by their owners, thereby making them unavailable for sniffing.

My greys bark several times per day as they bark at all the people or dogs

passing by our house...

:gh_run2:gh_run2

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest ReleaseTheHounds

Even when one of the number is zero, the average still came to >2/day!

Kelly barks at strangers who get too near the house. Mostly she barks at Thorulf, as a warning to stay away or to elicit plan. Sometimes she "roos" at us when she thinks she's not getting enough attention, or barks if we're slow getting out of bed.

Thorulf has, to my knowledge, never barked.

Don

Guest lisaluvsgreys

Bobbie barks when she wants someone to pet her, or if a stranger comes into the house unattended. Flashie barks on command. He loves to talk! He is such a cutie!

Sonny barks...at us when we come home, when the doorbell rings, when a doorbell rings on TV, when he sees/hears the mail truck, at squirrels, at Carmella, and just generally while he's in the backyard. :blink:

Carmella barks if there is a squirrel on the power line in the backyard, that gets her excited...other than that she really doesn't bark. :dunno

Sonny whines a lot too, and they both roo when they *think* we've left, whether or not we have.

Angel Sonny aka Whistlin Bill, 62314; Carmella aka Eg Rain Dust, 81693

Plus Boudreaux, Calzone & Hops the cats, Katie & Tony the humans and our Terrific Skinkids Tommy and Jimmy

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars...Oscar Wilde

Our 4 hounds are pretty quiet over all. I chose once a week as that was the closest answer to what actually occurs. Hayley is the watchdog but only bark when she plays, something is out of the ordinary or startles her or the doorbell rings. If she starts the others will follow suit, except for Trace. Willow barks when she plays or when she is demanding I let her join me on the sofa (and stamps her feet too...it's so cute). Trace barked non-stop in the crate for 3 months when we were fostering him. I never thought he would stop barking but he did. Now he barely makes a peep.

Ginger and Brannigan (Bridge Kids) never barked.

tn_greyhound002.gif

Willow & Trace

Butch (11/94 - 7/16/08) Hayley (11/96 - 1/13/09) Merlin (11/12/95 - 5/29/09)

GPA - Central New Hampshire

Guest shiningstar

Star rarely barked when she first came to us in May. Seems like since Thanksgiving she has really come out of her shell. She begun barking to go out or to come in. And she barks when she wants to play or if she thinks she's going somewhere, playbowing with her tail going in circles.

I have never heard Zahara bark in the 2.5 years I have had her. I have heard her whine, growl, but never bark. At my mom's 3 other dogs will be barking in pandemonium, she just stands there. Nothing. She lived with 2 other dogs for a month and I thought she would come home barking. Nope. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. But when strangers come in, she looks at them like are you here to pet me? No? ok see ya and she trundles back to her bed. :dunno

Edited by ZGrrl

Guest mleg2001

Sunny - every time he goes outdoor, I guess he want to warn away intruders, if he sees a squirrel he barks, if sees another dog he barks, if he sees small critter or birds in the pet store he barks, when I come in the front door he barks, if he thinks it time for me to go to bed he barks, if someone comes in the house he'll bark. if he thinks I'm going out, if he sees me packing the dog park back , if he sees me pull out the leash.......Did I say he is barky! :lol

I have heard Callie bark maybe 5 times in 1 3/4 years

Bilbo has only barked once, since we got him in Aug. but he does make noises in his sleep and such.

The crew Desi, Comet, Theo, Memphis, Belle, the 2 adult humans, and the kiddo.

R.I.P. Bear, Bilbo, Tippy, Guinea Pig Paige

Desi (TNJ By Design), Comet (Corpus Comet) Theo (Gable Thinsulate)

Bear (CS What A Bear) Dec. 3, 1999 - Dec 22, 2008 Bilbo (CTW Buffalo Bill) July 2001 - Aug 17, 2011,

Psi only if he wants to play and we dont pay attention (which is once/twice a month)

Cassie.....couple times a day but usually its cause Moms cat(a stray she takes care of) is at the back porch door teasing her.

Edited by jamngrey

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest AnnesMenagerie

In the last 2 months, 2 barks - both while she was asleep and dreaming.

One time after running a lot, she yelped and whined for a few seconds - I wondered if she had a 'stitch' in her side.

Other than that, she's learning to whine and I'm learning to ignore her whining :)

Phoenix occasionally barks when playing with other greys, otherwise never, ever. He does whine a lot.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Jeffers

Jeff barks once a week, on Sundays, when he's running with his greyhound buddies. Something about running with the pack makes him want to bark out orders and be bossy! Other than that - he's sooooo quiet!

I said about twice a day, though it could be more...she barks when she REALLY needs to go outside...sometimes it's just a whine though. Once she's outside, if the neighbor dog is outside too, they'll "conversate" for a second...they really like each other...I take her over to their larger fenced in area for runs from time to time...he enjoys trying to keep up with her :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Sara only barks at the dog park when she's on "fun police" patrol. I see it as trash talking

Same here Finn barks about once every 2 months in the house. At the park with his harem he turns into a macho man.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Jim barks at the doorbell/people at the door making noise.

He gives a single bark to go out, which becomes higher pitched and querulous is we don't get to him quickly :lol

He barks at the Simpson's cat noise.

He also barks if he wants something and we have to work out what.

Since we've had Renie, he'll bark at her (incessantly) if she's in a bed he wants

When the leads come out

Renie barks. At a LOT of things.

Strange noises

Jim doing something she doesn't like

for attention

for food

at odd noises coming from the TV (especially animal noises)

She thinks we're taking too long getting out of bed

At the wind

When playing

When the leads come out.

In five months I never heard Susan bark at all.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Argus is a barker. He barks to go out, he barks when the doorbell rings and he especially barks when I change from my work clothes into sweats because he know we're going out to play in the yard.

Callie barks once in a blue moon. The only time she has ever barked is at something out the window. We couldn't see it, but she stood there for about 15 minutes, letting out low woofs. :dunno

Robin - Cordova (Memphis), TN

Argus (BB's Turbo) #86152 Oswald Cobblepot X Hilary Pride

Butler (GoodOleBoyRoy) #92232 Castor Troy X Princess Josie

Bridge Angel Callie (Tom S Macaroon) #87886 Black Streaker X Tom S Megan, April 15, 2000 - November 3, 2012