Should I Get A Second Greyhound?

Hi! I’ve been thinking about adopting a second greyhound to keep my current only greyhound girl company. While I do think she’s a fine only dog, I feel like she’d be happier overall with a second one (maybe that’s just me talking myself into it LOL). For context, we live in a 2 bed 2 bath apartment, around 1,100 sq ft. There’s a balcony that they can lay out on. First floor. We’re active and go on 5 walks a day. Would love any advice/thoughts. Thank you! 

We're a bunch of enablers here lol so if *you* want a second dog, go for it! Lots of greyhounds are just as fine going solo as they are to welcoming an additional roomie. There is also the potential that the two of them don't bond as one hopes they would, so be prepared for that - they may co-exist whilst never becoming real chums. But by-and-large, most greyhounds get along with other hounds and indeed, with some other breeds, and once you have two, it's a short slippery slope to adding a third, etc. [note screen name] :lol If you have the opportunity for your dog to meet a potential new dog, that is always a good thing but def not a requirement. Let us know what you decide!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

6 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

We're a bunch of enablers here lol so if *you* want a second dog, go for it! Lots of greyhounds are just as fine going solo as they are to welcoming an additional roomie. There is also the potential that the two of them don't bond as one hopes they would, so be prepared for that - they may co-exist whilst never becoming real chums. But by-and-large, most greyhounds get along with other hounds and indeed, with some other breeds, and once you have two, it's a short slippery slope to adding a third, etc. [note screen name] :lol If you have the opportunity for your dog to meet a potential new dog, that is always a good thing but def not a requirement. Let us know what you decide!

:nod  :nod  :nod

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Go for it!  I always say it's definitely 2x the expense to add a second hound, but 0x more trouble and 4x more fun.  And it certainly assuaged my guilty feelings when I left for work each day, knowing that they provided companionship for each other even if all they did was sleep.

I have only had 2 who became a bonded pair, but all the others have gotten along and I think enjoyed having another dog to do dog things with.   A second grey may help your girl get over her car fixation.  Either that, or you'll be buying a lot more steak.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

The answer is always YES!!!  ;) 

BUT!

Make sure you have the funds, and most of all, the time for a second dog.  And temper your expectations for how your current dog will react.  Greyhounds are used to living communally, so they (usually) get along just fine.  But as mentioned, they may or may not turn out to be BFFs like you see pictures of on social media - cuddling and snuggling, playing together, etc.  

This question comes up frequently, so there are numerous threads to search for regarding adding a second greyhound to give you a ton more info.

I will just add to all that -  Common advice is to NOT get two of the same gender, especially two females.  There is a higher chance of behavioral issues and frictions between two females than between two males or a mixed couple.  But I've had three, and now two, girls for several years now and, while we do have some occasional minor dust ups over toys or snacks, we've had no serious issues.   I would urge you to let your current girl help pick out her companion - play dates with fosters, or time in turn out with others at a kennel - to make sure you get a match that suits everyone.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank you all! I appreciate the advice and perspective. Mainly worried about them feeling “crammed” in an apartment, but we keep things tidy and have a lot of open space intentionally. I’ll crunch some numbers and make sure it works for us financially before jumping into anything (: 

13 minutes ago, katt said:

Thank you all! I appreciate the advice and perspective. Mainly worried about them feeling “crammed” in an apartment, but we keep things tidy and have a lot of open space intentionally. I’ll crunch some numbers and make sure it works for us financially before jumping into anything (: 

Your apartment is 110 sq ft? My five and six campers all swam together beautifully on the first floor of our 1300 sq ft home. You’ve got this :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

13 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

We're a bunch of enablers here

Truer words were never written. :lol: 

6 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Your apartment is 110 sq ft? My five and six campers all swam together beautifully on the first floor of our 1300 sq ft home. You’ve got this :)

I've had as many as 8 hounds and 2 std. poodles in under 1500 sq ft, and they were almost always all on the main floor of a side split (ie, maybe 500 sq ft). Granted that all were seniors, but as long as there were enough beds for the hounds (well, big Graham preferred the area rug), we were good.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

we have 900 sq ft of official living space, not including the studio where the dogs hang out and a fenced in yard. your space is not a problem. it's all the icing on the cake- meds, vet, flea and tick, heartworm, etc. can you handle that? 

if you posted here- it's a done deal! good luck- this always approves of another GH!

Yeeeaaah.  We have a 900 sq ft house with a large fenced yard.  Most one bedroom apartments have more inside square feet than we do.  At our most crowded we had 6 greyhounds and 4 indoor cats.   As long as you're committed to several walks a day (plus for potties), you'll be absolutely fine.  If you're concerned about rambunctiousness, talk with your group about taking in a returned dog or senior that is already used to living in a house.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

That is great to hear! All these responses are making me feel a lot better about it. I know people who don't have greyhounds will say it's 'cruel' to have two large dogs in an apartment, but what do they know I guess. We do 5 walks a day, beach trips, park trails etc. so she gets outside and gets to explore good amount. :) Other than that, she just wants to plop and sleep. We have savings set aside for vet visits as well, already had to deal with some nasty hookworms!

We'll do some play dates with greys her age and see if we can find her a housemate. Thank you all! ^_^