Are there any adoption groups in SW Florida?

grey14me

I live part of the year in Sarasota, FL.  I have an elderly  neighbor with a greyhound. The neighbor has health problems and can't walk her dog, so me and another neighbor walk the greyhound, Sophie, twice a day. I walk her in the morning and the other neighbor does the afternoon walk. Sophie is on the thin side and we are not always sure she gets fed regularly. We (the other neighbor and I) do our best with Sophie, but we have to be careful. If we inquire too much, the neighbor gets defensive. We've heard from other neighbors that people have been barred from helping Sophie because they questioned the owner too much. So, we do the best we can for her. At some point, we are hoping the owner will decide that she can't care for Sophie and will give her to me. However, I'm not here for a few months out of the year. I would like to find an adoption group/contact that the other neighbor can notify if something happens to the owner and I'm not here. Suggestions?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Thank you for trying to help! Gold Coast Greyhound Adoption is in that general area. From their Facebook page it looks like they're still active.

I'm tagging a few FL folks who might know others. 

@Beachbum1 @cello @Mercsmom

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Thank you for helping Sophie. Do you know about how old she is? Good thoughts above from Rachel.

Is it possible when you have Sophie for walks that you could get some good snacks/treats into her?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

25 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Thank you for helping Sophie. Do you know about how old she is? Good thoughts above from Rachel.

Is it possible when you have Sophie for walks that you could get some good snacks/treats into her?

I believe she's 9 years old. I give her lots of treats. Sometimes the owner lets me into her house so I can make sure she has fresh water and food. We did get the owner to switch foods (well, the other neighbor is buying it) and that's helping with her poop issues. 

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

57 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

Thank you for trying to help! Gold Coast Greyhound Adoption is in that general area. From their Facebook page it looks like they're still active.

I'm tagging a few FL folks who might know others. 

@Beachbum1 @cello @Mercsmom

Thanks I will contact them!

I reached out to Gold Coast Greyhound Adoption and they were so nice! I now have a name/email and cell number of a person that any of the three of us can contact if/when needed!!

4 minutes ago, grey14me said:

I reached out to Gold Coast Greyhound Adoption and they were so nice! I now have a name/email and cell number of a person that any of the three of us can contact if/when needed!!

Awesome! :clap Sophie is so lucky to have you in her corner.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

1 hour ago, grey14me said:

Yay!! :bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:yay so nice of you to help...although I'm sure many of us would do the same if in this situation.

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross