Reassurance that things will get better!

Nervous first time dog owner here. I've adopted a gorgeous girlie called Cara  (turning 3 in Oct) who loves cuddles, people, her food and hates the entire outside world (apart from my parents house!) We're nearly 3.5 months in with the below challenges. We've been to a a beginner's obedience training course where I think she learnt loads, and we spend a short time each day practicing what we learnt plus some new things. I'm using a clicker. There are a few things going on that I can't lie, have made me cry a lot with frustration and worry about how we're ever going to get out the other side - so I guess I'm looking for some reassurance from other people that things will get better and any tips and advise.

Won't walk - she consistently statues. Most the time I can't get her out of the doorway. She's maybe been for about 10 walks where I live since I've had her. I've tried luring her with food (which she will eat so she's not too over threshold to do that!) but most the time she'll hit the threshold of drive turning into street and she will not budge. I used to drive her places to get her to walk but she doesn't love the car, it would be challenging to get her in and out and I decided I was just avoiding the issue and we need to get comfortable with my road as I can't maintain driving her for a walk 2 x a day. Rescue have come out and she will walk with them and they have said some stuff about how she needs to know I'm the 'leader of the pack' (not into that) but also that she needs to believe I'm in control and will keep her safe (which I do think they are right about)- and to do this I basically have to drag her by the lead/neck until she starts walking and knows that I make the decisions - which I just can't do, it's awful. So we're stuck indoors! My dad has a higher success rate with her when she has stayed with them - maybe about 50%. 

Resource guarding - this is a relatively newer thing since about the two month mark that I feel is escalating. She had growled at me across the room several times when I stood up to leave and has ran across the garden 'yipping' to stop me coming closer to something. She just doesn't get these things any more now (one was a knuckle bone, the other a goats ear) We're very slowly working on leave it and trading up but I am really now hesitant of taking anything off her at all. I want to start on drop it but she really doesnt 'hold' things in her mouth unless she's eating them so at a bit of a loss on how to start.

Reactivity to other dogs - when I adopted her I was told she was 'good with dogs of all sizes.' This is definitely not the case. Due to the lack of walking I haven't been able to determine any pattern with any certainly or even really work on it - but she will bark growl and lunge at some dogs. She doesn't seem phased by other dogs barking at her . I took her to a meet up as I was told she would be fine with other sighthounds by the rescue - nope, loads of growling and barking and had to leave. I don't need her to like other dogs, just be able to walk past one without reacting. I am letting her look and rewarding for disengaging (we mainly do this sat in my front garden due to lack of walking!)

Prey drive - super into cats, I'm going to get her a muzzle as I think she would catch and kill one. Hopefully as we improve her leave it she'll be able to start disengaging. 

Terrified of certain noises - trucks, the beeping sound of something reversing, the rubbish bin especially (goes past 3 x week) and helicopters. Doesn't blink at sirens though. She runs and hides and shakes and can be reluctant, sometimes for the rest of the day, to go out into the garden. She eats her meals out the front of the house now to try to desensitize her (recordings  to desensitize her don't phase her so I think it's something more she feels than she hears) Will she ever just be okay with these noises - they really do effect her wellbeing.

I've met with one trainer who I am not keen on and am not going to continue with - she uses slip leads and talked about correcting by basically pinching the dog on the side which is definitely not happening! So the search continues. I already love her to bits but she's not the dog I wanted or was told I was getting - I feel a bit like I'm grieving what I thought life would be like with her.  Sp please tell me it will be alright!     

Welcome to GT!  You will get lots of good information here and plenty of things to look up and read.  First good for you for not using that trainer.  Greyhounds need positive training methods.  For some they shut down with harsh tones or to hard a correction.

The first bit of time with your new gh is sometimes referred to as the honeymoon meaning she will walk where you take her and be on good behavior.  She is more or less just following the leash. Oblivious to what is going on as she starts to settle in and become aware of her surroundings she become overwhelmed and sometimes scared of all the new sights and sounds. 
No need for walks just hang out in the yard or outside the house.  Let her get used to the sights and sounds.  Remember her whole world has changed.  Keep in mind too that they have a highly scheduled routine that does not vary much and there is safety in that routine.  So the more predictable there day the better.  So take a deep breath and breathe in and out slowly for a little while.  Grab a towel or soft brush bring her to you and just brush her and get to know her.  Take this same towel or soft brush with her on a leash outside the house.  If she will not walk out the door stay behind her and give her a gentle nudge or toss a yummy treat/toy just out of reach.

If the dog does not feel you are in control (the leader) or not going to protect them, then they will start protecting you or being in charge.  Think of it as the tough teen years she is trying to make the world hers since she does not believe it is yours.  I say this because I think you are so overwhelmed and nervous.  If she is able to control your actions.

1 hour ago, sian29 said:

and to do this I basically have to drag her by the lead/neck until she starts walking and knows that I make the decisions - which I just can't do, it's awful. So we're stuck indoors!

Does you adoption group have a behaviorist they recommend or someone in the group that could help you build your confidence that could give you pointers and bring there well adjusted dog so you could do gh group walks?  

I think time and patience will make a huge difference for you.  These dogs change so much the longer they are in your home.  Keep working on bonding and stay in the yard, driveway and give her time.  As she trust you will see some of this go away.

You can use Nothing in life is free training to help with the bonding.  Start with any behavior she will do that she learned in class.  You can do a search for it on GT. 
https://gpa-az.com/gilley.html

I am sure you will get lots of help from others.  Search statue and new greyhound lots of good information will pop up.

Where are you located someone may have a behaviorist/ greyhound walk info if we know where you are located city or country.

Edited by 1Moregrey
Link to article

Three and a half months is just a blip of time for a newly adopted dog.  She - and you - are just in the beginning of a very long journey.  A lot of the behaviors you're seeing and dealing with are mainly because a) she doesn't trust you fully yet, and b) she's completely overwhelmed by this new world she's been forced to live in.

So... Stop.  Just. Stop.

She needs time and patience - a LOT more of both than you're currently giving her.  The rule of thumb is - 3 days, 3 months, three years - for a dog settling into a new home.  She's NOT EVER going to be a plug-and-play kind of dog you can put into new situations and be perfectly fine in minutes - she's not a lab or a retriever.  She's never seen (or heard) a truck on the street before.  Never seen a cat, or even any other breed of dog.  She's never had to feel anxious someone is going to take her food or her treats before.  She has no idea what walking in a busy city on a leash is all about.  Everything in her world is scary and adding to her anxiety.

Stop pushing new things onto her plate.  Stop expecting her to just... accept.  She won't.  She can't.

Read through the other two threads below yours also about a newly adopted greyhound who's struggling.  All of the behaviors you're describing are *very* common.  All will likely resolve with patience and time and a lot of trust building between you.  

Except the prey drive.  She may have been tested for cat and small dog tolerance before being adopted, but it's also very possible an overwhelmed dog will lie during that test.  She may come to be cat workable with time, but she's dealing with a lot right now, so she's going to fall back on her instincts first.  Your adoption group should have provided you with a plastic kennel muzzle.  If they didn't, you can get one here  Halemar   or from many adoption group merchandise pages.  Though they ARE NOT foolproof!  My dogs can easily pick up balls and sticks, and even bite each other, with their muzzles on.  If she's distractable when she sees a cat, it's likely you'll be able to work through this issue.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I LOVE that you are holding firm against anyone, even purported experts, who suggests any kind of roughness and harsh discipline. The dragging and pinching--you just know those are wrong. You will want to find a trainer who uses positive methods only.  There may be folks here who can make recommendations when we know where you and your girl live. It sounds as if you may be in England, so I'm not useful with that, but others will be.

Focus on letting her relax and get to know you and your home.  The home environment can be quite new and unnerving for newly adopted hounds.  It sounds like walks aren't needed for toileting (yes?), so there's no need to push for that yet.  Keep up that gentle, fun clicker training you're doing.  Relaxing, positive training, training games and time are how relationships get built.

My boy Spirit has been gone almost a year, at 14.5 years.  He was my shy, timid, scared boy.  Strangers, loud noises, unfamiliar places, men with loud jovial voices ( :eek on our first visit to the vet, of course) terrified him.  He'd freak out, back up, try to pull out of his collar, anything to get away from the "danger".  It took months and months of routine and getting to know each other but he gradually became less fearful.  He trusted me on the other end of his leash to protect him. This is a lovely long relationship-building commitment. Enjoy it!

I've also dealt with the frightening growling.  My current hound, Nate, and I really benefited from a good trainer with a positive, gentle approach and a certified animal behaviorist.  Nate and I worked with a  behaviorist and a trainer together via Zoom and got a great deal of help.

Come back to share more about your girl and let us know how you are both doing.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Hi. It will be alright, but, the eventual reality may still be different to how you imagined. Every dog's an individual.

It sounds like your dog may be bordering on chronic stress. Google "Spoon Theory For Dogs" - or this It's Only Funny Until Your Dog Runs Out of Spoons | Your Dog's Friend (yourdogsfriend.org)

Above anything, IMO the dog needs an environment that's calm, relaxed, predictable, and safe (from the dog's point of view) to allow stress levels to dissipate. 

Personally, I can now carefully step over and around my resting Grey if he's blocking the way, and he doesn't bat an eyelid so to speak. But if there's an unexpected sound or sudden movement, he runs for 'safety'.  Cheers and good luck. :) 

15 hours ago, sian29 said:

I already love her to bits but she's not the dog I wanted or was told I was getting - I feel a bit like I'm grieving what I thought life would be like with her.  So please tell me it will be alright!     

I think a lot of us can relate to that and adjusting to the dog we actually have can take a bit of time. I nearly returned my first one several times because she was a nervous dog. It took a month until she stopped freezing on walks and another couple of months to get her used to traffic. She's still a nervous dog but will now go with me everywhere.

Go back to basics and treat her as if she's just come into your life and slow things down. Imagine you've been dropped into the centre of a large noisy town in China with no translator, you don't know the rules and you can't read the signs, that's what it's like for her. She needs a friend who can guide her gently but with confidence and authority.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

contact your adoption group. 

i hate to be blunt but Clara sounds like she should not be an only dog! also ask them about her intake vet work. She should have her thyroid checked. and if you are going to run blood work see if they will pay for it.

go over physical attributes that might result in her  reluctance and fear of the outside world. then what Clara's needs might be- the need to be in a pack.

it's NOT YOU! 

just wanted to add that i had a friend whose GH was rather passive but what I call a spook. she patiently went thru lots of gentle clicker training, one on one training with a well seasoned professional who was very positive and supportive. her male was so unhappy going out, she just let him be happy in the  house and the tiny patio(6ft stockade fencing) and didn't stress him with walks. she walked her other 2 greyhounds and he was more than content to stay at home. 

this situation does happen, you need to decide if this is what you signed up for. i'm probably the only one or one of very few who will say, don't feel guilty. things don't always work out. a good breeder, a good rescue group, a good organization will support both the needs of the dog and the needs of the owner.

You'll be ok.  I cried so much with my first; some of the same issues.  Resource guarding, statue on walks except Zim would completely lay down & refuse to move, refusing to get out of the car, refusing to get in the car.  I had a behaviorist come to the house & did the good canine citizen which was helpful.  Also the NILIF worked well for me with the clicker also.  After about 2 years things settled down.  Her issues never went away I just learned to manage them better.  She growled at me about certain things until she passed!!!  It will get better.  The other thing is I never ever let her near any children.  

Take a breath.  Relax.  Transition takes time - you knew that going into this.  Trust your instincts, and read your dog.  Your dog is telling you she's overstimulated.  LISTEN!

That said -Back up.  Make her world much smaller.  Just the house.  Just the backyard for potty.  Start her world small again.  

When she's cool with that, and she will be, expand.  One step at a time. 

You did too much - too fast.  Been there, lived that!  Many of us make the same mistake with our first greys.

3 minutes ago, sobesmom said:

Take a breath.  Relax.  Transition takes time - you knew that going into this.  Trust your instincts, and read your dog.  Your dog is telling you she's overstimulated.  LISTEN!

That said -Back up.  Make her world much smaller.  Just the house.  Just the backyard for potty.  Start her world small again.  

When she's cool with that, and she will be, expand.  One step at a time. 

You did too much - too fast.  Been there, lived that!  Many of us make the same mistake with our first greys.