Degenerative disc disease

Disc disease is fairly common, but so young is not.  I would think it might have been a spinal stroke or blood clot or some other immediate event, rather than DDD, which usually takes years to impact quality of life enough to need euthanasia.  Did she have an accident??

I'm so sorry for your loss of your sweet girl.  We never have enough time with them, and having it cut prematurely short seems even more cruel.  {{{hugs}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

No accident. About a year after we got her she would hold her back paw up occasionally. I had it xrayed twice and they never found anything. A few weeks ago she seemed like she wasn’t feeling well all day. When we went to bed she was panting heavily. I got up to check her. She went to follow me and collapsed paralyzed. She was in so much pain when we took her in. I’m still in such shock. 

I really am sorry.  It's so hard when they are so young...

It does sound like a spinal stroke or aneurysm or some another spinal injury issue that caused her sudden collapse.  Did they take xrays or offer any sort of treatment??  Is your vet (or the Evet where you took her) familiar with greyhounds??  Again, that sounds more catastrophic than simple degenerative disc disease.  

Please know there was likely nothing you could have done, regardless of her diagnosis, except supportive care and time to see if she would recover on her own.  Deciding to euthanize her, while painful and traumatic, especially with such a young dog, was the right choice for her circumstances.

You did your very best for her, and she knew you loved her.  That's all any of us can wish for in our final moments.  {{{hugs}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

On 6/2/2022 at 12:43 AM, greysmom said:

It does sound like a spinal stroke or aneurysm or some another spinal injury issue that caused her sudden collapse.  Did they take xrays or offer any sort of treatment??  Is your vet (or the Evet where you took her) familiar with greyhounds??  Again, that sounds more catastrophic than simple degenerative disc disease.  

Please know there was likely nothing you could have done, regardless of her diagnosis, except supportive care and time to see if she would recover on her own.  Deciding to euthanize her, while painful and traumatic, especially with such a young dog, was the right choice for her circumstances.

You did your very best for her, and she knew you loved her.  That's all any of us can wish for in our final moments.  {{{hugs}}}

They did X-rays but said she would need an mri  from the day we brought her home she never went in the crate  she was petrified of it  She was never destructive so we never had a problem  a big part of bringing her back home like that was that she would have to be crated and I think that would have been devastating for her  she was truly an amazing girl  quickly adapted to home life and became such a huge part of all of our lives  greyhounds really do steal your heart ❤️ thank you so much.  I’m having a very hard time dealing with her loss and having to make the decision to put her down.  Your words are really helpful  

On 6/2/2022 at 12:43 AM, greysmom said:

No accident. About a year after we got her she would hold her back paw up occasionally. I had it xrayed twice and they never found anything. A few weeks ago she seemed like she wasn’t feeling well all day. When we went to bed she was panting heavily. I got up to check her. She went to follow me and collapsed paralyzed. She was in so much pain when we took her in. I’m still in such shock.