Can greyhounds handle Tramadol

Hello Everyone...

Any help would be appreciated. The vets here in Ontario we have taken our dog do not seem to understand greyhounds.

Our sweet dog came from Florida a few years ago and always was difficult to feed. Now she really needs a dental which will be scheduled.

In the meantime the vets just wanted to prescribe antibiotics and gabapentin. The gabapentin she could not handle so now it's tramadol which makes her nervous and will not eat properly again.

My understanding that this drug is not very effective in the first place and can have adverse effects on greyhounds? We are so worried about her.

Has anyone had adverse effects from tramadol before I contact the vet tomorrow.

Thank you so much.

Vets we've encontered here in the past few years have repeatedly said that Tramadol has little to no effect in pain control for dogs and that the current direction is to not prescribe it.  We've had one or 2 of our previous hounds use it and I think one of them was a little whacked out or hyper while taking it.  It didn't do much for the pain they were having at the time so we ended up using higher doses of Gabapentin and/or anti-inflammatories. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I've had better luck with Tramadol than Gabapentin, but I know that some Greyhound owners have had trouble with Tramadol. (As far as I know, the negative effects are short term, and disappear once the dog is off the drug.) The reactions are very much dependent on the dog. Sometimes the type/degree of pain is key--I had one who wouldn't eat the first time she was on Tramadol, but we used it again when she was in much worse pain and she continued to eat.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

What's the purpose of the tramadol??

An nsaid like meloxicam or rimadyl is probably as effective at pain relief for anything but the most intractable pain.  Jumping right to an opioid is as unwarranted in dogs as it in in people.  And Tramadol is a thoroughly discredited drug for most purposes.  Also don't let them use a Fentanyl patch.  If she really needs and opioid, the *only* one I've ever found to be effective is called Codiene Sulfate.

Gabapentin is sort of a multi-use drug.  It's off-label (not FDA approved) for use in canines for anti seizure, anxiety, and nerve pain.  It can be very sedating if begun at higher doses (over 100mg), but they usually get used to it quite quickly.

Contact your adoption group and see if they have any suggestions for a vet with more greyhound experience.  Or perhaps other local greyhound owners (on social media, or in walking groups) can give you some suggestions.  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Like Time4ANap and greysmom, I prefer NSAIDS most of the time, but there can be side effects to those too, most notably GI upset.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

A little late to this party....

But my experience with one of my grays was he did not handle Tramadol well. He was couldn't sleep and very very painty. 

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

12 hours ago, 2greyhoundMINI said:

A little late to this party....

But my experience with one of my grays was he did not handle Tramadol well. He was couldn't sleep and very very painty. 

Not too late! Thank you for this. I do not feel comfortable with many drugs vets throw at our dogs. I did try again but she does not look good (very sad) and not eating and panting still. So will stop them again. She does have GI problems since I got her sic years ago. The adoption people have not been helpful.

Many people I meet are feeling really unsure of the veterinary world. This may not sound fair but I lost two because of drugs and anesthesia. My heart still aches.

Will suggest codeine with the vet this week.

Use this forum as a resource if you are uneasy about your vet and greyhounds.

And be pushy… yes they are vets but a lot don’t know a lot about greyhounds which we all know have different needs.

Good luck!

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

i have successfully used tramadol in the past. i start w/ 1/2 dose for a day and then increase to full dose. GH can tolerate more than you expect, it's all in the dosing. annie was on tramadol, gabapentin and metacam for 6 weeks(due to injury and on crate rest). when we stopped going off of tramadol was the first step. alternating days and of gabapentin and then last was going off of metacam. i guess i have been very lucky, no problems what so ever w/ my vet's RX. one of my whippets had a reaction to Carprofen. it turned out he was a lightweight and needed 1/2 dose for his weight. 

15 hours ago, Bogangles said:

I do not feel comfortable with many drugs vets throw at our dogs.

That's why it's important for owners to do their research into their breed in general and their own dog specifically.  YOU always need to know your dogs limits and tolerances, what she can handle and what she needs to avoid.  Then you need to advocate for your dog, the same way you would for a young child.  

Vets (and human doctors) aren't gods.  They know a lot, but they don't know everything - it would be *impossible* to know everything about every breed of dog and cat and small animal.  Most of them - the vast majority of them - do their absolute best for every animal they see, under stressful and overworked conditions.  Especially in these Pandemic times.  Taking care of your pet should be a partnership between you and your vet, not the vet telling you what you should do with no discussion or questions.  

If your vet is a my-way-or-the-highway kind of doctor it's time to find a new one.  IMO.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

22 hours ago, greysmom said:

Then you need to advocate for your dog, the same way you would for a young child.

Greysmom, totally agree with everything you said. -- I say this to some people sometimes. I have taken my dog to about 11 vets in six years (which is ridiculous). One I would have stayed with but she retired much to many people's dismay. You do need someone who will work with you. We are going back to the vet today -- she wants to do a recheck at "no charge". She is a nice person but does she know enough about greyhounds? So will see what comes out of it.

Thank you all for responding -- I am very thankful.