Mitral Valve Disease

Jack is ten years old, was diagnosed with MVD at age 6 by a cardiologist after vet noticed a significant heart murmur.  Jack goes to cardiologist regularly to be checked. On our appointment yesterday Jack's left atrium and ventricle was enlarged.  Cardiologist started him on Vetmedin with a re check in 6 months.  Jack is slowing down due to his age but is not showing any other symptoms of heart disease, coughing, fainting, excessive lethargy (not any more than usual).  Of course, he won't chew the Vetmedin but will take it crushed.  Just checking to see if others have had experience with Vetmedin and MVD.  Of course I am worried about Jack, he has a dental coming up in March, cardiologist is providing my vet with specific instructions related to anesthesia and prophylactic antibiotic use.  Appreciate any words of wisdom or others input.  Also I have been looking for Vetmedin online as it is expensive, recommendations for a bit less expensive online pharmacy that anyone has used.  Thanks very much, I hate when our pups get old.  Luckily Jack has a 1 yr. old whippet brother who keeps him on his toes.

My Penny was on vetmedin for dilated cardiomyopathy.  I found Valley Vet had the least expensive med.  Vetmedin is compoundable, tho, so if you have a compounding pharmacy near you, you might check them out,  Penny was on it for about a year, and, while she didn't improve, she didn't get any worse. She suffered a traumatic fall in the yard and dislocated her hip.  Because of the DCM, she wasn't a candidate for surgery, so I had to put her down. She was exactly a month past her 12th birthday. Good luck with your boy!

You described Pearl to a T. 

Diagnosed at age 5, died at age 12 to cancer. When she needed a dental I took her to the big hospital where a cardiologist was standing by in case of any issues. She always did well. Cost a fortune, but she was my heart and soul. She passed 12 years ago and I still miss her.

DD's dog, a street dog terrier type, has had a heart murmur for years. Recently after a harrowing experience- attacked by another dog and nearly died it went from a grade 2 murmur to 5 then 6+. she needed yet another surgery after the attack(3 in total)and had an echocardiogram which revealed she was older than anyone thought- not 10/11 but more like 13/14! the cardioligist  prescribed specific method of anesthesia and she's still with us- chasing vermin and hunting. but honestly i would have told DD not to put her under for a dental- she had antibiotic resistant bacteria removed from cavities under her skin. this was all a result of the attack and had some serious bouts of cellulitis.

Sugar, my first greyhound, had MVD, diagnosed when she was 9. She was 7 when I adopted her, so she could have had a mild case before she was diagnosed. She was on enalipril and lasex for several years with regular checkups and was stable, but when she finally started to get worse she was put on vetmedin. It did help, and she was on it for about a year, but by then she had other health issues and developed CHF. She passed from kidney failure at 12.5. The vetmedin could have contributed to her kidneys going, but she was already in CHF, so I think it was worth it.

You should see if you can use the GoodRx app for this rx at your regular pharmacy.  If you can, it can really cut the cost down to something manageable.  But not all their coupons can be used for pet prescriptions.  You might also check if Chewy's new rx service has it cheaper.

Vetmedin is so expensive because so many dogs are on it now for DCM there are supply issues across the country.  Hopefully this will work itself out as manufacturing (and delivery) catches up with demand.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank you for all the input and personal experiences.  It helps to know that others have been where we are and how they managed.  I have had Jack since he was a puppy, he is very special to me and want to make sure I do what is best for him.  Every extra bit of information is very helpful!