Breakthrough

Yesterday I saw Apollo run for the first time.  Not just a 2nd gear trot, but a 3rd gear hard acceleration before he had to turn it back down.  That made me the happiest dog daddy in NoVa!

We went to the dog park and there was a single dog, husky mix in the park.  Apollo hasn't been sure of other dogs and rarely interacts with them while on lead.  I blame this on leashes making him feel like he can't get away.  So I was apprehensive about the dog park with another dog, but I thought I'd give it a try.  Welp...he went in, and when  she went for the butt sniff...he took off, she followed and once he realized he was faster, he was all smiles.   After about 10-12 minutes of stop and go play he was done.  

Seeing him get low and get all of  his back legs into the push and his shoulders into the pull was an eye opener, but the best part was that look of confidence and happiness on his face.

We tried to go back to that park today, but there were several smaller, and very barky dogs in there.  So we didn't chance it.   

We are making small steps towards socialization and this was a huge leap for him to play with another dog, especially a non-sighthound.  (Somehow all sighthounds seem to recognize each other.)  He's still cautious of the neighborhood doggos on leashes, and downright terrified of this sweet but tiny Shih Tzu in the neighborhood.  But I think he'll come around eventually.

Isn’t it great to watch them run? You are right to be cautious, bad things can happen to a greyhound in a dog park, but with just one or two other dogs you are pretty safe, if they seem like “nice” dogs. 
And yes, they are terrible breed snobs :lol

I think that is why greyhounds are so addictive. They make you wait and work at understanding and sorting out their quirks and then reward you by giving you joy.

8 hours ago, Remolacha said:

And yes, they are terrible breed snobs 

Agreed. It took Grace 2 years of meeting a husky type dog a couple of times a week during our morning walks before she even looked at her, but the collie cross lurcher got greeted with a wagging tail from day one :lol

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Isn't it thrilling to watch them run? And fun to see how much your boy enjoyed "winning"!

I've got a fairly large yard, and my first Greyhound, Piper, both thrilled and terrified me with how fast he ran.  Once I figured out that he could turn and wasn't going to kill himself running into the fence, I could relax and enjoy the delight of watching him. I still remember how he'd run past, his eyes locked on mine.  As if I really needed more reasons to love Piper the Perfect.

Edited by LBass
'Cuz I can fat-finger just about any word.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

10 hours ago, LBass said:

Isn't it thrilling to watch them run? And fun to see how much yo9ur boy enjoyed "winning"!

Well considering he never even showed during his racing days, I'm sure he was kind of surprised, maybe even shocked.  (6 races: 3 8th place, 2 6th place and 1 7th place.  It was a short 1 month +5 day career  :)  )

He was meant for me all along, that I can tell you.  

On 2/6/2022 at 5:24 PM, Remolacha said:

Isn’t it great to watch them run? You are right to be cautious, bad things can happen to a greyhound in a dog park, but with just one or two other dogs you are pretty safe, if they seem like “nice” dogs. 

He's just not cut out to be around a lot of doggos yet.  Not enough room for him to escape, and some of those tiny fuzzy doggos might not be treated kindly if they get stepped on and squeal... 

On 2/6/2022 at 5:24 PM, Remolacha said:

And yes, they are terrible breed snobs :lol

17 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

Agreed. It took Grace 2 years of meeting a husky type dog a couple of times a week during our morning walks before she even looked at her, but the collie cross lurcher got greeted with a wagging tail from day one :lol

Sighthounds are almost all like that.  My PHs, would always gravitate towards lurchers, greys, whippets, and any other sighthounds they came across...it was always just a silent acceptance.  

17 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

I think that is why greyhounds are so addictive. They make you wait and work at understanding and sorting out their quirks and then reward you by giving you joy.

Watching him turn into a "dog" is amazing to watch.   Of course now our walks take longer because he feels the necessity to read all of the "pee-mail" that the other dogs leave for him.  He's also alerted me to the local neighborhood fox a few times.  He shows no interest in chasing, only a slight interest in staying out of the way/line of sight.

Awesome!!

You might see if your adoption group has a greyhound playdate you can attend.  Or if there are enough greys in your geographic are to have a meet up.  Some friends around Washington DC have a playgroup every Saturday morning - very early so they have the dog park to themselves.  It's a nice way to socialize for dogs and people!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

9 hours ago, greysmom said:

Awesome!!

You might see if your adoption group has a greyhound playdate you can attend.  Or if there are enough greys in your geographic are to have a meet up.  Some friends around Washington DC have a playgroup every Saturday morning - very early so they have the dog park to themselves.  It's a nice way to socialize for dogs and people!

any idea where? I'm in the NoVA area.

2 hours ago, Apollo_the_Grey said:

I found my local greyhound walks by googling greyhound walks followed by my local area. Failing that search for greyhound adoption groups near you and contact them to see if they run or know of any social groups.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

13 hours ago, Apollo_the_Grey said:

@Potomacpupsmom

You don't have enough posts for PMs yet, but we'll see if this works!

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

It is such fun to watch them run!  Glad you were able to witness it.  I would check with some local groups and see if there is a greyhound meet-up near you.  Don't forget her muzzle, though, as that is required with these groups. 

Edited by dante2zoe

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

15 hours ago, Apollo_the_Grey said:

I am the organizer of the infamous early Saturday morning playgroup and some fellow friendly posters let me know that you were looking.  We meet at the Ridge Road Recreational Park Dog park In Germantown MD every Saturday just after sunrise.  This week it will be at 7:15am.    We have several NoVa attendees who come at that hour!   Since you don't have enough posts yet to PM, I'll put the directions here.    Take the Beltway to I 270 and get off at exit 16- Father Hurley Blvd.  Head west towards Damascus and turn left on 355.   The entrance to the County Park is on your right, not far from the intersection, slightly hidden by a berm.   Follow the entrance road all the way to the stop sign and you will see the dog park on the left and the parking lot on the right.    ALL GREYS MUST BE MUZZLED!   It is very rare that other breeds come at that hour, because greyhound people are the only ones crazy enough to be awake and out at that time on a Saturday morning.   It's even earlier in the summer!   It's a lot of fun and the greys really enjoy themselves- running for a little bit and then they stand around and get petted by the humans!  Hope you can come! 

Kathy

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

19 hours ago, Apollo_the_Grey said:

If you're on Instagram, DM me (@pauliindc)--I'm in DC and know several people with greys in NoVa, happy to connect you. (In case you'd like to connect with some folks one-on-one outside of the organized playgroup.) 

On 2/9/2022 at 2:45 PM, Potomacpupsmom said:

I am the organizer of the infamous early Saturday morning playgroup and some fellow friendly posters let me know that you were looking.  We meet at the Ridge Road Recreational Park Dog park In Germantown MD every Saturday just after sunrise.  This week it will be at 7:15am.    We have several NoVa attendees who come at that hour!   Since you don't have enough posts yet to PM, I'll put the directions here.    Take the Beltway to I 270 and get off at exit 16- Father Hurley Blvd.  Head west towards Damascus and turn left on 355.   The entrance to the County Park is on your right, not far from the intersection, slightly hidden by a berm.   Follow the entrance road all the way to the stop sign and you will see the dog park on the left and the parking lot on the right.    ALL GREYS MUST BE MUZZLED!   It is very rare that other breeds come at that hour, because greyhound people are the only ones crazy enough to be awake and out at that time on a Saturday morning.   It's even earlier in the summer!   It's a lot of fun and the greys really enjoy themselves- running for a little bit and then they stand around and get petted by the humans!  Hope you can come! 

Kathy

Thanks Kathy!  

I know exactly where that park is, I used to play roller hockey there in my younger days.  :)

Any good source for muzzles?  I don't have one for Mr. Apollo.

Your adoption group may have a store or link to purchase them.  Or this online store from Greyhounds of Eastern Michigan is good:

GEM Store Muzzles

Or this online retailer (a GT member) who sells imported muzzles from Ireland.  If your boy is particularly small (60 lbs or less), the Padded Irish Muzzles are perfect.

Hound Safe Muzzles

8 hours ago, Apollo_the_Grey said:

Thanks Kathy!  

I know exactly where that park is, I used to play roller hockey there in my younger days.  :)

Any good source for muzzles?  I don't have one for Mr. Apollo.

Greysmom gave you some great sources for muzzles.   My greys came with muzzles from the track, but I have also purchased some at the GEM store.    In the meantime, some of us have extra muzzles in our cars until you get yours.     When I get your email address I can add you to the distribution list for info about meetings times each week.  Next Saturday we will be meeting at 7:15.   Just flag one of us down before entering the enclosed park area and we can let you borrow one of our muzzles for the hour that we meet that day.

Edited by Potomacpupsmom

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

On 2/13/2022 at 6:54 PM, Potomacpupsmom said:

Greysmom gave you some great sources for muzzles.   My greys came with muzzles from the track, but I have also purchased some at the GEM store.    In the meantime, some of us have extra muzzles in our cars until you get yours.     When I get your email address I can add you to the distribution list for info about meetings times each week.  Next Saturday we will be meeting at 7:15.   Just flag one of us down before entering the enclosed park area and we can let you borrow one of our muzzles for the hour that we meet that day.

ok just ordered a muzzle.

Not sure I can get Apollo out of bed at 0715; he seriously doesn't like to wake up.  But I'll definitely give it a go.  It takes me about an hour or so to get to that park, even if it's only 15 miles away...because of the lack of bridges to cross the Potomac.

Do you think Apollo would be more outgoing around other greyhounds?  I'm hoping so.  Because he's a silly goofball and I want other people to see that side of him as well.

(also he's huge...weighing in at 78-80lbs.)

Edited by Apollo_the_Grey

17 minutes ago, Apollo_the_Grey said:

Do you think Apollo would be more outgoing around other greyhounds?  I'm hoping so.  Because he's a silly goofball and I want other people to see that side of him as well.

It's really fun to see how the greys open up to each other and are so excited to see other greys!   Eventually they know when it is Saturday and will wake up their parents to go to the park!   Hope to see you there! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 7:00 PM, Potomacpupsmom said:

It's really fun to see how the greys open up to each other and are so excited to see other greys!   Eventually they know when it is Saturday and will wake up their parents to go to the park!   Hope to see you there! 

Now that it's warmed up a bit, I think I might be able to get this going.    We had a minor setback last week with a loud barky dog at the park.  We left but it was obvious Apollo was stressed.  We left and he slept ALL DAY and night afterwards.   Today he was stressed as well even with just 2 doggos.  He was playing the "I'm an invisible doggo, standing here near the fence, I'm boring, don't look at me" game.   I could feel his nervous energy so after about 10 minutes we left, he didn't seem interested in relaxing.  

What time is the meeting next week?  We just got our muzzle in the mail.

We are meeting at 7am on Saturday.  After Daylight Saving Time starts it will be a little later for a while.  You can give me your email address when I see you on Saturday and I’ll add you to the distribution list.  Looking forward to meeting you and Apollo!