Sleep Aggression x 2?

Theoretical question for those of you who have experience with a dog with sleep aggression.  If you already had one dog with significant sleep aggression, would you knowingly take on another dog with it?   Or if you did end up with two, how did it work out?  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Knowing that a dog has sleep aggression wouldn’t put me off. It’s just like any other issue your dog has. You just learn to manage it. Knowing in advance just means you can manage it from the start rather than finding out from a near-death experience :lol.

Because Buddy is my first dog, I don’t have another to compare him to so I don’t know if there are degrees of sleep aggression, and maybe he’s not really that bad if I’m prepared to take another one on with that issue. Maybe it’s less that I’m brave, and more that I’m stupid :D

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Fine.  We've had multiple dogs with Sleep Startle and it works just fine.  

It does take a bit of thinking about and some increased dog management to keep everyone safe though.  You have to have good separation between dog beds (or sleep in crates or xpens), and we always use muzzles in the bedroom with a new dog until everyone can sleep comfortably.  The dogs also learn each others limits and boundaries pretty quickly.  In fact, most of the non-SS dogs we have keep their distance from each other even after the SS dog is no longer with us.  They learn the rule and follow it!!

So first, I would evaluate the space I have for sleeping arrangements - can I reasonably separate everyone so they can all sleep safely?  Then, evaluate my own commitment to managing where/how my dogs interact in that space - it does take a bit of time and energy.  And think about other enclosed spaces you may need to have dogs in - a car, for instance - and if you can keep everyone safe there too.  But it's really doable if you consider everything, and having dog companions for each other is worth the extra time and effort.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Is there something you want to tell us? B)

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Rocket had sleep startle. For us, one at a time with the issue was plenty. That's mostly because we often have other hounds here staying or visiting, and I don't want to have to keep track of other dogs potentially walking up to 2 dogs with sleep startle  and having an incident while they are here.  It was never really a problem when the others visited, but it was just one of those things that we always consciously watched for to make sure there were no incidents.  Rocket usually gave a little warning growl if someone got too close which was fine.  They were all still best buddies when they stayed together.  He would even let Conner (Remolacha's Conner) lay fairly close to him without having an issue.  He and Conner were best buddies so I think Conner knew where the boundary was.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Is there something you want to tell us? B)

No.  :)  There's a returned hound at my adoption program who has sleep/space aggression.  Let's call it SSA so I don't have to keep typing it out.  They tell me he was also successful at taking charge over the humans at his first home but has responded well to firmer hands on the controls at his foster home.  I said a regretful no, because of the SSA.  Jeter comes out of sleep in an instant and it is scary.  He does a good Cujo impression for up to 30 seconds.  He is allowed to lie next to me on the sofa for short periods of time, but when he shows signs of going into deep sleep, I make him get down.  I have extra dog beds and an extra sofa.  Milo knows the boundaries and does not react on the few occasions when he accidentally impedes, but he also will sometimes deliberately goad Jeter.  What if the new dog does react?  I wonder if I'm being a wimp, but the idea of having to be extra diligent because there's two SSA dogs, that the two might really get into it when they're in that glazed eye stage, feeling like I should keep muzzles on or babygate all day when I'm at work, or even miss out on cuddling because I have to institute a ban on dogs on the sofa, does not appeal.  

But Jan, there's still that 10-year-old Stingray return at that program.  He'd make a greyt Camper and we could all provide references  so that they'd consider an out-of-state adoption.  ;)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

58 minutes ago, EllenEveBaz said:

No.  :)  There's a returned hound at my adoption program who has sleep/space aggression.  Let's call it SSA so I don't have to keep typing it out.  They tell me he was also successful at taking charge over the humans at his first home but has responded well to firmer hands on the controls at his foster home.  I said a regretful no, because of the SSA.  Jeter comes out of sleep in an instant and it is scary.  He does a good Cujo impression for up to 30 seconds.  He is allowed to lie next to me on the sofa for short periods of time, but when he shows signs of going into deep sleep, I make him get down.  I have extra dog beds and an extra sofa.  Milo knows the boundaries and does not react on the few occasions when he accidentally impedes, but he also will sometimes deliberately goad Jeter.  What if the new dog does react?  I wonder if I'm being a wimp, but the idea of having to be extra diligent because there's two SSA dogs, that the two might really get into it when they're in that glazed eye stage, feeling like I should keep muzzles on or babygate all day when I'm at work, or even miss out on cuddling because I have to institute a ban on dogs on the sofa, does not appeal.  

But Jan, there's still that 10-year-old Stingray return at that program.  He'd make a greyt Camper and we could all provide references  so that they'd consider an out-of-state adoption.  ;)

You’re awesome to consider him. But you  did the right thing and for very valid reasons. 

Ellen, if we weren’t moving I’d take that Stingray boy in a heartbeat. Does he remind y’all of anyone? That second pic of him made my eyes leak terribly. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Chris said it best! My Johnny had SS, he did eventually come to the point where we could share the bed. Johnny and LBass' Spirit got along well, snoozing in the living room during the day.

When I got G, I knew he had space issues. So muzzles were in use any time they were in close proximity or I wasn't home. 

G gets upset with Fuzzy in the back of the van, more like "MOM SHE'S TOUCHING ME" and some bed guarding, but they get along pretty well.

Roman uses his size to bully G out of beds, G has decided that it's not worth getting in fight and he gets another place. Plus the squabbling if they next to one another in the van (I use soft crates), so I have to put Fuzzy between them.

They wear muzzles at nite and when I'm out.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

1 hour ago, FiveRoooooers said:

You’re awesome to consider him. But you  did the right thing and for very valid reasons. 

Ellen, if we weren’t moving I’d take that Stingray boy in a heartbeat. Does he remind y’all of anyone? That second pic of him made my eyes leak terribly. 

Oh the campground is moving??!!  I hope it's a good move for you.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

1 hour ago, Fostr_Mom said:

Oh the campground is moving??!!  I hope it's a good move for you.

Thank you!!