Depressed Greyhound? First Time Owner

I just adopted a approx 4 yr old male Greyhound and I am concerned/looking for advice. 

He knows stay/come/bed/crate, so adjusting to home life rules etc hasn’t been too bad at all. However he seems totally depressed. He never plays with his toys, I try treating whenever he goes near but it’s seldom. He only wags his tail when I take him outside for walks or feed him, other than that he walks with his head low and tail down and sleeps. I pet him a lot, tummy rubs etc but he just seems totally disinterested, he only engages with me if i have food or a walk. Sorry if this sounds ridiculous I am just wondering if he likes me at all 😩😩😩

I have read about the 3 days/weeks/months timing, but worried he hates his new life and I also would like to get some professional training support, but don’t want to overwhelm. 

How long have you had him? My girl has been with us 2 months and she is pretty much as you described. If I'm really lucky she might snuggle into me little while I pet her but that's about as affectionate as she gets. Her behaviour is still changing so I don't know if this is her 'normal' or just a part of setting in.

You are lucky your boy tail wags, I have to go on posture and facial expressions/ears.

How long have you had him?    It takes time!   Your grey is probably overwhelmed with the changes that have occurred in his life after being adopted.   Some adoption groups recommend letting your grey stay in his crate so that he can observe his new surroundings and become familiar with them before interacting with his new world.   Let him learn on his terms.  Every grey is different and he may just need time to adjust.  That 3 days/weeks/months timing is often true- it's like getting a new dog every few months!   Before long you will see a friendly, happy boy who is ready for his new adventures!

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

And, some greys just never play with toys. We have basketsful that go untouched other than a chosen few by some, but not all, of the campers. You could offer a NylaBone or filled Kong to see if that type of toy is more to his liking, but again don't be discouraged if toys are just not his thing.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

2 hours ago, Onyfalk said:

How long have you had him? My girl has been with us 2 months and she is pretty much as you described. If I'm really lucky she might snuggle into me little while I pet her but that's about as affectionate as she gets. Her behaviour is still changing so I don't know if this is her 'normal' or just a part of setting in.

You are lucky your boy tail wags, I have to go on posture and facial expressions/ears.

Only 5 weeks!! Sorry I will add this. 

Adding to the chorus:  with some hounds, it just takes more time.  He may never be a bouncy, outgoing dog; on the other hand, in six months you may be wondering how to cope with all the indoor zoomies.  :)  

Since he is telling you he likes walks, that may be a good way to bond with him.  Lots and lots of long walks.  And if you contact your adoption group and find someone else with a hound that you could meet up and go on a walk together, that may help him feel that he won't have to spend the entire rest of his life alone amid friendly but alien species.  Greyhounds usually love being with other greyhounds.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

He's lived for four years in a certain way, and suddenly, he finds himself torn away from that life and thrust into a situation completely different and alien.  It's scary, full of loud scary noises and new scary things to deal with - both inside and outside! - plus, all the people he's known all his life have been taken away and new ones - ones he doesn't really trust yet - have been added in.  All his buddies, who he's likely been with since birth, are gone and he's living all alone with no dog friends for the first time in his life.  New schedules, new foods, new EV-ER-RY-THING.  

Five weeks is nothing.  Give him lots and lots of time and patience.  Patience and time.  In six months come back and let us know how he's doing.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My grey isn't very traditionally affectionate in the normal dog way either. He doesn't want cuddles or anything, but occasionally if I fuss him while he's lying down he'll whack me with his paw to say MORE PETS. :lol This is only after about 8 months of him being home though. Other than that, I'll get a waggy tail at walk time and when I come downstairs, with some bouncing around and the happy foot slappy dance. Greys definitely aren't like other dogs when it comes to this sort of thing, which is quite a stark difference next to my parents' border collie pup who's constantly wiggling his bum and wanting attention and fuss. But they'll let you know in their own way that they like you by generally being content and relaxed around you. :)

Greyhounds have a very subtle body language and when you get to know your hound you'll see that they don't need to be extroverts.

I've had Grace for nearly 3 years and she doesn't play with her toys, only wags her tail briefly when she thinks she's going to be fed or going for a walk but never comes for any fuss. It took her a couple of years to let me sit next to her head on the sofa without getting off, but sitting at the tail end was OK.

How do I know she likes me? By the expression on her face. She watches me with a relaxed expression on her face and likes to know where I am. She comes to me when something frightens her like fireworks or noisy children. She lets me brush her teeth, clean her ears etc. and she chatters her teeth, the equivalent of a cat purring, when she's getting an ear, belly, back rub.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

21 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

Greyhounds have a very subtle body language and when you get to know your hound you'll see that they don't need to be extroverts.

I've had Grace for nearly 3 years and she doesn't play with her toys, only wags her tail briefly when she thinks she's going to be fed or going for a walk but never comes for any fuss. It took her a couple of years to let me sit next to her head on the sofa without getting off, but sitting at the tail end was OK.

How do I know she likes me? By the expression on her face. She watches me with a relaxed expression on her face and likes to know where I am. She comes to me when something frightens her like fireworks or noisy children. She lets me brush her teeth, clean her ears etc. and she chatters her teeth, the equivalent of a cat purring, when she's getting an ear, belly, back rub.

Thank you for giving these examples! I am learning Basil’s body language and also still learning myself about just how much has changed for him, so this is all transition period and he will settle. 

One more vote for given him time. Of my current two, Petey settled in pretty much by day 3. Faith, it's been 2 months and we're still seeing her personality unfold and her confidence grow.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.