It's Early, But I Need A Dewey Fix - GRTB 2021 Discussion Thread

Time4ANap

GRTB Home Page

We are planning to go to Dewey this year if the COVID numbers are going in the right direction and the stars align.  I just looked and due to the current rental car shortage nationwide, rental cars are pricing out from roughly 600-over 1000 dollars per week.  I expect that to change continually until we go, but it's something to be aware of if you are flying in and need a rental.  Before I pay that for a rental I would fly in, buy a new car and drive it home to AZ afterward.  If prices are still like that, I will most likely borrow a car from one of my brothers who live in MD

So - who is going? I'm ready to sit on the beach at Camp Cocktail!  We are all way overdue!  

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

2 hours ago, Houndtime said:

I'll wait for you here.

Looking forward to seeing you! It feels like it's been forever. 

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

12 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

Looking forward to seeing you! It feels like it's been forever. 

It has been forever.  Len will be having another surgery on August 26th.  This time; knee replacement.  It will be his 4th surgery in two years, not counting the other two previous surgeries two years prior.  It has been a long road for him.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

3 hours ago, Houndtime said:

It has been forever.  Len will be having another surgery on August 26th.  This time; knee replacement.  It will be his 4th surgery in two years, not counting the other two previous surgeries two years prior.  It has been a long road for him.

Poor Len has been through enough.  I hope a new knee means that he might be able to join you at the vending site for a little while. 

2 hours ago, MP_the4pack said:

Me! (Raises hand)

I'm doing Mountain Hounds  and GIG too.

That's awesome, Mary Pat.  I feel like there should be a medal if you do the Trifecta! :lol  

I'm going and I can't wait to get back to the beach again!! I won't be bringing my Razzy because she is getting to old to travel, but my roommates will have dogs for me to borrow :) 

I'll also be giving a talk on Greyhound Amber Alert at the Convention Center. Looking forward to seeing everyone!! :gh_bow

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

• 5 weeks later...

Plane tickets purchased! Woo Hoo! 

Also - for anyone traveling Route 50 who isn't aware, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge is now a cashless toll. You are required to either use EZPass / IPass etc, or the toll facility will mail a bill to the address that your vehicle license is registered to. This isn't a big deal if using your own vehicle as you will just receive a video tolling bill in the mail if you don't have an EZ Pass in the car. (It's not a violation, just a bill for the toll.)

For those using rental cars, check the tolling options for your rental car company in advance.  Most of them charge a hefty administrative fee in addition to the actual toll.  I ordered an IPass from the Illinois Tollway to use in the rental car as Illinois does not charge additional monthly or quarterly  fees for out of state residents to have a transponder. The IPass will work anywhere on the EZPass network and there have been a few times it would have been convenient for us to have while traveling instead of getting stuck in a long line to pay cash at a toll plaza. 

Days to GRTB

The husband and I plan on attending GIG and GRtB this fall. 

Hopefully all goes well... I think the girls will really love the adventures!

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

I was just saying that I should make my motel reservations. :yay

I'll also be shamelessly trolling for someone to hold Mercury during the Dewey Goes Pink 5K.  This year, they sync up again. :yay

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

• 2 months later...
On 5/30/2021 at 8:39 AM, Mercsmom said:

I was just saying that I should make my motel reservations. :yay

I'll also be shamelessly trolling for someone to hold Mercury during the Dewey Goes Pink 5K.  This year, they sync up again. :yay

There’s a 5K? 

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

• 2 weeks later...

I got my flu shot today so that it would be effective for the flight from AZ to GRTB.  Does anyone know if this year's flu shot updates the tracking chip from the COVID shot? 

Also - Check out the GRTB site for this year's  GRTB T-Shirt if you didn't get the email.  Awesome shirt this year! 

2 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

I got my flu shot today so that it would be effective for the flight from AZ to GRTB.  Does anyone know if this year's flu shot updates the tracking chip from the COVID shot? 

Also - Check out the GRTB site for this year's  GRTB T-Shirt if you didn't get the email.  Awesome shirt this year! 

They are updating the chip in your next testing procedure.  Might take a while to find it.

On 8/22/2021 at 9:33 AM, 2greyhoundMINI said:

There’s a 5K? 

Dewey Goes Pink often lines up with GRTB.  I'm coming back from a summer of plantar fascitis and slowly working my way back to 3.1 miles.

My real concern is Mercury.  I might be able to leave him with the woman with whom I'm staying but I hate to impose.  I can pay for houndie sitting but he doesn't enjoy and just stands there waiting for me to retrieve him. :(

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 9:17 AM, Mercsmom said:

Dewey Goes Pink often lines up with GRTB.  I'm coming back from a summer of plantar fascitis and slowly working my way back to 3.1 miles.

My real concern is Mercury.  I might be able to leave him with the woman with whom I'm staying but I hate to impose.  I can pay for houndie sitting but he doesn't enjoy and just stands there waiting for me to retrieve him. :(

Poor Mercury!

I would probably do it since I’m there with the husband, but I will pass and keep the trip to just all about the hounds. 
Good luck getting back to running! I had a bad injury 5 years ago and took a year off running and I missed it a lot! 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard if there will be vendors at the Fire Dept this year?  I'm assuming there will be since it's pretty much a tradition, but just haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I'm not on Facebook so if such info is posted there I wouldn't see it.  Thanks. 

21 minutes ago, Time4ANap said:

Has anyone heard if there will be vendors at the Fire Dept this year?  I'm assuming there will be since it's pretty much a tradition, but just haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I'm not on Facebook so if such info is posted there I wouldn't see it.  Thanks. 

There are vendors in the firehouse.  I've gotten the info from my friend who runs it.  As of two weeks ago, she had four spaces available.  I don't really know how many vendors there are in the convention center.  Once we get the e-booklet, I could let you know.  Look for Houndtime Clocks/Zoom Doggies Coats in the convention center.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

2 minutes ago, Houndtime said:

There are vendors in the firehouse.  I've gotten the info from my friend who runs it.  As of two weeks ago, she had four spaces available.  I don't really know how many vendors there are in the convention center.  Once we get the e-booklet, I could let you know.  Look for Houndtime Clocks/Zoom Doggies Coats in the convention center.

Thanks Irene.  I look forward to seeing you.  We will be at the opening on Wednesday night.  Our E-Booklet arrived last night so I have the Convention Center vendor info. Just had not seen any mention of the firehouse this year.

As Miss Jan at CG says, "3 more sleeps" until we fly out. :banana

I didn’t realize there would be vendors in the firehouse! 
That is exciting. 

I can’t wait for this… first time at GRtB for us with hounds, and staying a few nights! 

2 hours ago, 2greyhoundMINI said:

I didn’t realize there would be vendors in the firehouse! 
That is exciting. 

I can’t wait for this… first time at GRtB for us with hounds, and staying a few nights! 

There are usually a few people vending from hotel rooms and private homes/garages around Dewey as well. Check the E-Book for ads from some of those vendors showing their locaiton. The multiple locations thing goes back to the days of the original GRTB when some vendors operated from hotels and houses and the tradition carries on.  Over the years, some have stuck with those locations from the old days, so it's kind of fun to ride around and go place to place in Dewey to find those vendors. The "official" GRTB event is at the Convention Center. The other locations are other groups of people doing their own thing but at the end of the day, regardlese of group affiliation - it's all about the hounds. 

Since it's your first year, take the dogs to the Ice Cream Social on Friday evening in Dewey at the Adams Oceanfront Hotel. It's always a great time and supports Nittany Greyhounds. 

If you see someone wearing this button with Rocket's picture on it - it's either me or DW.  Say hi!

3zZpUbIb.jpg

Edited by Time4ANap
werds are hard

Thx! Was looking to do the ice cream social! 
And hopefully I will see that button :)