Does Drontal make your hound freak out?

No reactions here, and I routinely dose my two because they do NOT practice "catch and release" with the wild critters who make the mistake of entering the back yard.  Does your girl have reactions to anything else?  Can your vet recommend an alternative?  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

28 minutes ago, bvroman said:

No other reactions to anything else (so far) - very strange. I plan to discuss with our vet. Drontal with Adv Multi is very effective for hookworms so I hope we can work something out. 

it sounds like you are doing the Hookworm Protocol.  We noticed that one of the hounds was a little more hyper with the Drontal Plus on the day we gave it, but it wasn't at a level that caused issues, she was just awake and all over the place, mostly hyper.   We ended up spacing out the doses between the two drugs to help with that.  You need to remember that you are throwing a lot of chemicals into the system in a short time period, so it may be more of an interaction between the two than an issue with the Drontal Plus itself. Let your vet know what is going on and see if you need to space out the administration of the meds to a longer interval between doses. 

The protocol does work.  We spaced it out due to our girls being seniors when they arrived (11) and it took each a year to be completely rid of the hookworms. It was time well spent as they are both doing so much better now that the hookworms are gone. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Yes, I agree with you that this protocol will work. I should have clarified that we gave only the Drontal Plus - 2 weeks later we applied the Advantage Multi. Our hound got back to “normal” the next day after Drontal but her appetite was off for a couple days. At least knowing your hound was a little more hyper makes me think it’s just a limited reaction.

My first thought was that her stomach was upset. The fact that she was off of her food for a few days lines up with that. Are you going the Drontal with food? Maybe also ask your vet about trying something like Pepcid or oral Cerenia to see if that stop the behavior?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Drontal made ours throw up quite often.  I seem to recall he was also hyper, then would sleep for hours.  However, the Drontal with Advantage Multi is what finally cured his hookworm infestation after many months.  

We broke the daily dose into multiple doses and gave throughout the day to help him keep it down.  This mitigated the stomach upset and hyperactivity.

It works well, but it's a tough pill to swallow as they say.

16 hours ago, bvroman said:

Yes, I agree with you that this protocol will work. I should have clarified that we gave only the Drontal Plus - 2 weeks later we applied the Advantage Multi. Our hound got back to “normal” the next day after Drontal but her appetite was off for a couple days. At least knowing your hound was a little more hyper makes me think it’s just a limited reaction.

we will be giving our Rick his first dose of Drontal Plus on the 11th (had 7 days of Panacur, finished on 12/3) so hope he doesn't have any kind of reaction.  We've given it in the past to our angels Larry and Zeke with no reactions but you never know.  We just got him on 11/13 and our vet is trying the "standard" approach for the hooks first but said 90% of the time they are too resistant now and we'll need to do the Prison Protocol as well.  The original PP says to give both Advantage Multi and Drontal Plus at the same time but our vet, like yours, prefers to space them out and give one every two weeks instead of both simultaneously -- which I'm glad for, that's just TOO much at once.

I hope your boy is ok with the meds going further, and I'll keep an eye out for any reaction here (he too, will be 4.5 on 12/30).

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

bayer and the emergency vet both said, "it can't be the drontal plus" but lettuce had a 105 degree fever of unknown origin and signs of inflamed kidneys and spleen- a day after administering her drontal plus. the e vets both asked if she got into raisins, grapes or chocolate- NOPE! just drontal plus. this was the second worming with it. the first time she was lethargic for a couple of days. 

when i need to worm her again i'm insisting on no drontal even if it takes longer on another wormer.

do report your dog's reaction to bayer.

Edited by cleptogrey