Kitchen remodel - How do we handle this?

I have a 9 y/o female greyhound named Charming. She is fairly set in her ways at this point, especially with her morning routine. But starting Monday morning we will have a crew start work on a complete renovation of our kitchen. I will have to make sure that Charming is upstairs during the time they are working (my 22 y/o son will be home to take care of her, as he takes online classes). They are supposed to arrive between 7 and 7:30, so right during her morning walk time, but then she comes back and normally would have breakfast in the kitchen. I'm thinking I will need to lure her upstairs and she will have to eat up there and then turn her over to my son before I leave for work. I'm going to block off the stairs completely and hopefully she will be content to hang out in my son's room, but at least this will give her the option of using other upstairs rooms. (She sometimes likes to sleep in my room depending on where the sun is coming in.)

Any other suggestions to help her get through this highly disruptive time? I'm a bit worried I will have a hard time getting her to go upstairs with all the activity and fun, new people to meet/pester. She loves everybody! Even her bio when we adopted her 7 years ago said: "She wants to be where the people are." So that is what I will be dealing with. Thanks in advance for any help.

Becky

Change her routine now. Ideally you would have done it sooner, but at least this weekend follow the routine you'll follow starting on Monday, including feeding her upstairs. And have some extra special treats ready to go to keep her busy - bully sticks, stuffed frozen Kongs, food dispensing toys, etc.

I would also consider noise machines, air purifiers, fans, etc. to drown out some of the noise. If she's sound sensitive at all, this could make it much worse and if she's not, you don't want her to become noise sensitive. 

Jealous of your kitchen redo. Mine is so far down the road. Hope you'll share before and after photos in off topic.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

You won't have to do something as drastic but in 2013 when I had almost every area of my house remodeled, I rented a nearby place through VRBO for 3 months.

I'm having my en suite bathroom redone starting Feb 10 and plan to close off both doors to my enclosed porch (door from the kitchen and door from my bedroom) for Sheba and I to hang out for the duration, 1-2 weeks max I hope. There's a dog door to the fenced side yard and I'll tell the contractor and workers to not enter the enclosed porch or open the gate to the side yard under any circumstances.

Good luck with your remodel and acclimating Charming to the new routine.

I would emphasize the gate issue with your contractor, but DO NOT rely on that person to spread the word.  Padlock the gate shut if your dog can get out there unsupervised.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

9 minutes ago, greysmom said:

I would emphasize the gate issue with your contractor, but DO NOT rely on that person to spread the word.  Padlock the gate shut if your dog can get out there unsupervised.

This.  If at all possible, get a padlock installed on the gate and make them come to you if they need it opened.  Otherwise, telling them will go in one ear and out the other. 

2 hours ago, Reebokabec said:

I have a 9 y/o female greyhound named Charming. She is fairly set in her ways at this point, especially with her morning routine. But starting Monday morning we will have a crew start work on a complete renovation of our kitchen. I will have to make sure that Charming is upstairs during the time they are working (my 22 y/o son will be home to take care of her, as he takes online classes). They are supposed to arrive between 7 and 7:30, so right during her morning walk time, but then she comes back and normally would have breakfast in the kitchen. I'm thinking I will need to lure her upstairs and she will have to eat up there and then turn her over to my son before I leave for work. I'm going to block off the stairs completely and hopefully she will be content to hang out in my son's room, but at least this will give her the option of using other upstairs rooms. (She sometimes likes to sleep in my room depending on where the sun is coming in.)

Any other suggestions to help her get through this highly disruptive time? I'm a bit worried I will have a hard time getting her to go upstairs with all the activity and fun, new people to meet/pester. She loves everybody! Even her bio when we adopted her 7 years ago said: "She wants to be where the people are." So that is what I will be dealing with. Thanks in advance for any help.

Becky

NeylasMom nailed the advice.  Drowning out the sound will help a great deal, but make sure they let you know when there will be loud banging or power tools used that have more of a boom sound. That will be a good time to take your pup for another walk. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Do lock the gate.  I didn't lock mine and, sure enough, my dog got out.  When I got home, she was sleeping soundly on her bed and I probably wouldn't have known of her adventure except my housebound neighbor told me it was very entertaining to watch all the men on the crew trying to catch the escapee.  When confronted, the contractor confessed to the mistake and said he now realized why I made such a big deal over them not using that gate.

Good luck! I've been postponing my kitchen remodel due to Lila (13 1/3!). It really would be too much for her, she's always been a sensitive girl.

And yes, I'd love to see before and after pictures!

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

In the past my dogs always met the workers. Being as social and curious as they were it was easier to let them meet them then put then in their room with a gate up. 

It has been my responsibility to make sure the gates were properly closed when workers left. I would also take them out for their walk thru the chaos. My house is tiny.

All of my dogs have been bomb proof since they have been exposed to everything and then some. Even when ac1 ton limb from a tree fell on the house directly over where they were sleeping. Yes, they ran to the other end of the house. We freaked out as well. When the arborist were doing their clean up they just hung out. There were major trucks, cranes, saws, choppers going. 

Dogs are resilient. And don't  hide her.

Thanks for all of the replies! I had no problem luring Charming upstairs this morning and she seemed fine eating her breakfast up there. But she is on to me now, so it may be harder tomorrow. I checked in with my son and, although there is a lot of banging today (today and tomorrow are the demo days, so it might not be quite as bad from here on out), she was doing fine. I think my son is the one that might go crazy!