Brushing teeth

I was told by the adoption group once my newly adopted retired racer has gone through her dental cleaning (under anesthesia) I will have to brush her teeth once a week.

What do grey parents do?

How do you brush?

What do you brush with?

Do you really do it once a week or less or more frequently?

Is there anything else I should know?

My baby's teeth are "like new"....I'm absolutely shocked at what a difference the cleaning (while under) has done. I'm really impressed even though I was sobbing and horrified while leaving her there to be put under for surgery and dental cleaning....beyond stressful day....but what's the best way to care for them in the case of greys? : )

I was told by the adoption group once my newly adopted retired racer has gone through her dental cleaning (under anesthesia) I will have to brush her teeth once a week.

What do grey parents do?

How do you brush?

What do you brush with?

Do you really do it once a week or less or more frequently?

Is there anything else I should know?

My baby's teeth are "like new"....I'm absolutely shocked at what a difference the cleaning (while under) has done. I'm really impressed even though I was sobbing and horrified while leaving her there to be put under for surgery and dental cleaning....beyond stressful day....but what's the best way to care for them in the case of greys? : )

I don't think once a week is enough.  I'd aim for daily and deal with the guilt if you miss a day here and there.   Did they give you information about how to introduce your girl to brushing?

She'll need to be introduced to the whole idea gradually, and you'll want to wait maybe a week after the dental before starting that process.  Brushing makes a huge difference - my hounds go years between dentals.

I use a regular people soft tooth brush, and CET toothpaste, which has enzymes that are supposed to be helpful.

Brush daily. Once food has set on the teeth for 24 hours, it's plaque. A friend of mine has a blog post with info on toothbrush, toothpaste, and a video. http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogspot.com/search/label/Teeth

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Yes brush daily with a very soft toothbrush. Use one made from silicon rubber made for dogs or use a child's soft brush. I also use an enzyme toothpaste (Logic oral hygiene gel) it's a bit more expensive but seems to work well.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I try daily but we occasionally forget before he’s fallen asleep so then I leave it. I use a soft bristle brush with a larger and smaller head (the smaller head is meant to be for the back teeth but I’ve never used it). Toothpaste: beaphar, which is easy to get on amazon and which Buddy really likes the taste of - I give him a bit extra between the sides of his mouth as a treat. I also use the beaphar tooth gel in the mornings, which you spread on his teeth at the junction with his gums, and which he licks around his teeth. Buddy’s teeth were pretty bad when we got them but they seem to be improving. And finally...dental sticks with eucalyptus which he loves but which are gone in about five seconds!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Y'all are motivating me.  I hate the process because Mercury hates the process.  I've tried chicken flavored toothpaste, using the enzyme gel (thinking it'll do some of the work if I give the teeth a lick and a promise).  I give frozen chicken feet when I can get them, which is not often.

The video is excellent and I am taking all your suggestions to heart.  Thanks.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

I try to brush my 3 hounds teeth every day. I certainly do miss days and they do not really enjoy it. Lots of tongue action and some bleeding of gums. If I see blood I stop brushing for that session. Poor souls. They immediately get a small treat afterwards. For that reason alone they usually come running when I pull out the dog toothpaste and brush.:D 

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Once a week?  Yikes.  Your dogs teeth should be treated as your own which involves daily brushing.  After 24 hours plaque will form on the teeth and if not removed tartar will form.  Start slowly-even just brushing a tooth or two until your dog accepts the brushing.  I’ve gotten my dogs used to using a sonicare and even flossing.  Good oral health is so important to overall health.  Brush, brush, brush ;-)

According to Dr. Katherine E. Queck, Fellow, Academy of Veterinary Dentistry they should be brushed EVERYDAY and she recommends using Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Dog & Cat Toothpastebecause she said she was aware of a study that showed its effectiveness- that it actually carries oxygen below the gum line.  She also likes Ora-Vet gel. I use Ora-Vet gel on 1 dog and brush the other dogs teeth and also squirt on Petz-Life Oral Care spray occasionally because I know from personal experience it surprisingly is also very effective. She also said if you use the Ora-Vet then not to brush afterwards or you would brush it off. This regimen keeps my dogs' teeth beautiful, thank God.