I need a quick answer

This is about my greyhound girl Remington, a 7 yr old blk/wht girl in otherwise great health.  She cut her left foot, in between the pads and it’s deep.  I didn’t want doc to put her under general anesthesia and since Remi is so good she thinks she can shoot lidocaine in it as a local anesthesia and do a quick 3 or 4 stitches.  She gave me a sedative pill to give Remi and I’m supposed to take her back at 11:30 for doc to do the local and the stitching.  But Dr Scott isn’t there, it’s Dr. Heidl deciding this and she isn’t as greyhound savvy as Dr Scott.  So I was trying to find out if it’s a safe route to take, before I take her back over.

Have you known of greys having local with lidocaine?  

Edited by Pawsdedeux

Larry just had to have the same thing done a week ago.  He had split the webbing years ago and somehow split the flesh in between the outer and next in toe on his back left foot.  It required 8 stitches and she just used a local.  How she got the stitches in there is still amazing to me.  They are the dissolvable kind so I have to keep a bootie on it at night so he can't lick and remove the stitches himself (14 days to dissolve, we are on day 8 only.... )

I just put a plastic sandwich baggie secured with a small rubber band on his foot when he goes out to pee (leash walked) to keep it clean and dry.

good luck with your girl!

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Thanks for the info, Raineysmom.  I put a soft bootie on it as soon as it happened, but it got damp from the dew in the grass when we went over this morning to the doc.  I’ll try the plastic bag idea after she’s done.

If she's calm and will lay still then a local is a perfectly fine option for a simply repair like this.

In addition to the plastic bag (your vet might have an empty IV bag you can use), you can also use Glad Press and Seal to keep her foot dry.   It's cheap and fast to put on and take off just for quick potty trips.  It won't stand up to walks or longer outsoor sessions though.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We are back home.  8 stitches with a local, and $325, and now I have to keep the paw dry and free of gnawing untilJune 5th.  I guess all we will be able to do in Gatlinburg is sit on the deck and look at the mountains.  🤨🙂

But could have been worse.  I’m happy she’s done with the ouchie local shot!  I have abx for 7 days and tramadol for any big obvious discomfort.  She’ll get the stitches out on the 5th.

Thanks everyone who helped here, thank you very much. 

Edited by Pawsdedeux

An IV bag is a bit heavier plastic than a sandwich bag, if, your vet can give you one or two.  Also, Press and Seal makes a good disposable covering, too.  As long as you are not walking on cement.  Good luck.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Careful how you secure any covering and keep checking it's not rubbing.

When Grace had an operation to remove the webbing between the toes on one of her front feet I used one of my old socks held on by microporous tape just above her ankle around the sock and covered with a poo bag to waterproof it and another sock to give her grip if she had to go out.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Sorry I didn't see this in time, but yes, lidocaine is fine, good choice. I have had difficulty getting a deep webbing cut to heal (even with extensive stitching), but it eventually "healed" with a permanent split in the webbing and the dog retained full function and no pain, so even if it doesn't heal up in a pretty way, try not to worry. And yes, keep a really careful lookout for sores in between the toes.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.