Gabapentin

Is it safe to use the human Gabapentin that I used to take (100mg) on my dog? The vet said it might help with his back issues, but wouldn't commit to an answer yes/no on the human vs dog Gabapentin issue (apparently against the law for her to answer that). I still have some 100 pills and would love to save some $$ (and not waste medication), but only if safe.

Just snooped around the internet and xylitol is mentioned. It appears that it's in the liquid form of Gabapentin. Is there any way of knowing whether it's in the pill form as well?

Can you call the company and ask? I honestly have no idea if this is possible, but might be worth a try.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Usually, xylitol is used to sweeten/flavor liquid meds, especially those that must be given to children. (Gabapentin is useful in preventing seizures.)

Gapabentin capsules contain a powder, and I've never run into xylitol in them, but you could call your pharmacist to check.

When my dogs needed gabapentin, my vet wrote a script that I filled at Walgreen's.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

And then I read something like this and it makes me wonder...

https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/5f8qy-three-does-gabapentin-kill-dog-within-48-hours.html

All kind of confusing. I tried to nail down a phone number for the manufacturer, but it was bought by some other company 2 years ago and I'm sure there's no way to trace that back in any reliable way.

Info at the link below. Xylitol is only a concern in liquid form or if the prescription was compounded using a product containing xylitol. Gabapentin capsules and tablets do not contain it.

https://atwork.avma.org/2017/05/30/eliminate-xylitol-from-canine-prescriptions/

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I've just started Rocket on Gabapentin this week. He somehow ended up with a lumbar strain while doing zoomies in the back yard, or slipped when he came in. I'm not sure what happened since I stepped away for 30 seconds to fill his water bowl, He was already on Tramadol once a day for some leg pain, but the Gabapentin seems to be making a difference. We are introducing it slowly and lowering the Tramadol dose a little at a time since he's been on it for a while.

He could barely get up and down on Sunday night and Monday. By Tuesday night / Wednesday morning, he had started roaching again after starting the Gabapentin. I'm also pretty sure that he popped his low back into place on Monday night while laying down, as he let out a yelp as he lowered on to the bed, and then was moving much better. I guess he went to the Pawmer School of Chiropractic. :bgeorge

Sometimes a boy forgets he's almost 13 and has to do some zoomies.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I get my dog drugs, including Gabapentin, at my pharmacy. It's the same rx.

The pharmacists are always amazed when I can provide actual birth dates for each of the "patients" :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Fyi, you can always Google the pill form and the number on the pill, ie. "Capsule 116" and it will pull up the information including drug, dosage, other ingredients, etc.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Fyi, you can always Google the pill form and the number on the pill, ie. "Capsule 116" and it will pull up the information including drug, dosage, other ingredients, etc.

Brilliant idea. I did that and indeed, no xylitol, but mannitol, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for dogs, right?

The dosing range is very wide, so a lot of the amount depends in the purpose. Most will start out low at @100mg twice a day due to some dogs having trouble with sedation until they become acclimated to the drug, which can take a couple days. But amounts can go as high as 300mg (or more) every 6 hours for extreme pain, even for 73 lb girls.

Dr Couto recommends dosing every 6 to 8 hours instead of the suggested twice a day as greyhounds metabolize this drug faster than other breeds. You don't want to have a big dip in pain relief at the end of every dosing period so dosing may need to be adjusted - either more mgs or closer together - once you have her on it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The dosing range is very wide, so a lot of the amount depends in the purpose. Most will start out low at @100mg twice a day due to some dogs having trouble with sedation until they become acclimated to the drug, which can take a couple days. But amounts can go as high as 300mg (or more) every 6 hours for extreme pain, even for 73 lb girls.

Dr Couto recommends dosing every 6 to 8 hours instead of the suggested twice a day as greyhounds metabolize this drug faster than other breeds. You don't want to have a big dip in pain relief at the end of every dosing period so dosing may need to be adjusted - either more mgs or closer together - once you have her on it.

That's very helpful, thanks.

That's very helpful, thanks.

I started him on twice 100mg per day. It seems it's a see-how-it-goes kind of approach, since nobody can say exactly what an individual dog might need? I'll stay on the 2x/100mg for 2-3 days. If there's no change, should I up it, say, by 100mg every few days (or more slowly)? Should I go to 3 times a day in a few days? I just don't want to give him too much... the vet is clearly struggling also to give me clear instructions. It may not be possible, maybe?

How do people give pills every 6 hours? How does that work at night? I'm in bed trying to sleep from 9:15pm until 6:30am...

Honestly I would just dose it twice a day for a while and see how it goes. I've only ever dosed any med every 6 hrs for dogs with end stage cancer. A single person cannot maintain that long term imo. If,you have a second person on a different schedule its easier. But its really not necessary. 6 hrs is the half life. That doesnt mean it is out of the system in 6 hrs.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."