I Think I've Found My People

Guest archerthepuppo

Guest archerthepuppo

Good morning!

My name is Allison Hopkins and I have a Greyhound/Shepherd mix pup named Archer (who will be turning three in June).

I adopted Archer from a shelter when he was just four months old, not knowing much about Greyhounds at all, all I knew was I loved this little animal.

He has turned out to be the best dog I've ever encountered. He is incredibly smart, stubborn, and loving :) we like to call him our little maniac!

My boyfriend and I are now considering getting a friend for Archer! I have found a woman who is having a litter of Greyhound pups soon and am very excited to be going through the process of getting one of the little babies!

Along with the new littlest addition, we are wanting to move Archer on to a raw diet and take him off the kibble so we can keep our little man healthy and happy for as long as we can.

I wanted to get more information and find other Greyhound lovers and figured the best way would be to join a little (or not so little, haha) community to discuss and share stories with!

I look forward to learning more about these crazy, amazing animals and hearing the stories you guys have to share as well!

-Allison

Hi, Allison! :welcome2 to the cult of the Greyhound and the GT family. We look forward to getting to know you, Archer and your new pup. Post pictures, please, and feel free to ask questions.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Welcome from the Netherlands :wave

Do you have a picture of Archer? I have a Galgo x Shepherd mix and I wonder what Archer looks like :)

How fun that you're getting a Greyhound puppy! They're a handful, but adorable and it's great watching them grow up.

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.sighthoundgoodies.com

anne_sas3gt_bbuveb.jpg

Welcome from Germany. And like AnneGTS wrote...

We love to see pictures of Archer and of course of his little greyhound friend, too... as soon as he has arrived.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I have a greyhound/coonhound mix (probably) and got him when he was between 1 and 2. He was a stray at a pound. A great dog, but man -- the greyhound speed, the prey drive x2, without the famed greyhound laziness -- zowie! He started to slow down a little when he was 6. :lol And yes, we'd love to see pictures.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest archerthepuppo

Archer is definitely a goof, and like you all said - man is he quick! We once had to mend a scratched pad on his front paw due to him chasing after a small rabbit, lucky for the rabbit he got away!

I am very excited about the crazy ball of energy that should hopefully be home with us come July. We are currently in the process of buying a house that has a HUGE backyard with a wooden (hooray!) fence.

We once fostered a small pup that was some kind of terrier mix until she found a home and Archer was absolutely smitten! He would curl up around her and nudge her while she was standing to kind of topple her. He is definitely in need of a little buddy!

Once I figure out how to add some pictures I will!

Thank you guys for the warm welcome!

Welcome!! I don't have a grey yet, just working on getting as much information as i can.

I was reading Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies last night and they said finding greyhound puppies that are not already destined for racing is hard to find. What a lucky thing you found them!

Alyse with Archer (KB's Harper)

Guest archerthepuppo

Welcome!! I don't have a grey yet, just working on getting as much information as i can.

I was reading Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies last night and they said finding greyhound puppies that are not already destined for racing is hard to find. What a lucky thing you found them!

I know! I have been on the hunt for a while now and when I found this sweet lady she said she is trying to make sure the pups are going to companion homes! She would prefer they go to a loving home where they are a member of the family :beatheart

She has a pretty lengthy process of getting in line for the pups including several questionnaires and pictures of the backyard and such to ensure the pups will have enough room (since we all know greys and their love of zumies)

I have a greyhound/coonhound mix (probably) and got him when he was between 1 and 2. He was a stray at a pound. A great dog, but man -- the greyhound speed, the prey drive x2, without the famed greyhound laziness -- zowie! He started to slow down a little when he was 6. :lol And yes, we'd love to see pictures.

Luckily Archer has quite a bit of the grey-laze! He is a huge cuddlebug and will stuff his nose under your arm faster than you can blink!

I have installed a few cameras around my house for security, and one is in his "room" (basically a huge open room, with a glassdoor to the backyard, with his big bed and toys and such) and ALL he does all day is lay in his bed in front of the glassdoors and sleep

Hi there! I'm piping in because we got our old Greyhound girl as a puppy as well. She was an Oops puppy. We got her at 4 months old (but chose her out when she was 2 days old!) She will turn 12 in June.

Congratulations. Be prepared for a lot of work. A Greyhound that has not had the track experience (read: training) is much like any other dog, just faster.

Get prepared for a cuteness that might look at you like this, but can act a lot different ;)

30707553_743792692484134_257907273963772

This is her just a couple of months ago, she's at the front. She's all grey now.

28951020_728558994007504_616505262139768

Look forward to pictures of your pup!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest archerthepuppo

Hi there! I'm piping in because we got our old Greyhound girl as a puppy as well. She was an Oops puppy. We got her at 4 months old (but chose her out when she was 2 days old!) She will turn 12 in June.

Congratulations. Be prepared for a lot of work. A Greyhound that has not had the track experience (read: training) is much like any other dog, just faster.

Get prepared for a cuteness that might look at you like this, but can act a lot different ;)

30707553_743792692484134_257907273963772

This is her just a couple of months ago, she's at the front. She's all grey now.

28951020_728558994007504_616505262139768

Look forward to pictures of your pup!

Your sweet girl is so beautiful! I loooove brindles!

Archer was pretty quick, luckily he is also a very skeptical little thing haha

I am hoping this pup will give my dog a bit of his own medicine in the chasing department!