Greyhound Whining

Hi everyone,

I've had my 2yr old greyhound for just over three weeks now. Monday to Thursday he comes to work with me, i usually put him in his crate around 11/11.30pm for bedtime. He usually wakes up around 7.30am each day to be let out to go to the toilet, I then give him his breakfast around 7.45/8am each day. On the weekends i do this then shut him in the living room using a baby gate. I then try to go back to sleep - sometimes he'll whine just a little bit then go back to bed again, however recently after i've gone back to bed he'll whine and howl intermittently for 5/10 minuets at a time each hour... I've tried just ignoring it but he doesn't really seem to settle. Is there anyway I can get him to settle again in the mornings? Should I put him back in his crate after breakfast? I want to avoid him sleeping in my bedroom with me as thats where my cats sleep and i don't trust my new hound completely around the cats unsupervised (yet).

My partner also works 12 hour shifts so sleep is really important!

I've got a dap diffuser but it doesn't seem to be helping...

He's on antibiotics at the moment so i don't know if that would cause him any discomfort? Please help - is this just a settling in issue or will I never be able to sleep in on weekends again!?

Thanks! :)

So he sleeps in the crate in another room over night without problems? Is there something you can do to show him its not a weekday? for example, my guys get a crunchy treat as soon as I get out of bed on weekends. I'll drink coffee and wake up while my guys hang out in the living room with me. This is very different from our weekday schedule. he might be confused as to why this is happening. you might have to give up your weekends for a while until he adjusts. try hanging out with him in the living room.

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

He doesn't understand the change in scheduling, and doesn't want to be left alone. He will probably get used to things in time. Or you can just go back to sleep with him in the living room.

If you really need to go back to bed in the bedroom, have him wear his muzzle and take him with you. This kind of limited exposure between him and the cats will help them get used to each other, as well. Make sure the cats can get in and out easily - you can set the baby gate up a few inches off the floor - while keeping him inside. Make him a nice comfy bed, and see how it goes.

You can also try putting him back in his crate, but I think that will not go over well.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

He doesn't understand the change in scheduling, and doesn't want to be left alone. He will probably get used to things in time. Or you can just go back to sleep with him in the living room.

If you really need to go back to bed in the bedroom, have him wear his muzzle and take him with you. This kind of limited exposure between him and the cats will help them get used to each other, as well. Make sure the cats can get in and out easily - you can set the baby gate up a few inches off the floor - while keeping him inside. Make him a nice comfy bed, and see how it goes.

You can also try putting him back in his crate, but I think that will not go over well.

:nod:nod:nod

He wants to be with you.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm brand new to this too, but I was thinking back in the crate would help him know it's time to sleep. Do you put him in the crate when he's home alone or do you baby gate him in the living room? If he's only in the crate for sleeping, then back in the crate might help.

Or could you try just not getting up early on the weekend in the first place? Percy goes in his crate around 9:30 and gets out around 7:30. Maybe just sleep in to begin with.

My dog will sleep in past 8am if he's wearing his fleece jammies! But I doubt he would have in the first few months of adjusting. If you've had your grey 3 weeks, he's only experienced 6 weekend days and 15 work days. He probably just needs time and a little work in trying to find the best way to set up your weekend.

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

If you absolutely cannot have him in your room muzzled per greysmom's suggestion, you can always make a nice frozen kong for him to work on while you go back to sleep :)

"Sleeping in" for me is like 7:00 AM on weekends, if I'm lucky :lol My guys kinda get that weekends are different, because I don't leave the house at 5:30 AM, but they still strongly believe that they should be fed and walked at the same time 7 days a week. So on weekends, DH feeds them and lets me sleep in briefly. They want walks no later than 7, though I get up and make them wait until I've had coffee, because I'm sadistic like that.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire