Dentals For Seniors

I know this has been discussed many times before, so I'll try to be succinct.

Both of my girls are now medically considered seniors. Nova will be 9 and Luna 11 this spring. They both went in for their senior blood panels (my vet does a discount in January) on Friday, and the results look alright. I'd like to get them in for dentals this month, as they're also discounted for Pet Dental Month.

I brush both dogs teeth every night as a part of our bedtime routine. Nova has always had problematic teeth, so this will be a typical cleaning for her. Luna always had great teeth and gums until a few months ago. I have noticed that her gums are receding substantially in some areas, and her dental will likely involve extractions to help maintain the overall health of her mouth.

Putting greyhounds under anesthesia is always concerning, but I am especially worried as they are getting older. My question for you all is, have you used a different anesthesia protocol or different procedure in your older hounds?

Thanks in advance!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Val is 9.5 and has typical greyhound teeth, bad. Or really, her teeth are ok, but her gums are bad. She had a dental in November, a few extractions (8, I think) and I just used her regular grey savy vet and normal protocol. Conner is 12.9 and had a much needed dental in August. For him, I went to a specialty dentist and paid the extra bucks to have an anesthesiologist present during the whole procedure to monitor him. I think it really depends on their overall health.

Rocket had his previous dental at age 10 using normal protocols. Nothing special needed. As it turned out he only needed a cleaning and a tiny bit of scaling. No extractions, and that was his first dental since he came to us at age 3. He had never needed one before and always had great teeth like no other greyhound I've heard of. There were no issues with the knock out juice.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

A senior in good overall health should be fine under a normal (greyhound sensitive) anesthesia procedure. I would definitely talk with my vet about specific expectations and concerns, and make sure everyone is on the same page.

Yucky gums and teeth can be as bad or worse physically as having the anesthesia, IMO. They can affect a dog's whole body, and really need to be attended to as soon as possible.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Misty had a dental cleaning at age 13 1/2 and was fine! I was really worried because of her age. Just make sure your vet is aware that greyhounds can be extra sensitive. She felt much better after the cleaning and I believe it helped her eat well and be healthier. Good luck with the cleaning!

Thank you all for your reassuring messages. I am positive that I am overthinking everything and worrying more than is necessary. But, we love our hounds, it's what we do.

I called and made an appointment today. Both hounds will go in for their dentals on Feb. 15. The date is perfect, as I am off on the 15, and will have a long weekend for us all to hang out and recover. I had a nice, long chat with my vet on the phone today. She was understanding of my concerns and feels confident in the procedure. Hopefully there won't be too many extractions required!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Just before he came here, Seamie, age 10.4, had two dentals two weeks apart. I know, omg, but they couldn't get everything done during the first proc. Then he was closing in on his 13th b'day when he had another dental for a few bad toofers that were extracted. He had no issues with any of his procs.

Let us know when Nova and Luna are home and recovering, they'll be fine :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My first vet always said old age isn't a disease. Since they're otherwise healthy and have good blood work, assuming your vet is using the most up-to-date anesthesia protocol, which she likely is if she's running senior panels, I'd go ahead--the possibility of dental problems causing health issues, or another health issue coming up later preventing a dental is more concerning, imo.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.