Grumpy Dog?

I want to preface this by saying that I know a growl is a growl and a form of communication that is pertinent only in the moment and does not need to be analyzed over and over again. I am mostly curious about how common is this and if this will tend to diminish with time (not a problem if not).

We call Cameron miss grumpy because she is, well, a grumpy dog sometimes. The best explanation I can give is I have never had/seen a dog that growls that often for small things. For example, we do not allow her on the sofa when we are sitting on it because she will growl if we move (sometimes not even toward her). Fixed it easy: no sofa when we are using it. We make her get down and that's it. Other example: the other day she was running around with my husband and she stopped abruptly which caused my husband to fall down (not on her, but close). She growled a bit. The other day, I pushed one of her toys out of the way, close to her bed (she was awake, I made sure of it) and she growled. So just a bunch of small things that happen on a somewhat regular basis (a lot of the growling seems to be directed at my husband, whom I have told many times to read up on dog body language as this is his first ever dog mostly after he does something that makes her uncomfortable).

We're not getting upset at things like that as we understand it's a way for her to express that in that moment, she is not comfortable and wants whatever is going on to stop. We also never reprimand it because we want to keep her expressing the growl when needed.

I am just wondering if this is just a thing of she is still settling in and it will eventually diminish or do we just have a grumpy dog (for lack of a better expression) that just has a low tolerance level for whatever annoys her?

My :heart Cameron (WW's Bull Fight) - Gotcha day: June 28, 2017

Little rascal Pirate (the cat) who wants to play with Cameron, but from a safe place. :heart

Sounds like she likes her personal space! Our grey will growl for similar things when she's tired and out of patience and wants to be left alone. I know a non-grey dog who has similar issues... She doesn't like people or other dogs near her unless it's on her terms. Another dog climbs into the bed next to her bed? Growls. Someone walks by her a little too close? Barks at you. Move a little to fast in her direction? More growls. Its all about that "personal bubble" for her (but then again, she's a bit of a drama queen). For Cameron though- if it's directed at your husband most often, it could be something she grows out of as they both learn the right cues and get more comfortable with each other.

Sounds like she likes her personal space! Our grey will growl for similar things when she's tired and out of patience and wants to be left alone. I know a non-grey dog who has similar issues... She doesn't like people or other dogs near her unless it's on her terms. Another dog climbs into the bed next to her bed? Growls. Someone walks by her a little too close? Barks at you. Move a little to fast in her direction? More growls. Its all about that "personal bubble" for her (but then again, she's a bit of a drama queen). For Cameron though- if it's directed at your husband most often, it could be something she grows out of as they both learn the right cues and get more comfortable with each other.

I figured as much (but it's good to hear that other people are reading this the same way). She is doing tons better than when we first got her. We could not even pet her if she was lying down, but now she will gladly accept scratches when lying down if she's in the mood (especially after a good walk outside). The bubble is definitely smaller than it was.

I just got to get my husband to brush up on doggie language and stop making the same mistakes. I also want to find them an activity for them to bond a bit more. She is very attached to me and less so to my husband (which is funny as she only wanted him when she adopted us).

Little rascal Pirate (the cat) who wants to play with Cameron, but from a safe place. :heart

Totally normal. Some dogs are just more vocal than others. In a way, it's a good thing because she feels comfortable enough to state her feelings. It's still very early days yet, and the behavior wil probably get less as she settles in and learns to trust in her new home.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sounds like you well understand the growl and are doing everything right. I know there are some dogs that just do it. What really made me realize this was a German Shepherd named K9 Kota who was a hero police dog! Turns out when his handler first paired up with him he 'growled.' Now this was an experienced K9 Handler and they thought for sure it was the 'warning' to a bite or stress etc and so they had some difficulties at first trying to bond and work together. However it eventually became apparent that in this unique case Kota was not stressed or threatening to bite, he just liked to growl! This was a breakthrough and they became a pawsome team because the handler just ignored the behavior since in Kota's case it didn't really mean anything. He just did it and no way was it meant as stress or a warning etc. It was like you said just like being a grump or grumbling or who knows he just did it. Later he fell through a ceiling while apprehending a criminal and badly broke his leg. His handler was still fighting with a 2nd criminal trying to apprehend that one and Kota heard it and knew what was going on. He somehow managed to get himself up and climbed a flight of stairs broken leg and all in order to return to his handler and get back into the fight and help her. He did eventually recover-as hero's sometimes do-and returned to work briefly but he never really regained his former health and had to retire. Anyway, he would 'growl' quite a bit but it really didn't mean anything because it wasn't a 'real' growl.

Mmhmm she likes her personal space, who can blame her as I'm sure a lot of us relate. Re: the almost tumble of your husband on her when she was running, actually most dogs might normally growl because what happened was totally unexpected. She is totally communicating with you, you are right. Stay attentive. :)

She also seems to be 6 months new, so she is still settling in and finding her place in the world.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

My dog is the same way.

He is a HUGE grump. Which is weird, because when he isn't grumpy, he is the sweetest, most loving boy ever! But he does growl a LOT for very silly (to me) reasons.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thanks all for your input! We'll see with time if we have a true grumpy dog or if her personal bubble will continue to shrink. In any case, we love to bits and that won't change anything. We do plenty of eye rolls though when we hear her growl for the silliest (to us) things. It's so fascinating seeing her personality change over the weeks and months!

Yup, some just growl about things to which other would hardly react. When you get to know the dog well you will learn whether it is serious or not. For the time being it is important to remember that a growl is a warning and in certain circumstances can be followed by more dangerous behaviour. I had a growler. He wasn't grumpy, he was't uncomfortable, and he wasn't afraid. He was in charge and he was telling you how it was going to be, and you cooperated or faced an escalation - sure miss him.

We've had ours for 12 weeks and I can report a similar experience. He is possessive of toys and food, so we just leave him be with those. He will growl on his bed...sometimes. At other times, you can lay next to him and if you stop petting him he'll paw you to continue. When he growls, I walk away and leave the room. He seems to be getting the fact that if he continues to growl it will be a lonely life. Usually, he will get up and follow to try and make amends.

Originally I was trying to correct his growl, but after some research it seems wiser to let him warn you. He has only escalated 2x.

When we walk, he either has no interest in other dogs or is wary of them. The few times I've let him "meet" other dogs he has growled, so we don't do that anymore.

I remind myself constantly that this dog was raised by dogs, so he sees things differently. Growling is just a way of communicating for him.

PS Behind his back we call him Grumpelstiltskin.

<<Grumpelstiltskin>> :lol

I had a hound who, after his confident, outgoing "sister" died and he was an only dog, started growling at new dogs we would meet on walks. I consulted with a trainer, whose theory was that he was uncomfortable being put in the up-front position -- before, his sister checked out all the new dogs for him. The trainer suggested I start doing this for him. I didn't sniff any dog butts :) but I did assume a confident air and walked him up to new dogs like I owned the sidewalk and not give him a choice but to assume he would be ok after I petted the dog (assuming the other dog was friendly, of course). Much to my surprise, this technique worked immediately.

However, I am nothing if not inconsistent. One of my current dogs has sleep startle, and when he first arrived home, also growled occasionally when human or other beast got too close to him on the communal sofa. I elected then not to confront or ban him from the sofa, but just to give him his space. Three years later, I am still giving him his space, but he has elected to make that space much smaller. Plus, after about a year he started changing position on the sofa to get closer for petting.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I love a dog who growls a lot. Much better than a dog who gives little or more subtle warnings. I would guess some of this will diminish with time, but you can also speed that process along by pairing the things that concern her with high value food. Just keep some super yummy treats around the house in jars that are out of doggy reach, or even better in your pockets. If you happen to need to pass by her while she's laying on her bed, toss a treat to her as you do so. Over time she will learn that you approaching her in her space predicts the good stuff and will learn to anticipate your approach rather than fear it.

For getting your husband to bond with your dog, two suggestions. Interactive food puzzles are a fun way to encourage bonding. I like the Trixie puzzles a lot (available on Amazon) as well as the Nina Ottosson puzzles. You want to make it easy for her at first, gradually making it harder to get the food as she improves. The other thing would be nosework classes. Not sure what's available in your area, but look for nosework or scent games classes that use only reward based methods. These classes teach the dog to work independently and can really build confidence and are set up so that the handler and dog are successful each time. Plus dogs are so great at using their noses that it's really cool to watch them evolve. Much better option than obedience training imo, which could lead to frustration if they aren't super successful right off the bat.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We've had ours for 12 weeks and I can report a similar experience. He is possessive of toys and food, so we just leave him be with those. He will growl on his bed...sometimes. At other times, you can lay next to him and if you stop petting him he'll paw you to continue. When he growls, I walk away and leave the room. He seems to be getting the fact that if he continues to growl it will be a lonely life. Usually, he will get up and follow to try and make amends.

Originally I was trying to correct his growl, but after some research it seems wiser to let him warn you. He has only escalated 2x.

When we walk, he either has no interest in other dogs or is wary of them. The few times I've let him "meet" other dogs he has growled, so we don't do that anymore.

I remind myself constantly that this dog was raised by dogs, so he sees things differently. Growling is just a way of communicating for him.

PS Behind his back we call him Grumpelstiltskin.

"Grumpelstiltskin" How cute! Sounds like a greyt guy:)

"Grumpelstiltskin" How cute! Sounds like a greyt guy:)

Thanks!

He is certainly unique. He has never attempted to get on any couch or bed. He doesn't roach. He has only attempted to counter surf once, which he stopped with a simple "No" from across the room. He will stand in the kitchen for an hour staring at his treat jar trying to move it with his mind. He only barks at 3AM, just to let us know he's still in the room. He is positive we have an outdoor greyhound behind the glass door. He runs 40 mph but walks approximately 0 mph.

I noticed he has the same owner (Ward) as amalexia's dog. Perhaps they are distant cousins on the grumpy side.

I love a dog who growls a lot. Much better than a dog who gives little or more subtle warnings. I would guess some of this will diminish with time, but you can also speed that process along by pairing the things that concern her with high value food. Just keep some super yummy treats around the house in jars that are out of doggy reach, or even better in your pockets. If you happen to need to pass by her while she's laying on her bed, toss a treat to her as you do so. Over time she will learn that you approaching her in her space predicts the good stuff and will learn to anticipate your approach rather than fear it.

For getting your husband to bond with your dog, two suggestions. Interactive food puzzles are a fun way to encourage bonding. I like the Trixie puzzles a lot (available on Amazon) as well as the Nina Ottosson puzzles. You want to make it easy for her at first, gradually making it harder to get the food as she improves. The other thing would be nosework classes. Not sure what's available in your area, but look for nosework or scent games classes that use only reward based methods. These classes teach the dog to work independently and can really build confidence and are set up so that the handler and dog are successful each time. Plus dogs are so great at using their noses that it's really cool to watch them evolve. Much better option than obedience training imo, which could lead to frustration if they aren't super successful right off the bat.

Thanks for the ideas! These are great.

It's funny you mention food puzzles and nosework as we've just started upping mental stimulation for Cameron (through various treat dispensing toys) and we want to add the puzzles in. I had also been looking at nosework classes for her. We have a trainer coming to our home to help us on certain things, but it is quite clear that she would do poorly in an obedience class. With the trainer, we have moved away from basic obedience and more towards things we feel are important (focus on us, go to your bed, emergency recall, etc.). Since she loves her snuffle mat, I've figured nosework might be fun for her and it turns out the trainer we use has nosework classes.

Thanks!

He is certainly unique. He has never attempted to get on any couch or bed. He doesn't roach. He has only attempted to counter surf once, which he stopped with a simple "No" from across the room. He will stand in the kitchen for an hour staring at his treat jar trying to move it with his mind. He only barks at 3AM, just to let us know he's still in the room. He is positive we have an outdoor greyhound behind the glass door. He runs 40 mph but walks approximately 0 mph.

I noticed he has the same owner (Ward) as amalexia's dog. Perhaps they are distant cousins on the grumpy side.

You've had him for only a short period of time (heck, we've had our girl for only short period of time also) so you might find that he will do some of those things later on. It took months before Cameron showed any kind of interest in food (either on the counter, the floor or in our hands). Now, she eats very quickly whatever food she finds on the floor (we need laser focus when we walk her in a park). She also used not to play with us, now she does. Two weeks ago, she learned that she can whine for attention so it's been a whine-fest at home whenever she wants scratches.

And for the growling at other dogs on the walk, you can see if he is reactive or just not comfortable for now (as he is till quite new). Reactive dogs can be trained so if he is reactive, you can work with a trainer to help on that front.

Cameron growls when she meets new dogs, but it's her play growl. Freaks the other dog's owner half of the time, but we've learned to make the difference as she growls quite a bit when playing.